Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

Re: Release Date for Linux Mint 11 KDE

Post by colyn »

nukm wrote: I'm still hanging out with 13.0 and 13.1. AbsoluteLinux from Paul Sherman is a neat Slack spin.
AbsoluteLinux only lists Fluxbox and IceWM as their DE's.. Where is KDE???
nukm

Post by nukm »

Bingo - but still a good spin (AbsoluteLinux). One could always install the Slackware KDE packages from the Slackware repo. The packages are simpatico. Not much point doing that though.

Also, I haven't assumed who is or isn't a contributor to Mint. What I said was if you want KDE, send cash and send enough to hire another dev and make your wishes known. But - you may only get what Clem can do or will do. As Ubuntu becomes less "agreeable", Kubuntu seems fairly conservative at the moment. But, it is Ubuntu and what hasn't changed this time, will change perhaps the next issue. Synaptic is going to be dropped permanently, I think. Obviously, those who can't send cash won't. It isn't that you are "paying" for KDE, but that it is community support.

Obviously, some can't send cash. Thousands of Mint users, right? Clem does not have the resources of Canonical. Perhaps a Mint spin of Slackware KDE would be a reasonable solution to the Ubuntu "avant garde" wave. Unfortunately, the "windows-izing" movement in Linux has its drawbacks as well as its pluses. Quite a few "crossovers" would do well with PuppyLinux or something like it - and save a lot of grief. PuppyLinux is fast and secure. And, simple. Click und point.

I haven't tried openSuse since they returned to their first love, as the intervening years under Novell and its Zimians was enough for me to forget it. Fedora also went "uptown" from FedoraCore which worked perfectly, and I don't envision using Fedora.

I personally find Slackware as fast or faster to set up like I want than to make Kubuntu jump through my hoops, or even Pardus.

I haven't used Mint for sometime now. But, if one looks at what Clem has accomplished, with the assistance of just a handful of associates, from the beginning to this day, it is remarkable. And, he is worthy of support.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Fandangio wrote:
nukm wrote:If you who are so desirous for a KDE Mint would cough up the loot, he could hire a dev, perhaps a maturing University student who also codes and loves Linux.

You make the assumption that people commenting on this KDE thread to not contribute to Mint. Personally I have sponsored Mint for a long time as many others here do. Sadly this month I have stopped sponsoring Mint as my contribution seems only to be going to supporting the development of Mint Gnome (and every other non KDE DE known to man)...
I understand how you feel as a kde fan but you have to keep in mind that Linux Mint has always been a primarily gnome distro...it's only because he had a volunteer (Boo) to do a kde version that there was any kde at all...now it looks like Boo is likely not active with the project anymore...Also, in terms of popularity...75% of mint users use the main edition (gnome) and about an additional 10% use LMDE (also gnome) so that is 85% of the user base :wink:

Look at PcLinuxOs for example, the KDE version IS their main version and is used by the majority of their users...and it looks like their gnome version (which was done by a volunteer...not texstar himself) seems to have disappeared altogether... I suspect he didn't want to get involved in tackling the gnome 3 transition...But over there KDE is king...so you would kind of expect it...

Clem did mention that he would be looking at the kde project in december, after Mint 12 final is released...however at this point he had not decided whether it would be best to do it as a debian testing or remain on ubuntu base...But this means Clem would have to work on it...and that is adding to his already overtaxed development...
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

craig10x wrote:
Fandangio wrote:
nukm wrote:If you who are so desirous for a KDE Mint would cough up the loot, he could hire a dev, perhaps a maturing University student who also codes and loves Linux.

You make the assumption that people commenting on this KDE thread to not contribute to Mint. Personally I have sponsored Mint for a long time as many others here do. Sadly this month I have stopped sponsoring Mint as my contribution seems only to be going to supporting the development of Mint Gnome (and every other non KDE DE known to man)...
I understand how you feel as a kde fan but you have to keep in mind that Linux Mint has always been a primarily gnome distro...it's only because he had a volunteer (Boo) to do a kde version that there was any kde at all...now it looks like Boo is likely not active with the project anymore...Also, in terms of popularity...75% of mint users use the main edition (gnome) and about an additional 10% use LMDE (also gnome) so that is 85% of the user base :wink:

Look at PcLinuxOs for example, the KDE version IS their main version and is used by the majority of their users...and it looks like their gnome version (which was done by a volunteer...not texstar himself) seems to have disappeared altogether... I suspect he didn't want to get involved in tackling the gnome 3 transition...But over there KDE is king...so you would kind of expect it...

Clem did mention that he would be looking at the kde project in december, after Mint 12 final is released...however at this point he had not decided whether it would be best to do it as a debian testing or remain on ubuntu base...But this means Clem would have to work on it...and that is adding to his already overtaxed development...
I am aware of the details Craig. But while KDE is a Mint supported DE I believe that it should be given the treatment is deserves, if it is said that it will be developed after x release then Dev's should really stick to that. If they do not have time for it then they should drop it. I am a realist though so am fully aware of the pressure Clem is under to get the main edition ready.

Personally I am just waiting for OpenSUSE 12.1 on the 16th.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

agree :wink:
actually, it would probably be best if he only had mint main edition and lmde and dropped all the other versions...it would simplify matters for him and allow him to focus the quality on those two editions...and being they are the most used editions...it would make sense...
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Thistleweb posted similar in another thread and I agree about reducing the scope of Mint to provide one or two awesome platforms.

I feel the same about Mint12 and Gnome v's Mate. I feel the Mint team should be the first to make Gnome 3 (shell) truly awesome. Mate seems like a stop gap to me.

edit: Mint 12 looks very interesting and I am going to stick it on one of my PC's. Who knows, I may drop KDE if it is good enough ;)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I have already dropped KDE because Mint 11 was good enough :)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@craig10x:
You can count me among the LMDE users since it came on my new (to me) laptop, but I'm so spoiled by KDE goodness that I couldn't go half a week before bolting KDE on top of it. That's right, I've been spoiled by KDE. I look forward to Clem getting the chance to get our update ready for prime time, but with the combination of KDE and LMDE? I can wait.

Hello, I"m Boston Peng and I'm a KDE addict. :D
JeffShepherd

Post by JeffShepherd »

Those of you who already use KDE on LMDE, what do you do with the gnome bits that appear in the KDE menus?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I pretty much ignore them, although I'm seriously considering trying to remove the GNOME apps since I never use them.
ferri

Post by ferri »

AlbertP wrote:I have already dropped KDE because Mint 11 was good enough :)
I did the same. I'm satisfied. :D
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

Cannot wait for LMDE KDE this December :)
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

davidvrbanec wrote:Cannot wait for LMDE KDE this December :)
I'd like to second that. It'll be the best Xmas present I've had in years :D
Mint17 KDE
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

LindseyD. wrote:
davidvrbanec wrote:Cannot wait for LMDE KDE this December :)
I'd like to second that. It'll be the best Xmas present I've had in years :D
I totally agree with you. It will be best Christmas or New Year present for all Linux Mint users. I hope it will be based on Debian not Ubuntu.
manny

Post by manny »

I'm not very optimistic seeing a release by Christmas yet. Clem is very busy trying fixing that mess that is Gnome 3.2 (what a piece of cr@p). Also I have a concern about LMDE-KDE; would it be the best thing for my needs? Based on the experience I got on LMDE-Gnome edition where the expectations were to get updates very fast.

During the wait I decided to download and install Kubuntu 11.10 and I fell in love with it, I set some PPAs one of them to KDE, it works like a charm, I'm being update just moments after a new release is announced by KDE, went from the original 4.7.1 to 4.7.2 on the same day to 4.7.3 minutes after it was released a few days later. Fantastic! the same about other applications I do run.

I thought LMDE would be the solution for me, unfortunately, it has not been the case so far. LMDE-KDE might be great for many of you that likes going under the hook, but to keep the OS up to date on timely basis, I'm afraid, it will not happen.

On the other hand, Kubuntu 12.04 will be supported for 5 years, that is the next release in April 2012. 5 years support for an OS that you can keep easily updated without much effort seems to be very interesting, 5 years support and not having to, supposedly, to do a reinstall is long enough for me.

I'll give it a shot for sure as soon is released but ,I have the feeling that Kubuntu LTS supported for 5 years may be a winner to me.

Cheers to all of you!

PS. Don't bother trying LM 12 if you have not done so. Don't waste your time on it, believe me.
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

manny wrote:I'm not very optimistic seeing a release by Christmas yet. Clem is very busy trying fixing that mess that is Gnome 3.2 (what a piece of cr@p). Also I have a concern about LMDE-KDE; would it be the best thing for my needs? Based on the experience I got on LMDE-Gnome edition where the expectations were to get updates very fast.

During the wait I decided to download and install Kubuntu 11.10 and I fell in love with it, I set some PPAs one of them to KDE, it works like a charm, I'm being update just moments after a new release is announced by KDE, went from the original 4.7.1 to 4.7.2 on the same day to 4.7.3 minutes after it was released a few days later. Fantastic! the same about other applications I do run.

I thought LMDE would be the solution for me, unfortunately, it has not been the case so far. LMDE-KDE might be great for many of you that likes going under the hook, but to keep the OS up to date on timely basis, I'm afraid, it will not happen.

On the other hand, Kubuntu 12.04 will be supported for 5 years, that is the next release in April 2012. 5 years support for an OS that you can keep easily updated without much effort seems to be very interesting, 5 years support and not having to, supposedly, to do a reinstall is long enough for me.

I'll give it a shot for sure as soon is released but ,I have the feeling that Kubuntu LTS supported for 5 years may be a winner to me.

Cheers to all of you!

PS. Don't bother trying LM 12 if you have not done so. Don't waste your time on it, believe me.
I install Kubuntu 11.04 for about 6 month ago, then released Kubuntu 11.10 and I upgraded to 11.10 and have a lot of problems. Because of that Ubuntu "upgrade process" i think that is better to use Debian base for its native rolling release nature. Debian is the rock upon which Ubuntu is built. I think Debian is super fast, stable and eat less resources than Kubuntu base.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

davidvrbanec wrote: Debian is the rock upon which Ubuntu is built.
Yes. Different strokes for different folks, of course. But I have to make my living with my computer. I can't afford too buggy a system, and with only a dialup account, I can't be upgrading every couple of days. This was my experience with Kubuntu.
Mint17 KDE
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

I can't really understand why anybody would choose LMDE KDE 12 over Mepis 11/12, maybe somebody could sell it to me?
kage

Post by kage »

tomp01 wrote:I can't really understand why anybody would choose LMDE KDE 12 over Mepis 11/12, maybe somebody could sell it to me?
why? You made your pick.

kage
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

kage wrote:
tomp01 wrote:I can't really understand why anybody would choose LMDE KDE 12 over Mepis 11/12, maybe somebody could sell it to me?
why? You made your pick.

kage
I have it, but then again I also have LM 10 KDE, Ubuntu 11.10, Kubuntu 11.10 and Zorin OS 5. I just can't see how Mint KDE based on Debian Stable will any different to Mepis, so what is the USP?
Last edited by tomp01 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”