Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by AlbertP »

BostonPeng wrote:When I get done my normal Tuesday errands I'll have to see if there's a way to make KDE the default dm. I use GNOME so seldom I'm feeling it's just taking up space and resources.
Remove GDM from software or package manager and you're done. KDM (if installed) will appear.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

For KDE fans who can't wait for LMDE KDE, OpenSUSE12.1 is out now!

http://news.opensuse.org/2011/11/16/ope ... gn=counter
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

As I understand it, Mint--and any other distro--is way more than a theme and a collection of applications. When you install something like Mint (or Mepis) much is preconfigured for you, and how it's preconfigured is part of what makes one distro different from another.

The closest I've come to Mepis is AntiX, and I'm not impressed. They made some very strange choices for the apps that come on the install CD, and some of the configurations aren't to my liking (yes, I know it's a matter of taste).

Then there's the customized programming, like Mint Update, and the idea of the local repository--which is brilliant, IMO. I have great faith that Linux Mint 11 KDE will be something truly impressive.
Mint17 KDE
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Keep in mind that antiX is designed for older computers, with choices that you may not like when you're using a modern computer which can run heavier software (like KDE - this topic is in the KDE forum).
davidvrbanec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidvrbanec »

Fandangio wrote:For KDE fans who can't wait for LMDE KDE, OpenSUSE12.1 is out now!

I think that Debian based distros (.deb) are better than .rpm based distros. This is just my opinion ;).
tomp01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tomp01 »

davidvrbanec wrote:
Fandangio wrote:For KDE fans who can't wait for LMDE KDE, OpenSUSE12.1 is out now!

I think that Debian based distros (.deb) are better than .rpm based distros. This is just my opinion ;).
Agree.
manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

Fandangio, tried to download the ISO but connection was extremely slow. I tried Open Suse before but it didn't work well for me. Could you tell us your experience with 12.1? Hope it is a good release and works as expected.

Cheers!
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage »

manny wrote:Fandangio, tried to download the ISO but connection was extremely slow. I tried Open Suse before but it didn't work well for me. Could you tell us your experience with 12.1? Hope it is a good release and works as expected.

Cheers!
SuSE was my first Linux love. In the beginning it was great!
But then she appeared to be pretty dependent
And she was gaining weight...
Then we split up

I still can't help looking once in a while at her and then realizing it was the best to split up.

kage
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

AlbertP wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:When I get done my normal Tuesday errands I'll have to see if there's a way to make KDE the default dm. I use GNOME so seldom I'm feeling it's just taking up space and resources.
Remove GDM from software or package manager and you're done. KDM (if installed) will appear.
Shiney! That was so easy! And I've even lost That ugly GNOME login screen. Dude I owe you at least a couple of rounds for that tasty advice.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

davidvrbanec wrote:I think that Debian based distros (.deb) are better than .rpm based distros. This is just my opinion ;).
I used to feel that way, but I've had the KDE versions of both PCLOS and Fedora installed here for quite some time now, along with a handful of Debian-based distros, and I know longer feel that either Debian-based or .rpm-based is better than the other. Just different.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

manny wrote:Fandangio, tried to download the ISO but connection was extremely slow. I tried Open Suse before but it didn't work well for me. Could you tell us your experience with 12.1? Hope it is a good release and works as expected.

Cheers!
I will probably do the install over the weekend, and be sure to post here when I do.
Did you try downloading via torrent?
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
davidvrbanec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidvrbanec »

MALsPa wrote:
davidvrbanec wrote:I think that Debian based distros (.deb) are better than .rpm based distros. This is just my opinion ;).
I used to feel that way, but I've had the KDE versions of both PCLOS and Fedora installed here for quite some time now, along with a handful of Debian-based distros, and I know longer feel that either Debian-based or .rpm-based is better than the other. Just different.
True. I spend much of my time checking some other distros with default KDE desktop environment and nothing is good as Debian based distros. Debian KDE is really fast vs Kubuntu. Because of this i hope that next KDE version of Linux Mint will be based upon Debian and not Kubuntu. Debian is rolling release, fast and stable distro :)
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

AlbertP wrote:Keep in mind that antiX is designed for older computers, with choices that you may not like when you're using a modern computer which can run heavier software (like KDE - this topic is in the KDE forum).
The reason I installed it was because I had an old laptop with 128MB ram and needed something light. Trouble is, Antix isn't all that light. I find it creaks & groans loading almost any app except Dillo :)
Mint17 KDE
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

LindseyD. wrote:Trouble is, Antix isn't all that light. I find it creaks & groans loading almost any app except Dillo :)
AntiX is very light compared to other distros. Most distros don't run at all on a 128MB laptop. Mint 10 for example doesn't even run on a computer with 440MB.
And loading modern applications faster just isn't possible with 128MB RAM unless you want to sacrifice your graphical environment and use terminal.
Often you can easily add more RAM to a laptop: http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/in ... emory.html
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

AlbertP wrote: AntiX is very light compared to other distros. Most distros don't run at all on a 128MB laptop.
Believe it or not, I had an old version of Kubuntu running on it. AntiX is no snappier. I'll be trying Puppy next, I suppose.
And loading modern applications faster just isn't possible with 128MB RAM unless you want to sacrifice your graphical environment and use terminal.
One of the reasons AnitX doesn't impress me is that the apps aren't modern. Except for, perhaps, Synaptic, which loads much quicker than one would expect.
Often you can easily add more RAM to a laptop: http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/in ... emory.html
Thanks for this. I'll check it out.
Mint17 KDE
cloggers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloggers »

When you install KDE on the Gnome LMDE edition which version of KDE is available ??
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

cloggers wrote:When you install KDE on the Gnome LMDE edition which version of KDE is available ??
You'll be using the Debian repos, so whatever's in there is what you'll get:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

As I understand it, LMDE is based on Debian testing, so those are the repos you want. However, I've also seen where you can change to Debian stable--in which case, those are the repos you'd want to search.
Mint17 KDE
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

cloggers wrote:When you install KDE on the Gnome LMDE edition which version of KDE is available ??
You get KDE 4.6.5.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
davidvrbanec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidvrbanec »

KDE on Debian testing is little bit out of date, but hey, newest software is not always best and stable software. Debian developers fix KDE and other bugs, because of that Debian is awesome :)
cloggers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloggers »

Of course the newest software is not always the greatest but nevertheless it's a pity that LMDE offers KDE 4.6.5.
The current KDE is at 4.7.3 and that is a big step. Not only the Debian devs are bug squashing, the KDE crew is improving
their product too. It is my fear that an upcoming KDE LMDE is lagging too far behind on the KDE editions.

Return to “KDE”