Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by Fandangio »

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/100

Not that I wish to rain on anyones parade but Katya KDE got to 100% tested and was still binned.
There may be some way to go just yet :(
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
kage
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kage »

Fandangio wrote:http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/100

Not that I wish to rain on anyones parade but Katya KDE got to 100% tested and was still binned.
What I was wondering: Will there be a kubuntu based version every half year or will it be an LMDE based KDE or both or is this the farewell version?

kage
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

kage wrote:
Fandangio wrote:http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/100

What I was wondering: Will there be a kubuntu based version every half year or will it be an LMDE based KDE or both or is this the farewell version?

kage
I don't think that anyone really knows. Clem hasn't announced plans to switch, but he might decide to. I guess it partially depends on Kubuntu 12.04 and any problems, as well as whether clem has the time to transfer it over to LMDE. I highly doubt that there will be both, though, as Clem has had this much trouble getting out a kubuntu based version. I don't think that there is the time to maintain two KDE versions.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Daboo wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:Mint 12 KDE is 80% tested. yippee. 8)
Just curious...what is your source?

Chris
community.linuxmint.com

Now we can get ready for the whines about missing features. instabilities and font rendering. The stuff never ends.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

Fandangio wrote:Not that I wish to rain on anyones parade but Katya KDE got to 100% tested and was still binned.
I think that kubuntu 11.10 is much more better base for LM 12 KDE than ubuntu base with unity and gnome 3 for LM 12 MGSE.
inhiway
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inhiway »

Lisa KDE Edition amd64 82.69% tested

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
1 old desktop PC and 1old laptop, Kubuntu 15.10, Linux Mint 17.2 KDE x64 , Windows 10
Linuxux User #454271
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

monkeyboy wrote: Now we can get ready for the whines about missing features. instabilities and font rendering. The stuff never ends.
It's in peoples nature.
For instance people even whine about other people whining :roll:
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

linuxmintt wrote:
ferri wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote: As for an easy "works out of the box" KDE distro, there is only one option for me. PCLinuxOS.
PCLinuxOS has problems with my usb mobile modem Huawei 1750. :( Currently this is my only way of connection to internet.
But ubuntu and its clones are non problematic in this case.
Maybe this will help?: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=96904.0

I have a dual boot notebook with Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS.
I went to PCLinuxOS AFTER sensing KDE contempt from Mint.
However, my USB modem with Huawei for 3.1 Mbps internet works out of the box for me. Not only that, network manager (or its KDE equivalent) happily recognizes the connection and displays me "connected" in status bar with it's "old kernel". Thsi is something the flashy LM12 or even Ubuntu Lynx/later could never do. I had to abandon Evolution because of this as it would not "see" me connected to network despite a working conenction, no matter what. Today I believe PCOSLinux is second only to OpenSuse as KDE supporting major distro.

Cheers
Partho
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

manny wrote:
pbanerjee wrote:I have Lisa (with default Gnome 3.2) and installed KDE latest version per APT repository (4.7.3)
What possibly am I missing for not waiting for LM 12 KDE rollout?

Cheers
Also you wrote on the same forum:

"Re: Fonts in Mint KDE 10

Postby pbanerjee on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:18 am
Even I had this problem when I installed KDE on Lisa. Had to spend an hour looking to correct default font rendering.
KDE is such a wonderful desktop environment, but for these obvious tweaks become daunting for noobs like me.. Gnome has more user base because of these reasons, not purely on merits. Both Gnome and KDE have own merits though. I can recall in Gnome, my anti-aliasing was "slight" by default.
I hope KDE implementations/default packaging become more out-of-the-box friendly.
I came to taste KDE (and loving it) because I felt my hands tied behind (and mouth tapped) in Gnome 3.x which they may improve in future but why my work and fun should wait for "them" ?

Cheers."

Since you posted your comment clearly in reference to my previous one, let me clarify to you a few things about LM-KDE. LM-KDE was the best KDE OS available in Linux and had a good supportive users base.

The problem with LM-KDE has been its abandonment, the project has been put aside for too long now, that created the feeling on most of us that we are not welcome any longer in here and as result, people have been abandoning the community steadily, even Bo, who was in charge, has left the project definitively. We have been hearing empty promises that never arrived. So, most of the community decided "not to wait for them" any longer because the general feeling is, there is not seriousness in this project.

Is nothing wrong installing KDE on Lisa 12 or other Gnome based OS. Most of us does that too and I wish your experience is a positive one, but the attitude matters a lot and that is what is lucking in LM towards KDE. This was a good community but for most of us, unfortunatly "the wait is over". Hope you understand now. I hope also LM reconsider its attitude and delivers a shiny KDE the way it deserves with the "fonts tweaked" so newbies like you don't need to spend time correcting it, but I doubt that would ever happen soon and if it does, I will doubt it was done with much love either.

Take care and Have a Happy Holidays
manny

Thanks Manny and all!
Yes..I have realized that just having a functional desktop is an immediate requirement. But a distro selection has to go beyond. This is where attitude, support and treatment matters. If the desktop environment which I use is not their priority, then it's a not great feeling to have. I have installed full fledged KDE desktop with PCLinuxOS and I am not regretting my decision :-)

However, I have a dual boot between LM and PCLOS. I use my home directory on a separate partition so both can see and save files there.
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

I can not believe .. just after the release of Lisa Main, the blog was full of discussions, but also complaints, angry comments, sometimes on the edge of civil confrontation.
Now, if 4 poor cats express their concerns about the release of KDE Lisa, are immediately branded as whiners!
:shock:

Ok we will also be whiners, but maybe we have good reasons.
But here I stop, i know, in this community there is room for everyone, even the complainers ...
:lol:

I wish you all a happy 2012!
:D
Last edited by nico on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostnforest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lostnforest »

Merry Christmas and Happy 2012
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

You better hurry Clem, the villagers are getting restless! Soon they will be storming the palace with axes and pitch forks. 8)
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

BubbaBlues wrote:You better hurry Clem, the villagers are getting restless! Soon they will be storming the palace with axes and pitch forks. 8)
Getting? Where have you been looking since Mint 12 came out? :lol:

Jokes aside, now that Mint 12 KDE built on Kubuntu is getting close to being ready for prime time I have a problem. I love using LMDE+KDE SC 4.7.2 on my laptop so when Mint 12 KDE comes out should I find a way to back up all of my data (which will be a good trick since I don't have access to enough backup space), blow away LMDE and go back to the Ubuntu-based Mint KDE or do I ignore what's happening in the Mint 12 KDE threads and stick with what I have now, which is liable to be somewhat different from what other Mint KDE users have available. Nothing like a quandary, or even a moral dilemma, to start the new year, eh?
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@BostonPeng
now that Mint 12 KDE built on Kubuntu
Is that for sure or did I miss something?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That's for sure: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso. Otherwise it would say LMDE instead of Lisa.
Mint MATE 20.1
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

k357k9 wrote:@BostonPeng
now that Mint 12 KDE built on Kubuntu
Is that for sure or did I miss something?
Comment 15 on the December Monthly Stats blog post shows clem saying
@Craig: The KDE version we’re working on at the moment is Ubuntu-based. No decision was taken yet on whether this desktop edition was to be supported by or ported to LMDE. For now, our priority is to get the KDE edition out and our target is to do it before Christmas… if it’s ready before then, I can’t tell for sure yet
tdockery97 wrote:That's for sure: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso. Otherwise it would say LMDE instead of Lisa.
Thanks, tdockery. I didn't even think about how the ISO would be labeled, but the question got me hunting down exactly where clem said it, which I needed to do for myself.
Last edited by BostonPeng on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

I hope Lisa KDE will be good to everyone who have display problem in Gnome shell.
Happy new year everyone :wink:
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@tdockery97 & @BostonPeng
Thanks!
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng »

mank_in wrote:I hope Lisa KDE will be good to everyone who have display problem in Gnome shell.
Happy new year everyone :wink:
Should Gnome Shell issues affect KDE users? I only ask because they're different desktop environments and I wouldn't think a distro with one DE shouldn't be affected by bugs in the other DE, especially when it's not a case of DE #2 being installed on top of DE #1. I may be wrong and would welcome anyone setting me straight if I am.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

mank_in wrote:I hope Lisa KDE will be good to everyone who have display problem in Gnome shell.
And who have not? Gnone shell is problem itself. :D

Return to “KDE”