Trinity DE, a fork of KDE3.5!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldrocker99

Trinity DE, a fork of KDE3.5!

Post by oldrocker99 »

I've installed Trinity, which is to KDE 4.x what Mate is to GNOME 3.x, and is good old KDE 3.5 with bug fixes, polishing of rough edges, etc.

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/ is all you need to get started, and it does run KDE 4.x apps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hawkeye_52

Re: Trinity DE, a fork of KDE3.5!

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

oldrocker99,

1> What version of Linux Mint did you install this in?

2> How long have you been using it?

3> What problems have you experience so far?

I was a 'true lover' of KDE 3.XX, and only switched to Gnome because of the change to 4.XX, so I am very interested in a desktop manager that would give me back that satisfying experience. It makes it especially attractive since Gnome has drank the same 'kool-aid' as KDE in their change to the Gnome 3 desktop....

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Hawkeye
oldrocker99

Post by oldrocker99 »

I installed it in Mint 12; I've been using it for about 2 weeks, with few problems aside from my basic unfamiliarity with KDE. I certainly like it better than KDE4. However, I do use Mate most often.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

There is a Trinity distro based on Debian Squeeze called EXE Linux that looks interesting. I've burned the live CD, but haven't gotten around to installing/test-driving yet.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tbruff13

Post by tbruff13 »

This seems to be a very nice fork. I would reccommend it.
DrMartinus

Post by DrMartinus »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:I was a 'true lover' of KDE 3.XX, and only switched to Gnome because of the change to 4.XX, so I am very interested in a desktop manager that would give me back that satisfying experience. It makes it especially attractive since Gnome has drank the same 'kool-aid' as KDE in their change to the Gnome 3 desktop....
ROTFL :lol:
I feel exactly the same. But you have a very nice way to express it. They drank too much 'kool-aid'... really kool :lol: :lol:
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Followed the instructions but all I got was errors on the natty debs. http://trinitydesktop.org/installation.php#ubuntu
ron1

Post by ron1 »

Kevin108 wrote:Followed the instructions but all I got was errors on the natty debs. http://trinitydesktop.org/installation.php#ubuntu
Same here....except I was trying the Oneiric debs. I looked around a bit and it kind of looks like the repositories have nothing in them, which wouldn't make any sense. I'm sure that I'm wrong that, but I just cannot get past sudo apt-get update.
harvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harvi »

well I tried to install that but repos. wont work. The last think I could do is "sudo apt-get update" with "Error 404 File not found"
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Pretty well every one of those links is stone dead. Could be they have a server problem or it could be that you can never turn back the clock (at least not for long). There is probably nobody alive that mourns the passing of KDE3.5 more than me, especially when you look at its replacement, but KDE3 is dead and you have to let it go. The dead don't walk - unless you believe in ghosts, and trying to save your music collection to a ghost is a lost cause, even more unreliable than a cloud :lol:
harvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by harvi »

looks like its completly dead.... http://mirror.ets.kth.se/trinity/releases/
oldrocker99

Post by oldrocker99 »

:D I am pleased to report that the pearsoncomputing.net servers are back online :shock: and installable!

Here's the link:

http://trinitydesktop.org/installation.php

Happy installing! :mrgreen:
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Anybody running this?
itlarson

Post by itlarson »

I have to ask- why one would dredge up kde 3 at this point? kde 4 isn't functionally alot different from kde 3 (unlike, say, gnome 3 and gnome 2), and at this point most of the bugs have been worked out. There's no point in investing time in a project which isn't being developed anymore.
DrMartinus

Post by DrMartinus »

For me, there is one program that was and still is outstanding and doesn't work under KDE 4 any more: Quanta+. I now have installed it with the help of Trinity, and it works fine under KDE 4.7.4. So I'm happy, and that's a good reason for me to hav e Trinity.

Return to “Software & Applications”