Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomp01

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by tomp01 »

AlbertP wrote:You also have to enable the Ubuntu (without K) backports repo. You can add this line to Software Sources (the Others tab):

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu natty-backports main universe multiverse restricted.
Enabling Mint's backports on the frontpage of Software Sources is senseless as that repo is empty.
Thanks for that, unfortunately it screwed up somehow. I am not worried though as I have Ubuntu 11.10, Zorin OS and Mepis 11 on various partitions. Thank God, for Ubuntu One! I will try Kubuntu again and LMDE when it comes out.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

tdockery97 wrote:I'm looking forward to the final release of Kubuntu 11.10 this coming week. I've tried the Beta and like KDE 4.7, and with just a couple of minor glitches Kubuntu ran great. Can't wait to see how the final does.
Me too...even though i have always been more of a "gnome person" and have looked at kubuntu before, maybe this version will "sway" me :wink:
Shouldn't be long now...i guess it should be on the mirrors by thursday morning... :)

I'm getting kind of tired of this whole gnome 3, unity, shell business...at least KDE has a more "traditional" style of desktop...and i am not really that fond of lxde, xfce, fluxbox, etc...so KDE is about the only possible alternative i could consider...

I always thought kubuntu looks very "polished" for sure...

I guess tdockery97 decided he would rather "switch then fight" :wink: :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I'm pretty sure my primary OS will always be LMDE KDE, but Kubuntu 11.10 should make an excellent backup on my hard drive should LMDE run into any temporary problems. And the KDE 4.7.1 is pretty nice to use. I imagine it will be at least another six months before it hits Debian Testing. I'm trying to decide whether to d/l the Oct 12 daily build or wait until tomorrow morning. They are probably the same thing, and tomorrow the servers will be jammed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

What is the prognosis of the development of the next version of KDE that was supposedly to be completed just after xfce came out and the new rolling release of lmde. It seems as though that was just put on the back burner and forgot about.....nothing more has been said as to it's progress or potential release.....cheers

Andrew
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

andrew5859 wrote:What is the prognosis of the development of the next version of KDE that was supposedly to be completed just after xfce came out and the new rolling release of lmde. It seems as though that was just put on the back burner and forgot about.....nothing more has been said as to it's progress or potential release.....cheers

Andrew
Been wondering the same thing. I understand that there are some changes to be made to use the Debian base, but it appears that nothing at all is being done. I have a lot of respect for Boo and his work, but I've grown so accustomed to my current setup I will probably stick with it rather than go with the next KDE iso.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

andrew5859 wrote:What is the prognosis of the development of the next version of KDE that was supposedly to be completed just after xfce came out and the new rolling release of lmde. It seems as though that was just put on the back burner and forgot about.....nothing more has been said as to it's progress or potential release.....cheers

Andrew
I thought the same, LMDE was released ages ago now and there's not been any indication about KDE whatsoever.
Already switched one PC in the house to PCLinuxOS (not really liking it) and eagerly awaiting Kubuntu and OpenSUSE (RC1 Today :) ).

With the move to LMDE (and the seemingly high number of breakages) Mint KDE may not be for me anyway.
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

Guys,

Can we have some optimism here. LMDE KDE has been announced and until we hear anything from official sources can we please stop doom mongering.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

In case anyone is interested....kubuntu 11.10 is now out...the mirrors are slow right now of course (probably from so many downloading it...lol)... :wink:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'd use torrent instead. That way you're also helping other people by seeding the parts of the ISO file you have already gotten on your computer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

regarding the news about LMDE-KDE, Clem wrote this a few days ago
Clem Says:
October 10th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

@All: About KDE/Fluxbox, the release of the new LMDE ISOs and recently of Update Pack 3 give a stable base for Boo and Kendall to work on but don’t underestimate the work they need to produce. Similar to Gnome and Xfce, these editions will be easier to maintain in the future, but migrating them can be complicated. Personally I’ll be focused on Linux Mint 12 until its release, after that I can help push these editions or even take over their maintenance as I did with Xfce, depending on Boo’s and Kendall’s availabilities.
so, it seems the KDE ed. is coming with or without Boo :o
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks for quoting that zerozero. I had missed the post originally. I'm getting tired or rebuilding LiveUSBs with Mint 10 KDE but I get the feeling when LMDE KDE comes out it will be more than worth the wait. I'll stay with Mint 10 KDE as my OS rather than going to Kubuntu, despite the lack of updates, and that's just to be able to keep using what some of us call "KDE done right."

@clem and @Boo:
We've been a royal pain and impatient as hell, but this is one user who believes you've made the right choice to go to the LMDE base for the newest KDE version. I may get flamed for saying this, but I know you guys have full plates. I hope I won't have to wait to the holiday season, let alone the new year, to get my KDE upgrade, but I'm not going anywhere. Consider it a response to how you guys have me spoiled with Mint 10 KDE, which made me wish I had ditched Ubuntu a lot sooner.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey Jeff:

No one is doom mongering here.....I merely made a statement and was wondering as to the progress of KDE and that I (or we) haven't heard anything in awhile about it. Nothing was interpeted as doom & I have a great deal of respect for Boo and what he has done, in spite of what he's been through.

Andrew
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

Hi Andrew,

Yep I know you aren't doom mongering :)
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

IIRC, KDE Mint was to be released with the LMDE underpinning due to performance issues.

I have so far installed Kubuntu on a couple of PCs (powerful desktop and mediocre laptop) and performance is not an issue. The release is very polished indeed.

DrT
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

DrTeeth wrote:IIRC, KDE Mint was to be released with the LMDE underpinning due to performance issues.

I have so far installed Kubuntu on a couple of PCs (powerful desktop and mediocre laptop) and performance is not an issue. The release is very polished indeed.

DrT
I have to agree with that. I'm currently running Kubuntu 11.10 (fully updated Kubuntu 11.10 beta 1) in a test partition and it's the most bug free and stable Kubuntu I've ever run. In fact it's the best KDE centric distro I've run yet. No Akonadi based crashes, no Nepomuk/Strigi crashes, not even a PolicyKit(sp?) crash since the last couple of batches of updates came in. Yes, it's still fairly resource intensive (640 MBs at login with the 64 bit version) but the OS is very responsive and feels rock solid. Besides, KDE is not supposed to be a light Desktop Environment in the first place.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

@ kmb42vt

Too true!

DrT
manny

Post by manny »

I agree with all of you...we are scratching our heads waiting for Linux Mint to inform us when a new KDE release will happen, we have been waiting patiently since early May but not luck. I guess it is not their priority at this time and got busy trying to figure out how best to serve Gnome editions in the future.
Main time, I installed on my machine Pardus 1011.2 and today Kubuntu 11.10 and I'm very impressed on both of them, each with their strengths and very few weaknesses. I'm greatly surprise with the new Kubuntu really, KDE is becoming such a nice environment that is a joy to work on and hard not to love it. I wish LM comes with a strong KDE edition soon, I always loved the minty taste of the OS but...when?
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Replaced PCLinuxOS on my spare machine with Kubuntu 11.10 and I must say I am well impressed.

As others have already said, I think this is the best KDE distro to date (and by some margin).
braingateway

Post by braingateway »

Thanks to hkmb42vt, manny, Fand angio, etc, I tried Kubuntu 11.10. It seems very good.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I checked out the live disc of kubuntu 11.10 and it seems very nice..i am probably going to install it over the weekend....Although i have always been a gnome person, i am trying to find an alternative desktop to it because of the gnome 2 to gnome 3 and unity/shell business (which i don't care for) Kde seems the best choice for an alternative since i am not really into the lightweight distros like lxde, xfce, fluxbox....

Hope it works out...i am keeping my fingers crossed :wink:
At least then i could keep a "conventional desktop" for the long run...

Oh...and the reason i am not going for kde lmde is because i have tried lmde twice already and decided that "rolling" is not for me (too many regressions/breakages and fussing over your system)...

If Mint KDE had stayed ubuntu based, i would have given that a try...that is why i am going with Kubuntu as i prefer an ubuntu base :)

Return to “Software & Applications”