Mint 12 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
davidvrbanec
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by davidvrbanec »

BubbaBlues wrote:Don't you have to have a 11 before you can have a 12? You can call it 12 but if it comes after 10 it's 11.
:D, i think it will be called LM12 KDE because it is based upon Kubuntu 11.10 and LM12 main edition has number 12 and it is also build upon 11.10 release month/date.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

Maybe some advice for future.
This time I have Kubuntu 11.10 in vmware virtual machine.
Before installing package kubuntu-low-fat-settings I had more than 300MB RAM occupied after login.
After that package installing I manage to decrease to 200 MB.

This might be useful after releasing LM 12 KDE.
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm really disappointed at the news that Mint KDE 12 will be Ubuntu-based. I was really hoping to be able to update LMDE with updated KDE packages and I really don't want to go back to an Ubuntu-based distro. I guess I've tasted the freedom of Debian and I don't want to go back.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
davidvrbanec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidvrbanec »

BostonPeng wrote:I'm really disappointed at the news that Mint KDE 12 will be Ubuntu-based. I was really hoping to be able to update LMDE with updated KDE packages and I really don't want to go back to an Ubuntu-based distro. I guess I've tasted the freedom of Debian and I don't want to go back.
I totally agree with you man. I was hoping to have LMDE KDE release but this time we will have Kubuntu based KDE. Maybe some time in 2012 will be released LMDE KDE, after KDE release and LXDE release, there will be some couple of moths to release some LMDE respins, and after that LM Team will go developing tools for new Linux Mint 13.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

BostonPeng wrote:I'm really disappointed at the news that Mint KDE 12 will be Ubuntu-based. I was really hoping to be able to update LMDE with updated KDE packages and I really don't want to go back to an Ubuntu-based distro. I guess I've tasted the freedom of Debian and I don't want to go back.
I am glad that LM KDE will have Ubuntu base.
I was running on LMDE some weeks ago, but I was missing some things like wifi automatic support, automatic slovak localization which I had in ubuntu-based LM 11, etc..
So after week I returned on LM 11. Since this I was satisfied again. Everything was working without any extra effort.
Ubuntu base is better for common users.
exton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exton »

ferri,

What you are looking for in upcoming LM 12 KDE you already have in my remaster DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas KDE since it's based on LM 12 (which is based on Ubuntu 11.10).
LINUX.EXTON.NET :: Linux Live CDs/DVDs in Swedish and English
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

exton wrote:ferri,

What you are looking for in upcoming LM 12 KDE you already have in my remaster DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas KDE since it's based on LM 12 (which is based on Ubuntu 11.10).
I mentioned it. I will see. :)
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

All running fine, as far as I can tell. But, I don't like any of the KDE wallpapers and I love the one that comes as default with Gnome. Except I can't find it.

Does anyone know what it's called so I can use it as my KDE wallpaper?
Mint17 KDE
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

LindseyD. wrote:All running fine, as far as I can tell. But, I don't like any of the KDE wallpapers and I love the one that comes as default with Gnome. Except I can't find it.

Does anyone know what it's called so I can use it as my KDE wallpaper?
Are you talking about this one?

Mint MATE 20.1
exton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exton »

That one is here: /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-lisa/gelsan_green.png
LINUX.EXTON.NET :: Linux Live CDs/DVDs in Swedish and English
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

exton & tdockery97--yes. Thanks. I was looking for something in Mint-Z.
Mint17 KDE
adrianhorvath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adrianhorvath »

Anyone can you help me? I installing today Linux Mint 12 to my computer, and i want use Linux Mint 12 with KDE? i only want use KDE and i don't need GNOME.
How is this possible?

---
Adrian
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

I'm afraid there's no way to get KDE on Mint 12 without GNOME until Mint 12 KDE comes out. Clem's hoping to get it out by the end of the year but I think he set an unreasonable expectation for himself, especially since there's not an ISO to test yet. AFAIK the only way to get updated KDE is to get LMDE and add the KDE SC 4.7.2 on top of it. You can get more info at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=86767 but please keep in mind that using that thread to get the updates means you'll need to upgrade to a lot of testing software to be able to use it. I've run into some glitches since I took the step but I've used testing builds of software for years and know what I'm in for. As I always say on my blog when I give info about using testing software like this, running testing software carries the risk of completely hosing your system so if you're not able to make sure you pay attention to every update that comes down the pipe and make sure it won't cause problems please wait for the updates to be released.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

I am really going to try and not be cynical in this post but I have some worries that KDE has been dropped (in part) for the development of Cinnamon. Looking here https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon it appears that Clem is working flat out on this project. Where this leaves Mint12 KDE is anyones guess.

Clem did say that the KDE release would be his priority after Mint 12 (main) so I have to assume that this is still the case. Though if we fail to see a Christmas release of KDE I will wonder if work on Cinnamon is the case of yet another delay.

I truly felt awful for some of my comments about the development of the KDE release after it was dropped for the changes to LMDE, then Main and all other seemingly more important developments. I even cancelled my sponsorship. Then Clem appeared resolute about KDE and I questioned my opinion. I had come to believe that Clem was not a man of his word and has little professional integrity.

All that said if KDE is pushed back yet further I will have to consider my previous opinion correct.

After the initial excitement about Mint 12 KDE I'm once again left feeling like I'm being strung along.

I'll also try and pre-empt all of the "go to another distro then" comments by saying that I love Mint and the Community.

:(
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

BostonPeng wrote:I'm afraid there's no way to get KDE on Mint 12 without GNOME until Mint 12 KDE comes out.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. It is entirely possible if you want to take the time to do it yourself. You can remove Gnome 3 and MATE entirely and you are left with this:

Mint MATE 20.1
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

tdockery97 wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:I'm afraid there's no way to get KDE on Mint 12 without GNOME until Mint 12 KDE comes out.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. It is entirely possible if you want to take the time to do it yourself. You can remove Gnome 3 and MATE entirely and you are left with this:

That's KDE? It doesn't look like it to me, but then I'm happy with KDE bolted on top of LMDE so I guess I may be the wrong one to ask about Mint 12 KDE. :mrgreen:
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

Looks like KDE with a different desktop and terminal window open.

Chris
adrianhorvath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adrianhorvath »

Thanks information! When do you come Linux Mint 12 KDE?
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage »

Fandangio wrote:I am really going to try and not be cynical in this post but I have some worries that KDE has been dropped (in part) for the development of Cinnamon. Looking here https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon it appears that Clem is working flat out on this project. Where this leaves Mint12 KDE is anyones guess.

Clem did say that the KDE release would be his priority after Mint 12 (main) so I have to assume that this is still the case. Though if we fail to see a Christmas release of KDE I will wonder if work on Cinnamon is the case of yet another delay.

I truly felt awful for some of my comments about the development of the KDE release after it was dropped for the changes to LMDE, then Main and all other seemingly more important developments. I even cancelled my sponsorship. Then Clem appeared resolute about KDE and I questioned my opinion. I had come to believe that Clem was not a man of his word and has little professional integrity.

All that said if KDE is pushed back yet further I will have to consider my previous opinion correct.

After the initial excitement about Mint 12 KDE I'm once again left feeling like I'm being strung along.

I'll also try and pre-empt all of the "go to another distro then" comments by saying that I love Mint and the Community.

:(
I recognise the frustration.
I also expressed my concerns about Mint KDE.
The most frustrating is the lack of information in this particular section. We have te crawl the whole forum to get some bits and pieces.

So you are really not alone in this

kage
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

Fandangio wrote:...it appears that Clem is working flat out on this project. Where this leaves Mint12 KDE is anyones guess.
Agreed, but do note that Clem also said that the LM team now has three full-time members on it.
Fandangio wrote:Though if we fail to see a Christmas release of KDE I will wonder if work on Cinnamon is the case of yet another delay.
Well, Clem did say that they were hoping to have to out by Christmas, but was noncommittal about it. Though I do see your point.

Joe

Return to “KDE”