Before you post please read how to get help
braingateway
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by braingateway »

Sum up all replies above:
Mint-KDE has never existed.
Mint community did not and will not have any interest in using, developing and maintaining Mint-KDE.
Hence, the KDE users should either get used to it or migrate to another distro.
Affirmative!

I appreciate the patience and kindly explanations from all of you.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Well, mint will have kde again but only as a version of lmde...and it would probably be out within the next month or two (once boo adds the kde stuff to the finalized version of the latest lmde iso which is already released)....so it will continue in that form, but as a kubuntu based mint kde...you are correct, that is now gone...
and if you prefer not to get involved with the debian testing rolling aspect (which means being more technically oriented, ready to trouble shoot and put up with occasional regressions, breakages, etc) then yes...you should be looking for another distro if you must have kde... :wink:
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

The team behind Linux Mint has shared how they will continue with Linux Mint: GNOME + LXDE based on Ubuntu, GNOME + KDE + Xfce + Fluxbox based on Debian. Don't like it and want KDE based on Ubuntu? There are a million more distros with KDE out there, so if you want to use KDE why keep talking about it? The team has been very clear on their focus, so go explore one of the million other distros that run KDE :wink: Just a few: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mageia, Sabayon, Slackware, Mepis, Scientific Linux, Pardus, and lots more. Even FreeBSD and PC-BSD come with KDE...
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

k357k9 wrote:@dequire
I recommend whole-heartedly that people who love Debian based systems (apt-get XXXX) move to Kubuntu. As the Virginia Slims commercial says...."They've Come A Long Way Baby".
Yes, it is a lot better now. Why doesn't Mint just take Kubuntu, add the "low hanging forbidden fruit", add the Mint Tools, and call it Mint KDE?
That's how Mint KDE was made up until now...
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

ausminter wrote:You may want KDE but if it isn't reliable then what is the point ?
There has been a lot of people having problems with KDE on the suse forum and they can't really get much support for their problems, in some cases no-one even answers their questions.

The KDE developers have some work to do to get it up to scratch, until then it just makes Linux seem unreliable and many people will judge the OS on that alone.
I love the look of KDE and there are several apps I like from KDE, but I won't use it if it's not reliable.
KDE 4.6 is totally reliable and rock solid in Mint 10, I can't speak for Suse as I don't use it.
nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

At this point should be useful remembering that KDE ( and all other flavours of Mint) are no more CEs since May 2010

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1377

I would like to understand better what happened to all those good intentions....
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

tomp01 wrote:
ausminter wrote:You may want KDE but if it isn't reliable then what is the point ?
There has been a lot of people having problems with KDE on the suse forum and they can't really get much support for their problems, in some cases no-one even answers their questions.

The KDE developers have some work to do to get it up to scratch, until then it just makes Linux seem unreliable and many people will judge the OS on that alone.
I love the look of KDE and there are several apps I like from KDE, but I won't use it if it's not reliable.
KDE 4.6 is totally reliable and rock solid in Mint 10, I can't speak for Suse as I don't use it.
I'm using KDE 4.6.5 on PCLinuxOS with no issues whatsoever.....
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage »

colyn wrote:
tomp01 wrote:

I'm using KDE 4.6.5 on PCLinuxOS with no issues whatsoever.....
KDE 4.7.1 in sabayon runs fantastic!

kage
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

ausminter wrote:I love the look of KDE and there are several apps I like from KDE, but I won't use it if it's not reliable.
Using KDE 4.6.2 on Linux Mint 10 daily, on several desktop & laptop PCs.

Joe
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Plasma from KDE 4.5.1 on Mint 10, grabbed from the repository as "kde-full", used to crash a lot at me. The other KDE components were stable but Plasma kept crashing.
edit: but of course KDE has improved since the 4.5.1 days. 4.6 has the reputation of being a stable KDE4 version.
Last edited by AlbertP on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

tomp01 wrote:KDE 4.6 is totally reliable and rock solid in Mint 10, I can't speak for Suse as I don't use it.
As the resident KDE 4.x basher, 4.6.x is what got KDE back on track, reliable, and solid. I won't go "rock solid" as there are minor issues, and *I* have issues with some of the decisions KDE as a whole made/is making on things... but after 2 years of maturing its almost back to 3.5.10 levels, almost. I still spend way too much time undo'ng things to get back to normal.

4.7.1 improves on things, but also hurts things ie: KMail.... :twisted: :evil: we just can't leave things alone, can we?!??
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
eric71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eric71 »

I mentioned earlier in this thread (or maybe the other one about Mint KDE development) that I had been trying different distros while waiting for KDE LMDE. These included Kubuntu Oneiric Beta2, Chakra, Sabayon, Zeven OS Neptune, and LMDE 201109 with KDE-standard added and all Gnome stuff removed, as well as Mageia 1 on my main partition. KDE has been nothing but stable in all of them. I don't care so much about "activities" so the bump from 4.6.5 to 4.7 doesn't make much a difference to me. When it comes down to it, differences in KDE were minimal between the distros - the main difference is the distro and its tools that KDE is sitting on top of. Kubuntu ran far heavier than all but Sabayon, and Muon gave me some troubles. Muon also gave me troubles in Neptune (Debian testing based KDE distro) and it has been a while since the last release so there were a ton of updates. Sabayon's package manager was powerful but clumsy and ugly as sin. Chakra is very slick and the package management isn't bad either - I'm just missing a really low latency kernel in it which I use for audio production (Liquorix provides this in Debian based distros, Ubuntu has one in a ppa, and TMB kernels for Mageia fill the need. PCLinuxOS and OpenSUSE always choke on this requirement too.) or I might use Chakra. But the real winners as far as resource use and comfort were Mageia and LMDE + KDE. I've been a Debian fan for years and feel more comfortable with Debian based distros and the recent release of Update Pack 3 has got me excited about LMDE again. Mageia's inherited Drak tools are pretty nice, though. I can see Mageia being a better recommendation to novice linux users.

It really comes down to experience levels and personal preference. A KDE LMDE will be perfect for some of us. Some would do just as well or better with another distro. I'll continue with two partitions, one with Mageia and the other with LMDE - Gnome + KDE until the real LMDE KDE comes along.
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rec9140 »

eric71 wrote: much about "activities" so the bump from 4.6.5 to 4.7 doesn't make much a difference to me. When it comes down to it, differences in KDE were minimal between the distros - the main difference is the distro and its tools that KDE is sitting on top of. Kubuntu ran far heavier than all but Sabayon,
Can you please elaborate on this "heavy" which I will translate to what others call "bloat." I don't understand this statement...please elaborate.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

eric71 wrote:I mentioned earlier in this thread (or maybe the other one about Mint KDE development) that I had been trying different distros while waiting for KDE LMDE. These included Kubuntu Oneiric Beta2, Chakra, Sabayon, Zeven OS Neptune, and LMDE 201109 with KDE-standard added and all Gnome stuff removed, as well as Mageia 1 on my main partition. KDE has been nothing but stable in all of them. I don't care so much about "activities" so the bump from 4.6.5 to 4.7 doesn't make much a difference to me. When it comes down to it, differences in KDE were minimal between the distros - the main difference is the distro and its tools that KDE is sitting on top of. Kubuntu ran far heavier than all but Sabayon, and Muon gave me some troubles. Muon also gave me troubles in Neptune (Debian testing based KDE distro) and it has been a while since the last release so there were a ton of updates. Sabayon's package manager was powerful but clumsy and ugly as sin. Chakra is very slick and the package management isn't bad either - I'm just missing a really low latency kernel in it which I use for audio production (Liquorix provides this in Debian based distros, Ubuntu has one in a ppa, and TMB kernels for Mageia fill the need. PCLinuxOS and OpenSUSE always choke on this requirement too.) or I might use Chakra. But the real winners as far as resource use and comfort were Mageia and LMDE + KDE. I've been a Debian fan for years and feel more comfortable with Debian based distros and the recent release of Update Pack 3 has got me excited about LMDE again. Mageia's inherited Drak tools are pretty nice, though. I can see Mageia being a better recommendation to novice linux users.

It really comes down to experience levels and personal preference. A KDE LMDE will be perfect for some of us. Some would do just as well or better with another distro. I'll continue with two partitions, one with Mageia and the other with LMDE - Gnome + KDE until the real LMDE KDE comes along.
Maybe it's your setup (specific config), as numerous others here I have had no problems what so ever with KDE :)
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

PCLinuxOS is about as perfect and trouble free as it gets.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
eric71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eric71 »

I love KDE and have had no problems with it at all since 4.6 came along.

In reference to heaviness, I was referring to memory consumption. with the same settings in KDE, Kubuntu and Sabayon used a good deal more memory than Mageia and LMDE for instance. Partly due to the respective update managers, and partly due to other processes running in the background. I suppose Kubuntu consumes more memory than LMDE + KDE is for the same reason Ubuntu based Mint uses so much more memory than LMDE Gnome. Ubuntu comes with more processes running in the background - which is often beyond the Linux novice to do much about.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

I'm a former mandriva user. According me mandriva dies because new release 2011 is disaster. Many longtime users abandoned it and migrate to better distros. Including me.
During waiting for that unfortunate Mandriva 2011 release I was running on Linux Mint 11. So I returned here but I try LMDE.

I was always kde fun so I'm looking forward to LMDE Kde.
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

I hope that they don't take the Mepis approach and have so many apps and indeed the KDE 4 itself running on very old versions. Mepis is still using KDE 4.4 for instance. I should point out that Mepis 11 is based on Debian Sid.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

nico wrote:At this point should be useful remembering that KDE ( and all other flavours of Mint) are no more CEs since May 2010

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1377

I would like to understand better what happened to all those good intentions....
It simply means that the Community Editions of Linux Mint (non-official editions or "community" editions) were simply made "official" versions of Linux Mint and are held under the responsibility and quality control of the Linux Mint devs. However, to get right down to brass tacks as they say, nothing's really changed except the label. It went from CE to "Official".

For a long time there was a Linux Mint KDE version and it was based on Kubuntu and the last release was Linux Mint 10 KDE. Too make a long story short, it was decided to move Linux Mint KDE from a Kubuntu base to an LMDE base (Linux Mint Debian Edition) which was based on Debian Testing. Now, Clem also made the decision to take all the development and update paths for all versions of LMDE directly under Linux Mint's control which meant laying in of new hardware and hosting.

So what's the point you rightly ask?

The point to all this is that it has taken quite amount of time to make all this happen and that's just in order to get the LMDE "respin" (with the Gnome 2 desktop environment) out the door. Now that the final version of LMDE has been recently released, the KDE version of LMDE can be worked on. Considering that Boo (the main developer of LM KDE) and Clem want to do a rather major overhaul to the KDE desktop itself in order to make it leaner and more stable, it's going to take some time to get the new KDE edition out the door as well. The good thing about the new version of LM KDE is that you'll only have to install it once and not every 6 months. By the way, the new LM KDE version won't have a version number as in the past.

Hope this helps some. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely »

tomp01 wrote:I hope that they don't take the Mepis approach and have so many apps and indeed the KDE 4 itself running on very old versions. Mepis is still using KDE 4.4 for instance. I should point out that Mepis 11 is based on Debian Sid.
When the developer of Mepis, Warren Woodford , started the initial builds of Mepis 11 he used what he considered to be the most stable versions of the debian packages ( KDE was still in the early 4.6.x releases and had regressions and bugs ) . You will find that there will be some packages used from branches other than debian stable in the release. Warren will not include packages or will look for other versions of a package if it affects the stability of the release.

Previous versions of Mint KDE and most other KDE distributions have more applications included ootb.

KDE 4.4 ???? Mepis 11 is based on 4.5.3 .

Mepis 11 is based on debian sid ??? . Mepis 11 uses a squeeze / stable base with some packages from the other branches as I mentioned earlier in this post.

Please get your facts straight before posting incorrect and misleading information.

As for using an LMDE base for the KDE release and using the testing branch it will require a lot of work on Boo's part if people want the latest KDE versions and down the road it will not be easy when Wheezy goes into it's freeze period . Sid would be the best branch to keep it rolling and somewhat current. Over the last year or so Debian has made changes to how they are managing the KDE releases and they are usually behind a bit from the current KDE release. One advantage with the Kubuntu base was that Kubuntu releases the debian packages for the latest KDE version very quickly.

Return to “KDE”