Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BostonPeng

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by BostonPeng »

I may have to see if there's a way to get the newer KDE on KDE without having to wait for it to hit the repo. Is it just me, and does anyone have a clue card on how to accomplish it for me?
manny

Post by manny »

cloggers wrote:Of course the newest software is not always the greatest but nevertheless it's a pity that LMDE offers KDE 4.6.5.
The current KDE is at 4.7.3 and that is a big step. Not only the Debian devs are bug squashing, the KDE crew is improving
their product too. It is my fear that an upcoming KDE LMDE is lagging too far behind on the KDE editions.
This is my concern also if LM moves to LMDE, we are going to be lagging behind to the latest updates. In my opinion having a Kubuntu based release with support for 5 years would be much better. I'm running Kubuntu and I get the updates just minutes after they are released. Not mentioning the advantages that Ubuntu offers on drivers support.

Chhers!
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

Clem and Linux Mint Team, please create LMDE KDE release because Debian base is better than Ubuntu glitchy base. ;)
colyn

Post by colyn »

cloggers wrote:Of course the newest software is not always the greatest but nevertheless it's a pity that LMDE offers KDE 4.6.5.
The current KDE is at 4.7.3 and that is a big step. Not only the Debian devs are bug squashing, the KDE crew is improving
their product too. It is my fear that an upcoming KDE LMDE is lagging too far behind on the KDE editions.
I'd rather stick with 4.6.5 till KDE fixes the many bugs in 4.7.3

The only good so far is desktop effects work..

Kmail is no longer usable and the icon ghosting after closing a program is still a big problem..

Konqueror crashes when trying to download files..
manny

Post by manny »

davidvrbanec wrote:Clem and Linux Mint Team, please create LMDE KDE release because Debian base is better than Ubuntu glitchy base. ;)
Have you tried the Ubuntu's glitchy base Kubuntu 11.10 KDE 4.7.3? If you have, would you please expose the glitches you found and how negatively it compares with LMDE in terms of easy of installation, software updates and hardware support? With your experience on both platforms which one would you recommend to a new Linux user; LMDE?... Why?

In the event LM decides to go to LMDE-KDE you bet I'm going to install it and try to use it, I can manage to do things under the hood. But don't dismerit the quality of Kubuntu 11.10 which in my opinion is very good. However, a Mintified KDE based on a "glitchy Kubuntu" would be just awesome.
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

manny wrote:
davidvrbanec wrote:Clem and Linux Mint Team, please create LMDE KDE release because Debian base is better than Ubuntu glitchy base. ;)
Have you tried the Ubuntu's glitchy base Kubuntu 11.10 KDE 4.7.3? If you have, would you please expose the glitches you found and how negatively it compares with LMDE in terms of easy of installation, software updates and hardware support? With your experience on both platforms which one would you recommend to a new Linux user; LMDE?... Why?

In the event LM decides to go to LMDE-KDE you bet I'm going to install it and try to use it, I can manage to do things under the hood. But don't dismerit the quality of Kubuntu 11.10 which in my opinion is very good. However, a Mintified KDE based on a "glitchy Kubuntu" would be just awesome.
I have currently installed Kubuntu 11.10. I upgraded it from 11.04 to 11.10 and after that I have a lot of problems. Windows after i close it they stay existed in task manager list. Sometime my computer wont shut down and then i need pres control+alt+f1 to type sudo halt. This bug or problem is very annoying. This Ubuntu upgrade processes always crashes something and cause instability of your operating system, and Debian don't have that upgrade process, because of that I think that Debian rolling release cycle is better than closed release as Ubuntu/Kubuntu has it.
You can install proprietary drivers in synaptic, in my case for ATI graphic cards you type fglrx and install it if open source drivers don't work well for you. In my case LMDE is more stable than Ubuntu based Linux Mint or any other distro because Debian developers fix upstream KDE of Gnome isues, or any other software bugs. Because of that smarty and awesome policy and developers Debian is so rock solid and stable.
manny

Post by manny »

I have currently installed Kubuntu 11.10. I upgraded it from 11.04 to 11.10 and after that I have a lot of problems. Windows after i close it they stay existed in task manager list. Sometime my computer wont shut down and then i need pres control+alt+f1 to type sudo halt. This bug or problem is very annoying. This Ubuntu upgrade processes always crashes something and cause instability of your operating system, and Debian don't have that upgrade process, because of that I think that Debian rolling release cycle is better than closed release as Ubuntu/Kubuntu has it.
You can install proprietary drivers in synaptic, in my case for ATI graphic cards you type fglrx and install it if open source drivers don't work well for you. In my case LMDE is more stable than Ubuntu based Linux Mint or any other distro because Debian developers fix upstream KDE of Gnome isues, or any other software bugs. Because of that smarty and awesome policy and developers Debian is so rock solid and stable.
It is well known in Ubuntu that distro-upgrade not always works properly and a new installation always been the preferred way. This is nothing to do with the quality of the OS itself, which in my opinion is excellent. Next Kubuntu release will be a 5 year LTS and that makes it very appealing to me. If Clem decides to port KDE to LMDE that will be fine to me too, at least I will be able to compare both and choose the one I like the best. If he decides to go to Kubuntu's base I think it will be a winner also. Whatever is easier for him.

I've been running Kubuntu 11.10 since release in a fresh install and it's been the most solid Linux distro so far.

Cheers! :D
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

LMDE installation (on my machine) took approx. 7-8 minutes and in the whole procedure is not too complicated; relatively easy i can say. Nvidia drivers installation is a piece of cakes; download a few packages, run a command, reboot. Upgrading your system is far more flexible than in ubuntu based editions; you choose between latest repos (default selection), incoming, testing, sid.
Although a xfce (and openbox) fan, i am running xfce side by side with kde. KDE starts at less than 250 mb's and the whole system is very responsive. Not a glitch so far.

KDE 4.7 has not reached sid repos yet.
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

manny wrote:
It is well known in Ubuntu that distro-upgrade not always works properly and a new installation always been the preferred way. This is nothing to do with the quality of the OS itself, which in my opinion is excellent. Next Kubuntu release will be a 5 year LTS and that makes it very appealing to me. If Clem decides to port KDE to LMDE that will be fine to me too, at least I will be able to compare both and choose the one I like the best. If he decides to go to Kubuntu's base I think it will be a winner also. Whatever is easier for him.

I've been running Kubuntu 11.10 since release in a fresh install and it's been the most solid Linux distro so far.

Cheers! :D
I believe that your fresh install of kubuntu 11.10 work great. But my upgraded kubuntu 11.10 dont work very well as it should be.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

problem with these upgrades is there've been some major changes in KDE. as someone noted Kmail has issue - well yes and no. it has issues if you try to move to new version, but if you just start with new version it should be ok. i dont' use Kmail or Konqueror but Mozilla and Thunderbird. So didnt' see any of those bugs. i too am waiting for next LTS to move the current 10.10 to it. it will have to be a fresh install because i used a few PPA.

Debian is good, especially stable and for a bit older computers. But still it is missing some things. I think MInt filled them in nicely, however i am not prepared to tinker with OS too much. i just want ti to run the programmes i need it to run. I hope this project continues. But i would also like to see KDE Minty version of the next LTS.
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

mastablasta wrote:problem with these upgrades is there've been some major changes in KDE. as someone noted Kmail has issue - well yes and no. it has issues if you try to move to new version, but if you just start with new version it should be ok. i dont' use Kmail or Konqueror but Mozilla and Thunderbird. So didnt' see any of those bugs. i too am waiting for next LTS to move the current 10.10 to it. it will have to be a fresh install because i used a few PPA.

Debian is good, especially stable and for a bit older computers. But still it is missing some things. I think MInt filled them in nicely, however i am not prepared to tinker with OS too much. i just want ti to run the programmes i need it to run. I hope this project continues. But i would also like to see KDE Minty version of the next LTS.
I am waiting for LMDE KDE release, but it would be great for all you Kubuntu users to release Linux Mint 13 with KDE desktop, this release will have 5 years of support. :)
Tex-Twil

Post by Tex-Twil »

Hi,
so I was browsing through this topic but I couldn't find an estimated release date for Mint 11 KDE :?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Mint doesn't set release dates in advance
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

There is no Linux Mint KDE based on the the main edition. At least for LM11.

Clem has addressed this several pages back - > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p486563
clem wrote:Hi,

I'm here to address a growing concern within the community and that is the release of the next KDE Edition. Thanks to the people who brought this to my attention.

We've always been consistent since the start of the project and always made sure everybody understood that we didn't care about deadlines as much as we did quality. I estimated a release in August, that's true, but I also consistently underlined that we release "when ready", and until we're happy with what we have, we do not release it.

Early this year, Boo came up with an ISO based on Ubuntu that was 90% there in terms of quality. There was an ongoing debate at the time and the performance was an issue. Eventually we jointly made the decision not to release this ISO and to switch to LMDE instead. What you need to understand here, is that Boo is a volunteer, that the LMDE base is brand new to him, and that I personally was involved in releasing a major update for this base. Whether it's Boo with KDE or Kendall with Fluxbox, they both preferred to wait until LMDE was released before attacking this new base, and when they did, things weren't as simply as updating their respective editions.

I didn't get any news from Boo lately and I'm not sure what his progress is on this new base. He's a volunteer, and as such his work and personal life come first. I'm sure he's got good reasons, and after working with him for so long and building such a successful relationship, I won't be quick in deciding whether he gets replaced or not.

I'm personally giving 100% to the main edition of Linux Mint 12 right now to make sure we come up with a quality desktop around the end of November. It's a huge task, perhaps the biggest since the beginning of our project, as it's a great challenge not only to keep what we have in a working state (a Gnome traditional desktop) but also to adapt to new technologies such as Gnome 3. The work we do on the main edition doesn't simply affect Gnome, it impacts all Mint editions, whether it's on an Ubuntu or a Debian base. During that time, all our focus is fully dedicated to that task.

In December, with Linux Mint 12 released and LMDE in good shape I will hopefully have the time to focus on KDE. If Boo isn't back by then, I'll address the issue myself. Based on all these facts we might confirm the switch to LMDE or we might revert to Ubuntu and continue on as before. Either way, the presence or absence of Boo in this project will be an important factor in the decision.

I can't tell you when you'll see a release, but December this year we'll have some news and if nothing is ready, I'll personally work on it myself. You've seen how quickly the Xfce edition now follows LMDE, they get released together. One of the reasons that was done initially was because Merlwiz wasn't as available anymore. LMDE simplifies that process, though a fourth edition is a little too much for me to take on on my own.

I understand your frustration and I hope you'll be patient. As far as communication goes, if we didn't give you any news, it's simply because we didn't have any. I work full time on Linux Mint and I'm able to give it 24 hours a day. Boo isn't. Comes December, if things haven't improved, I'll be able to make a difference and take long term decisions for this edition to get proper maintenance.

Thank you for your patience and for your understanding.

Clem.

Topic Locked

Return to “Software & Applications”