Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
celticdaddio

Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by celticdaddio »

What is the Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE? ...or did I miss it perhaps?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by xenopeek »

I think KDE will be released on LMDE instead of Linux Mint 11.
The decision was taken to migrate our KDE and Fluxbox editions to LMDE. Going forward our project will support 2 desktops with a frozen Ubuntu base (Gnome and LXDE) and 4 desktops on top of a rolling Debian base (Gnome, KDE, Xfce and Fluxbox).
Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1799
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hopefully it will follow not too far behind the Gnome and Xfce editions.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
celticdaddio

Post by celticdaddio »

When are those to be released?
tdockery97 wrote:Hopefully it will follow not too far behind the Gnome and Xfce editions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

GNOME and Xfce edition of LMDE are in Release Candidate currently, so almost done. http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79217
colyn

Post by colyn »

celticdaddio wrote:When are those to be released?
tdockery97 wrote:Hopefully it will follow not too far behind the Gnome and Xfce editions.
Mint does not follow a strict release schedule like Ubuntu. It is released once it is determined to be stable enough for RC..

The team has to fix a lot of Ubuntu released bugs so that takes time..
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

If you really don't want to wait, roll your own:
Image :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

tdockery97 wrote:If you really don't want to wait, roll your own:

That is rude, here is one for you zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Not trying to be rude, just suggesting an alternative. I apologize if it sounded rude.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

tdockery97 wrote:Not trying to be rude, just suggesting an alternative. I apologize if it sounded rude.
That's the way it looked, but now that you made yourself clear, no harm done, it did not offend me as such, but i thought the way it was written i think that it may have looked rude to the original poster.

No harm done, but this waiting is a killer you must admit.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It is indeed, especially since it will be the debut of the Mint Debian KDE edition.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
celticdaddio

Post by celticdaddio »

Not offended... perhaps you can point me to information on how to roll my own linux mint distro?

CD
tdockery97 wrote:If you really don't want to wait, roll your own:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

"Not offended... perhaps you can point me to information on how to roll my own linux mint distro?"

How to make your own unofficial version of Linux Mint Debian KDE:

You want to start off with the lightest desktop possible to minimize the amount of stuff you will need to remove. My personal choice was Linux Mint XFCE 201104, because the new 201108 wasn't out yet.

I wanted the standard KDE desktop that usually comes with a distro. I chose to install kde-standard using Package Manager because kde-full installs every possible thing available for KDE, a but much IMO. During the installation of kde-standard, it will ask you which login manager you want to handle login. If you click on it a drop-down appears and you can select KDM, which is what you probably want if you would like your result to be fully KDE.

After it all installs, the only difficult part comes in. It all depends on how much of the original DE you want to retain. I wanted to have it be real KDE, so I uninstalled everything I felt would be safe to remove. I uninstalled any Gnome apps that were still there after that.

You will notice that the Mint Update Debian icon is on your panel as it should be. It is fully functional, and is really the main thing that makes Mint KDE minty.

Since the normal menu for Mint KDE is now Lancelot Launcher, I replaced the kickoff menu with it. You may like the kickoff menu and would rather keep it.

The last thing I did was to find a copy of the Mint KDE icon, and replaced the standard KDE icon with the Mint icon.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
manny

Post by manny »

I really do appreciate what LM is doing for all of us, however I feel some sort of abandon as a KDE user, just see how other environments the developers participates with the users on their forums. I don't know, but I feel we are not treated the same in here. I may be wrong, but that is what I feel anyway.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

manny wrote:I really do appreciate what LM is doing for all of us, however I feel some sort of abandon as a KDE user, just see how other environments the developers participates with the users on their forums. I don't know, but I feel we are not treated the same in here. I may be wrong, but that is what I feel anyway.
I do tend to agree...
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Carl wrote:
manny wrote:I really do appreciate what LM is doing for all of us, however I feel some sort of abandon as a KDE user, just see how other environments the developers participates with the users on their forums. I don't know, but I feel we are not treated the same in here. I may be wrong, but that is what I feel anyway.
I do tend to agree...

I second the emotion, there is no input from any KDE dev as to progress, nor any kind of participation in forums to see what we are thinking or experiencing as far as problems or otherwise.

Andrew
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Yep, just totally forgotten. I don't think kde people are high on the priority list at Mint headquarters. :?
solna

Post by solna »

BubbaBlues wrote:Yep, just totally forgotten. I don't think kde people are high on the priority list at Mint headquarters. :?

most likely we're not hearing anything because they're tossing the idea of whether or not to even release a KDE version of Katya at all, given that it's moving to the Debian edition.

i'm putting my money on there not being a KDE katya at all unless you do like some of us did and just install KDE on top of it.

it's basically the same thing as any KDE release of mint, minus branding and pre-configuration.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

BubbaBlues wrote:Yep, just totally forgotten. I don't think kde people are high on the priority list at Mint headquarters. :?
I think it is a chicken or egg thing... There aren't a ton of Mint KDE users, but what was the last really great Mint KDE release? I currently run Kubuntu having found the last 2 or 3 (or is it 4?) Mint KDE releases to be unusable.

When I first switched to MInt (Bianca) there was pretty much parity between Gnome and KDE...but the gap has widened with every release since. Pretty much left me with the choice to abandon KDE or abandon Mint...still I keep coming back checking to see if things have improved. Still hoping.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
greandreams

Post by greandreams »

tdockery97 wrote:Mint does not follow a strict release schedule like Ubuntu. It is released once it is determined to be stable enough for RC

In other words it could take months for a release especially with the KDE version.

[/quote][/quote]

I agree too. We never were high on the list. Never. In fact I think we're on the bottom of the list now. Maybe not even on the list at all anymore.

And I agree with BubbaBlues that we are probably not going to see a release of a KDE version of Katya at all. The reason I came here because it's been taking even longer that usual for an announcement of the KDE release to come over the RSS feed. Now I find out if there is going to be one it'll be based on Debian. So what if there aren't as many KDE users? There are still plenty I think.

So if you're like me just download the gnome version and install KDE on it and uninstall all the gnome stuff if you want, which is what I've done a few times in the past because it always took so long for the official KDE version to be released. Or check out Kubuntu or even the Fedora KDE version. There's also PCLinuxOS. Or something else. Either way I think us Mint KDE users are not going to see a release anytime soon and even if we do the next version of Mint will be out by then. More then likely from now on I'll grab the latest gnome version and just install KDE from the repos. I always install kde-standard because like tdockery97 says "kde-full installs every possible thing available for KDE, a but much IMO".

So I'll probably stick with Mint as long as they keep releasing versions based on Ubuntu but if they ever go with Debian only I'll probably move to one of those others. Not that Debian is bad, just not my preference. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”