Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by tomp01 »

craig10x wrote:I didn't find it to be that way...i'd feel safer and more comfortable running kubuntu...even with some of the initial bugs of the newest edition (out next week i believe?)....
If i were a kde guy, i'd be going with kubuntu 11.10 not with Mint KDE LMDE myself :wink:

The reason i can stay with mint is because i am a "gnome kind of guy" and of course, the main edition is gnome and ubuntu based... :)

And i wouldn't go ubuntu 11.10 simply because i am not very fond of unity...
Mint gives me ubuntu with the desktop i very much prefer :mrgreen:
I have Ubuntu with both Unity and Gnome 3, you can switch very easily by selecting Ubuntu or Gnome at the login screen.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Quite so :wink: ....though the first thing i use to do when running ubuntu (with the classic desktop) was to delete the bottom panel, move the top panel down to the bottom, and delete the 3 menus on top that "fan out" to a more slab slide menu (like gno menu for example)...Mint already comes that way out of the box :lol:

So, yeah, you're right...i guess i could run ubuntu at that, by switching to classic mode and then customizing the way i use to...though of course, with mint it's already "prepared" that way :wink:
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

craig10x wrote:Quite so :wink: ....though the first thing i use to do when running ubuntu (with the classic desktop) was to delete the bottom panel, move the top panel down to the bottom, and delete the 3 menus on top that "fan out" to a more slab slide menu (like gno menu for example)...Mint already comes that way out of the box :lol:

So, yeah, you're right...i guess i could run ubuntu at that, by switching to classic mode and then customizing the way i use to...though of course, with mint it's already "prepared" that way :wink:
Gnome 3 is quite radically different from Gnome 2, it's more like Unity.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Gnome 3 fallback mode (without shell) looks more like Gnome 2, than like Unity.

By the way, this topic is about Mint 11 KDE, but we're talking about Gnome and Unity.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DrTeeth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrTeeth »

@ craig10x

A tad OT...the thing I dislike most about Unity and Gnome 3 is the LARGE icons that I cannot seem to be able to shrink.

DrT
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

AlbertP wrote:Gnome 3 fallback mode (without shell) looks more like Gnome 2, than like Unity.

By the way, this topic is about Mint 11 KDE, but we're talking about Gnome and Unity.
If LMDE KDE is as unstable and trailing edge as some are saying there will be a lot of defections back to Kubuntu and maybe Ubuntu based distros. I hope that is not the case because I really love MInt, I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot/feet.
JeffShepherd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JeffShepherd »

tomp01 wrote:
AlbertP wrote:Gnome 3 fallback mode (without shell) looks more like Gnome 2, than like Unity.

If LMDE KDE is as unstable and trailing edge as some are saying there will be a lot of defections back to Kubuntu and maybe Ubuntu based distros. I hope that is not the case because I really love MInt, I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot/feet.
I have used Debian with KDE and had absolutely no stability problems at all so I see every reason for the same to be true of LMDE since that is Debian based.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

tomp01 wrote:If LMDE KDE is as unstable and trailing edge as some are saying there will be a lot of defections back to Kubuntu and maybe Ubuntu based distros. I hope that is not the case because I really love MInt, I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot/feet.
You can count on LMDE KDE being "trailing edge" as compared to Kubuntu. Debian Testing will always be behind Ubuntu as far as up-to-date system and apps. Debian's priority has always been stability rather than cutting edge.
Mint MATE 20.1
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

KDE LMDE will be exactly the same as LMDE...just that it will have the kde desktop and whatever customizing that "boo" does...
So, it's obviously not going to be like the kubuntu based mint kde...it will be debian testing and just like tdockery97 described... :wink:

And that includes the chance of breakages and regressions...as i previously mentioned, if i was going to run kde, i would be looking at kubuntu 11.10 and not
mint kde debian edition...I did LMDE twice and already reported on my experiences...i'm sticking with ubuntu based distros myself...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I'm looking forward to the final release of Kubuntu 11.10 this coming week. I've tried the Beta and like KDE 4.7, and with just a couple of minor glitches Kubuntu ran great. Can't wait to see how the final does.
Mint MATE 20.1
Chuckie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chuckie »

tdockery97 wrote:I'm looking forward to the final release of Kubuntu 11.10 this coming week. I've tried the Beta and like KDE 4.7, and with just a couple of minor glitches Kubuntu ran great. Can't wait to see how the final does.
That's better than waiting a lifetime.
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

Chuckie wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:I'm looking forward to the final release of Kubuntu 11.10 this coming week. I've tried the Beta and like KDE 4.7, and with just a couple of minor glitches Kubuntu ran great. Can't wait to see how the final does.
That's better than waiting a lifetime.
Why is Linux Mint 10 still using KDE 4.6.2?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Because Linux Mint 10 is a stable release which only gets bugfixes and security fixes through the updates, and no new versions of software when the old version works fine too.
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

AlbertP wrote:Because Linux Mint 10 is a stable release which only gets bugfixes and security fixes through the updates, and no new versions of software when the old version works fine too.
I have Kubuntu Backports enabled in Software Sources and it still doesn't update.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You also have to enable the Ubuntu (without K) backports repo. You can add this line to Software Sources (the Others tab):

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu natty-backports main universe multiverse restricted.
Enabling Mint's backports on the frontpage of Software Sources is senseless as that repo is empty.
robertallen79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robertallen79 »

I'm hoping this is release soon, if LMKD is as good as Gnome I will all ears for it, heck for three days I was pulling my hair out over Kubuntu and Ubuntu trying to get my wireless card out, with windows wireless card installer it just made it as simple can be. hate to say it but you guys just made a linux user out of me

Though one question will the menu on LMKD be anything like Kubuntu, I just like that menu design, of the clean and simple?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You'll be able to add Kubuntu's menu with right-click > Add to Panel, I think. At least, if Kubuntu uses Lancelot or Kickoff or any other menu that comes with KDE (I never used Kubuntu myself). When it uses its own custom menu, you won't find it on Debian but perhaps you can install the DEB.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Boo usually puts the Lancelot Launcher as default in KDE. The kickoff and old style menus are still available, so you can set it up as you like.
Mint MATE 20.1
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That's true. I prefer to use Lancelot on KDE and I have seen more users with this opinion on the forum. I think we can be 100% sure that using Lancelot will be done easily, if not out-of-the-box.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

lancelot is, in KDE, the closest you can get to mintmenu

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “KDE”