Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

KBFX

Post by NiksaVel »

Hey guys,

I know there was talk about it way back... (did a search) :mrgreen: but I've discovered it only now - and I have to say I'm impressed - it looks generations ahead of tasty menu, even though I'm not completely happy with the default theme, I'm sure it could be an excellent addition to the mintKDE
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Re: KBFX

Post by dracorX »

Hey NiksaVel, thanks for your nice post. I'm a kbfx team member. If you don't like the default theme, there are lots of out there on kde-look.org And there s a nice theming howto...

Uups. Just saw that our server is down. I will look at it ;-)

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

No prob... just giving a fair review... it really does look a LOT better than all the other menus out there... been using it for awhile now and I also have some negative critics:

- it's a tad bit slow to show me the each folder contents... it seems to load it for like half a second to second... maybe it's just my old machine - Athlon XP 1600+ /w 512 RAM. It's no showstopper, but it's noticable and midly annoying.
- I've had a couple of "spontaneous" kbfx reloads.. the symptoms in any case are the same as when i manually reload it... the entire panel disappears for a sec than "slowly" reloads all the contents - WITH a MAJOR problem... for some reasons most, but not all, programs from the tray end up on the desktop in a separate window... these include Azureus and Pidgin, while Skype icon disappears completely. I have to shut down all of those progs and restart them to get them back in their place.... and since I don't have skype icon I have to forefully kill it with killall skype and than restart....
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dracorX »

for the first one... here it works fast... I will listen around.
For second one... kbfxconfigapp has a check box where you can configure that... something like scan for new apps or such. If oyu disable it, reloading will stop.

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

thanks for the tip... say, I've tried installing some of the themes found on kde-look.org but all of them were registered as old versions.... and don't display properly... any info about that?
-Clem

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dracorX »

well yes....
Try the silk ones.... They work... as for the others... I will try to refind the specs and send post them here. As you know, KBFX org is down, and I unfortunately can't contact the admin :-(

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dracorX »

btw: those with the scroll arrows only in the header are the old ones, those with one scroll button above the elements and one below are mostly current

Return to “KDE”