Mint 12 KDE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by Fandangio »

Maybe Joe, but if the lead developer is not working on this then I fail to see how they can be treating it as a priority. Though this may just be a matter of perspective.

@Kage, I agree there are lots of us in this boat. On the openSuse post in another thread, I have run it from USB but not installed as yet. I'm going to buy a SSD in the next few weeks so will wait for that. If Mint 12 KDE is available I will try them bothand just go with what works best :)
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

I have Lisa (with default Gnome 3.2) and installed KDE latest version per APT repository (4.7.3)
What possibly am I missing for not waiting for LM 12 KDE rollout?

Cheers
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

FWIW, I deleted LM12 with KDE Full on it and installed openSUSE yesterday. :) So far, no regrets.

I had successfully installed KDE Full over the LM12 installation. However, I got irritated by the Gnome apps being the default and cluttering up the menu. So I decided to try uninstalling some of them. Oops... I got a little happy and uninstalled something the underlying Gnome OS really thought it wanted. :roll:

openSUSE has had their latest release out since November with a full-up KDE desktop. It took a bit of getting used to for using YAST, but afterwards, everything else is really the third-party KDE apps that are the same from one linux KDE distribution to the other.

Maybe that's what Clem and the other LM programers want? To move us to openSUSE KDE so they can have a Gnome only distribution?

Chris
manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

Daboo wrote:FWIW, I deleted LM12 with KDE Full on it and installed openSUSE yesterday. :) So far, no regrets.

I had successfully installed KDE Full over the LM12 installation. However, I got irritated by the Gnome apps being the default and cluttering up the menu. So I decided to try uninstalling some of them. Oops... I got a little happy and uninstalled something the underlying Gnome OS really thought it wanted. :roll:

openSUSE has had their latest release out since November with a full-up KDE desktop. It took a bit of getting used to for using YAST, but afterwards, everything else is really the third-party KDE apps that are the same from one linux KDE distribution to the other.

Maybe that's what Clem and the other LM programers want? To move us to openSUSE KDE so they can have a Gnome only distribution?

Chris
Does not matter any longer to me if LM-KDE CR is released before Christmas or not, I moved to Kubuntu 11.10 last October and I feel very happy with it. I've been a good fan of LM and I appreciate very much the help i received from the forum during my first steps using Linux. I respect Clem and admire his achievement, he is committed to the Gnome 's only and I'm not condemning his decision. I decided that KDE is the environment I want to use and I'm happy with my decision too. I'm wishing LM well in the future and to all of you a Merry Xmas.

manny
enigma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma »

Add my experiences.

I loaded LM 12 onto a spare hard drive and added KDE-full. The install went well, no problems until I started noticing some things were not the way that I was used to.

1. The ~/.gvfs directory is a GNOME mounted filesystem and it cannot be deleted. I unmount, remove and it comes back. I do use GNOME. It screwed up my rsync hourly incremental backups. rsync stopped deleting old files when it came to this directory. I finally used --exclude=/home/???/.gvfs to bypass but it is a poor subsitute for the problem. If any doubts exist in your mind about this try removing ~/.gvfs.

2. I have a lot of memory and a few cores and the pae kernel serves me well but LM12 did not allow me to use one. I downloaded and installed but the default kernel would not stay on the pae.

3. a few others minor problems but not worth mentioning could be my setup.

It appears to me that Canonical is modifiying both GNOME and KDE to their requirements (as it has every right to) and as such I don't think I want to use Kubuntu KDE anymore.

I installed wheezy on the hard drive and all the problems with LM12 with KDE-full are gone. ~/.gvfs is a normal directory. A pae kernel loaded as default. This version was real easy to install.

The drift I am picking up from the forum, blogs and messages is that the idea of incorporating Debian KDE into LM has been put on the back burner, way back. The recent reports of LM developing a fork of GNOME strongly suggests that us KDE users may have more disappointments in the future with LM.

But there is always hope.

My two cents worth.
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

I want to highlight my question again...

So long as I can do clean and full KDE install (and future updates) on my LM base, what's so damning about it? What makes people so desperate about an official LM KDE version like Kubuntu etc. ?
I think I have a good functional and pleasant desktop in KDE 4.7.3 for my daily activities, so as a KDE noob I want to know what am I likely missing by not having an "official" label of LM KDE on my notebook? I have KDE on LM 12.

Sorry for screaming out but I am missing the whole point of half of these threads on KDE forum here. Why so anxious for LM KDE?
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

pbanerjee wrote:I want to highlight my question again...

I think I have a good functional and pleasant desktop in KDE 4.7.3 for my daily activities, so as a KDE noob I want to know what am I likely missing by not having an "official" label of LM KDE on my notebook? I have KDE on LM 12.
If you are happy with your self-installed KDE desktop on top of LM 12, then I would say that you are missing nothing. I myself have done the same thing, and there is nothing missing from my system that I need.
Mint Cinnamon 20
manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

pbanerjee wrote:I have Lisa (with default Gnome 3.2) and installed KDE latest version per APT repository (4.7.3)
What possibly am I missing for not waiting for LM 12 KDE rollout?

Cheers
Also you wrote on the same forum:

"Re: Fonts in Mint KDE 10

Postby pbanerjee on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:18 am
Even I had this problem when I installed KDE on Lisa. Had to spend an hour looking to correct default font rendering.
KDE is such a wonderful desktop environment, but for these obvious tweaks become daunting for noobs like me.. Gnome has more user base because of these reasons, not purely on merits. Both Gnome and KDE have own merits though. I can recall in Gnome, my anti-aliasing was "slight" by default.
I hope KDE implementations/default packaging become more out-of-the-box friendly.
I came to taste KDE (and loving it) because I felt my hands tied behind (and mouth tapped) in Gnome 3.x which they may improve in future but why my work and fun should wait for "them" ?

Cheers."

Since you posted your comment clearly in reference to my previous one, let me clarify to you a few things about LM-KDE. LM-KDE was the best KDE OS available in Linux and had a good supportive users base.

The problem with LM-KDE has been its abandonment, the project has been put aside for too long now, that created the feeling on most of us that we are not welcome any longer in here and as result, people have been abandoning the community steadily, even Bo, who was in charge, has left the project definitively. We have been hearing empty promises that never arrived. So, most of the community decided "not to wait for them" any longer because the general feeling is, there is not seriousness in this project.

Is nothing wrong installing KDE on Lisa 12 or other Gnome based OS. Most of us does that too and I wish your experience is a positive one, but the attitude matters a lot and that is what is lucking in LM towards KDE. This was a good community but for most of us, unfortunatly "the wait is over". Hope you understand now. I hope also LM reconsider its attitude and delivers a shiny KDE the way it deserves with the "fonts tweaked" so newbies like you don't need to spend time correcting it, but I doubt that would ever happen soon and if it does, I will doubt it was done with much love either.

Take care and Have a Happy Holidays
manny
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage »

manny wrote: The problem with LM-KDE has been its abandonment, the project has been put aside for too long now, that created the feeling on most of us that we are not welcome any longer in here and as result, people have been abandoning the community steadily, even Bo, who was in charge, has left the project definitively. We have been hearing empty promises that never arrived. So, most of the community decided "not to wait for them" any longer because the general feeling is, there is not seriousness in this project.

Is nothing wrong installing KDE on Lisa 12 or other Gnome based OS. Most of us does that too and I wish your experience is a positive one, but the attitude matters a lot and that is what is lucking in LM towards KDE. This was a good community but for most of us, unfortunatly "the wait is over". Hope you understand now. I hope also LM reconsider its attitude and delivers a shiny KDE the way it deserves with the "fonts tweaked" so newbies like you don't need to spend time correcting it, but I doubt that would ever happen soon and if it does, I will doubt it was done with much love either.

manny
Thank you Manny

You wrote what I wanted to write but you did that so much better.
I fully agree with you.

In spite of the above I would also like to wish the devs and community a happy holiday

kage
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

manny wrote:...I hope also LM reconsider its attitude and delivers a shiny KDE the way it deserves with the "fonts tweaked" so newbies like you don't need to spend time correcting it, but I doubt that would ever happen soon and if it does, I will doubt it was done with much love either.

manny
Good words. I recently installed openSUSE. Your comment about fonts caught my eye...along with the way you said everything else. In LM, my fonts needed tweaking. In openSUSE, I haven't thought to look for a way to tweak the fonts. They look great without needing any tweaking. Someday I'll stumble upon that, but it isn't an issue.

I too would like to wish all of you and your loved ones, a very merry Christmas.

Chris
nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

I notice i am not the only one having the same thoughts, so i can't add anything more to what has been told already....just a feeling of sadness about what LM KDE has been and what could have been in the future. Anyway i still keep katya on my laptop and hope in my heart.
Would like to express to the WHOLE community my best wishes for a very merry Christmas.
:D
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

I am long time Kde fan. But this time I do not know what I think about LM 12 Kde. Is there any development or not?
We would like to have some information.

Despite of it I would like to wish a peacefully celebration of birth of little Jesus.
This is for me the first Cristmas which I have with my wife and daughters in our new family house.
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

I am not primarily a KDE user, but I feel the need to post this. I think that with all of the projects that Clem is doing, he is doing more than he can. I think that he should either set a realistic deadline for things (there isn't a testing iso submitted and it's Christmas Eve. He wanted to have it released by Christmas) or not do them at all. I think that a KDE version would be nice, especially considering gnome shell and the fact that it has alienated so many users. However, I'd rather have one or two (or maybe three) really usable releases than a lot of poor releases or empty promises (I know he hoped to get it out by Christmas and didn't promise, but they have been saying that they will work on KDE and have a new release soon for a very long time. However, if anyone can pull off this many (or even a slightly lower amount) releases, it's Clem. I certainly think that he will have a release by mid January (hopefully :( ).
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

I started with Suse (not OpenSuse) way back when and liked it a lot. Haven't tried it lately but am downloading it now to try on my test machine.

Once Linux Mint 12 comes out I can then do a comparison between the two..
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

cwwgateway wrote:... I think that with all of the projects that Clem is doing, he is doing more than he can. I think that he should either set a realistic deadline for things (there isn't a testing iso submitted and it's Christmas Eve. He wanted to have it released by Christmas) or not do them at all. I think that a KDE version would be nice, especially considering gnome shell and the fact that it has alienated so many users....
I agree with you.
This time I running classic Linux Mint 11. But as I mentioned I am a KDE fan. So I am looking for a KDE good and easy distro.
I considered Kubundu as enough good for my purpose and I started it testing.
After releasing information about Linux Mint 12 KDE I stopped. Today I plan to resume Kubuntu testing.
At the end of January I want to be on KDE. From today's view it seems to me that it will be Kubuntu.
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

I agree with everyone disappointed that a new Mint KDE is taking so long, and Clem has definitely allowed his plate to be filled too much. I for one, though, aren't looking to switch beyond KDE bolted on top of LMDE. I've gotten so used to ignoring Ubuntu packages that I really don't want to go back to it, even with Mint 12 KDE being an Ubuntu-based release. Plus I feel like I'm finally getting to a point where I am getting more plugged into the Mint community and really don't want to have to start over with another distro. I completely understand why Clem rolled back his decision to base Mint 12 KDE on LMDE, and regardless of what it's built on I wish I could do to help get it ready to ship, but I only have 'net access during the day so I have to carefully manage my online time.

I hope everyone can have a very happy holiday, no matter of what holiday you celebrate this month. If you don't celebrate a holiday I hope your end of year ends happier than the preceding 11 months have been, especially for everyone who's been battling TPTB for a better life, whether the battle has been part of Arab Spring or, as relatively minor it can seem by comparison, any of the Occupy protests here in the States. And may everyone find 2012 happier, more peaceful, and filled with even more opportunities to show the closed source world why we love Linux so much, as well as how easy it can be to make the switch.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

ferri wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:... I think that with all of the projects that Clem is doing, he is doing more than he can. I think that he should either set a realistic deadline for things (there isn't a testing iso submitted and it's Christmas Eve. He wanted to have it released by Christmas) or not do them at all. I think that a KDE version would be nice, especially considering gnome shell and the fact that it has alienated so many users....
I agree with you.
This time I running classic Linux Mint 11. But as I mentioned I am a KDE fan. So I am looking for a KDE good and easy distro.
I considered Kubundu as enough good for my purpose and I started it testing.
After releasing information about Linux Mint 12 KDE I stopped. Today I plan to resume Kubuntu testing.
At the end of January I want to be on KDE. From today's view it seems to me that it will be Kubuntu.
As for an easy "works out of the box" KDE distro, there is only one option for me. PCLinuxOS. Video drivers pre-installed,
codecs pre-installed, it's a rolling release and KDE is the flagship. Oh,and the forum community is great. I've tried many many distros and nothing else even comes close, not even Mint (anymore).

Merry Christmas to everyone.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

BubbaBlues wrote: As for an easy "works out of the box" KDE distro, there is only one option for me. PCLinuxOS.
PCLinuxOS has problems with my usb mobile modem Huawei 1750. :( Currently this is my only way of connection to internet.
But ubuntu and its clones are non problematic in this case.
linuxmintt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxmintt »

ferri wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote: As for an easy "works out of the box" KDE distro, there is only one option for me. PCLinuxOS.
PCLinuxOS has problems with my usb mobile modem Huawei 1750. :( Currently this is my only way of connection to internet.
But ubuntu and its clones are non problematic in this case.
Maybe this will help?: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=96904.0
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

linuxmintt wrote: Maybe this will help?: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=96904.0
This I know very well. But problem of pclinuxos in my case is that it is fork of mandriva and still it is using former mandriva tool for control network connections.
This tool has problem with my mobile problem. The same is Mangeia.
Mandriva do not have this problem with my modem because mandriva is currently using combination of this tool and knetworkmanager.
But as longtime mandriva user I must say that mandriva is dying distro. Mandriva 2011 is slow and full of bugs and it was end for me and mandriva.

And as I mentioned. I want an easy distro. So kubuntu is my favourite this time.

Return to “KDE”