Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by MALsPa »

ferri wrote:
mank_in wrote:I hope Lisa KDE will be good to everyone who have display problem in Gnome shell.
And who have not? Gnone shell is problem itself. :D
??? Haven't seen any display problems at all with GNOME Shell in Fedora 16.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

MALsPa wrote:??? Haven't seen any display problems at all with GNOME Shell in Fedora 16.

You can try Gnome shell with Geforce FX5500 or FX5200 ( i see that problem in fedora forum too )
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

mank_in wrote:
MALsPa wrote:??? Haven't seen any display problems at all with GNOME Shell in Fedora 16.

You can try Gnome shell with Geforce FX5500 or FX5200 ( i see that problem in fedora forum too )
Oh, I see. Nope, not an issue here, don't use either of those.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

@ cwwgateway:
You wrote Clem has problems with the KDE release. Well, I will get a whole lot of comment about this, but I feel it is his own fault.
He just had to embrace Gnome 3 even though he knew from the beginning it was not good. He then spent a whole of time inventing MGSE and MATE. Now that doesn't turn out so good as he hoped, he comes with a new version called Cinnamon. At the same time he told us he will have the KDE version ready for testing. Maybe he can split himself in many pieces, each working on another release but I doubt that. Let's face it: too much time and effort have been wasted on Lisa only because Clem had to release a Gnome release. When he just stopped before he began we would now have a perfect KDE release, a perfect XFCE release and a perfect LXDE release, maybe even an LMDE KDE version as well. Wouldn't that have been much better than the 3 versions of Gnome he is producing now for the sole purpose of bringing out a Gnome version.
From my start with Linux I have used Gnome with occasionally a side step to KDE. Now with the hell which is called Gnome 3 I completely stepped to KDE and I am loving it. I use Kubuntu 11.10 now and my computers have never looked so good as they do now. The plasma desktop is amazing, the number of user settings is overwhelming. You can do with KDE what you want to do with it, not like with Gnome where Gnome, just as Microsoft does, tells you how to use your computer.
But I have written that before. I better stop now and wait if we will have a Mint KDE version. Yes, I use the word if, not when. I sincerely doubt it, but I have Kubuntu 11.10 on both computers so I can wait. I just wish Clem would write something about what he is doing and how long we will have to wait. Waiting is not the worst part, the uncertainty is. I wrote before he should take his time to come up with a really great KDE version, better take some extra months than one day to little. Don't produce a second Lisa failure.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

DeMus wrote:@ cwwgateway:
You wrote Clem has problems with the KDE release. Well, I will get a whole lot of comment about this, but I feel it is his own fault.
He just had to embrace Gnome 3 even though he knew from the beginning it was not good.
You can have my comment DeMus...

I think you're absolutely spot on. I'm still wondering what will happen when Gnome either fixes it's DE (making Cinnamon worth Jack all) or breaks it completely rendering any Cinnamon fixes worthless. I stepped away from KDE when it went to 4.0 but now it is awesome.

You can't build a castle on poor foundations (or a swamp as Monty Python correctly point out)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEgqhzwz0o
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

DeMus wrote:... Let's face it: too much time and effort have been wasted on Lisa only because Clem had to release a Gnome release. When he just stopped before he began we would now have a perfect KDE release, a perfect XFCE release and a perfect LXDE release, maybe even an LMDE KDE version as well. Wouldn't that have been much better than the 3 versions of Gnome he is producing now for the sole purpose of bringing out a Gnome version...
Good words and a great observation!

I've wondered about the fascination with Gnome. Is it just because it is different than Windows? Gnome 2 has the task bar and menu on the top of the window...Windows puts it at the bottom. Gnome 3 went one step further and put the log out menu in the upper right corner...Windows has it in the lower left corner. Is the purpose of Gnome simply to be as anti-Microsoft as possible?

I settled on KDE for one reason. It was the closest thing to what I use at work, which is Windows. I need an operating system to do just that...allow me to operate the applications that are the real tools of the computer. To spend time clicking in the wrong place to turn off the computer, or in trying to find the menu...either at work on Windows, or home on linux...is a waste.

BTW, openSUSE 12.1 KDE is boring. It works. There's no drama. No crashes. No loss of data. After a couple days to tweak things to get Skype working and a Windows based Bible program I like (The Word, if you're interested), I just use it. Fonts look great, and I don't even know where to adjust them. It took a bit of time to get used to one program, YaST, to configure everything on the operating system instead of the multiple programs I was used to in LM, but they work. The install/uninstall feature in YaST seems great. It tells you what dependencies there are prior to committing the changes and takes care of those for you, should you chose to continue.

My heart is/was with LM, probably because it is what I started with. But I'll have to think long and hard, should a KDE version of LM come out since this is working so well.

Chris
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

whine whine whine :roll:
And lisa gnome is hardly a failure...also gnome rules and Cinnamon is already cool and will rock by mint 13 time....kde...i've used it...other then then the pretty eye candy, gnome will always be better...KDE does have a few outstanding programs like k3b and kdenlive...but i will take pidgin over kopete..evolution mail over kmail...rhythmbox over amarok...totem and mplayer over dragon player....etc etc...anyday...

Your kde is up in testing...yet still you complain even now...what a bunch of fuss budgets...kde is ram heavy and quirky too (examples that annoying kwallet nonsense..and could never get my microphone to work in it...works great on gnome though....) and that muon package manager....another failure...the software center that the older version of kde had was much much better (kpackagekit i believe)...

I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore..will leave it to you kde fanboy complainers :lol:
Oh and from what i've read about kde 5.0 which is supposed to be a radical departure from the current kde desktop environment, you guys will have plenty to "whine about" with your kde desktop environment....it's supposed to be modular and support mobile devices...hmmm...where have i heard that before...oh yes...ubuntu's unity and Microsoft's Windows 8....
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

craig10x wrote:...gnome rules and Cinnamon is already cool...
Well, now we know where you really stand. :lol:
craig10x wrote:...I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore...
Thank you. Your intentions were always pretty transparent. Do I smell a troll???

Chris
nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

...it can happen, smoking cinnamon

:mrgreen:
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Chris...i had to vent because mostly what i read here is how kde is soooo wonderful and gnome 3, MGSE, Cinnamon is crap...i wanted to turn the tables and point out "flaws" i find in your favorite desktop...so you guys gets a taste of what you dish out here most of the time...gets extremely annoying...and this will be my last comment for this thread...

if you don't like gnome and think kde is the cat's meow...fine...but that doesn't mean you have to keep putting down gnome all the time...if you don't like it don't use it and if you don't like the way Clem does things with KDE for mint (which is primarily a gnome distro to begin with) then don't use MINT...there's plenty of kde distros out there including kubuntu (and mint kde is just a slightly minty version of the same distro)...
manny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by manny »

craig10x wrote:whine whine whine :roll:
And lisa gnome is hardly a failure...also gnome rules and Cinnamon is already cool and will rock by mint 13 time....kde...i've used it...other then then the pretty eye candy, gnome will always be better...KDE does have a few outstanding programs like k3b and kdenlive...but i will take pidgin over kopete..evolution mail over kmail...rhythmbox over amarok...totem and mplayer over dragon player....etc etc...anyday...

Your kde is up in testing...yet still you complain even now...what a bunch of fuss budgets...kde is ram heavy and quirky too (examples that annoying kwallet nonsense..and could never get my microphone to work in it...works great on gnome though....) and that muon package manager....another failure...the software center that the older version of kde had was much much better (kpackagekit i believe)...

I'm not going to comment on this thread anymore..will leave it to you kde fanboy complainers :lol:
Oh and from what i've read about kde 5.0 which is supposed to be a radical departure from the current kde desktop environment, you guys will have plenty to "whine about" with your kde desktop environment....it's supposed to be modular and support mobile devices...hmmm...where have i heard that before...oh yes...ubuntu's unity and Microsoft's Windows 8....
Poor Craig, Gnome3 with all its extensions, Shells, MATES, Cinnamons, bars on top, bars on bottom and bla, bla, bla, caused him to loose his marbles. Creg take my advice, sell you PC and go on vacation, you need one very fast. Oh, by the way, I have been using Kubuntu 11.10 since release and the only thing annoying I found about it is, YOU! :lol:

Happy New Year!
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

craig10x wrote: gnome will always be better....
Complete, unqualified rubbish. Who really is the fanboy?
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
hayden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hayden »

Hi I am actually going to be installing mint 12 next week.
I was just wondering where and how do i get the kdm desktop? thank you
exton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exton »

A simple way is to install my Mint 12 remaster DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas.

After installation to hard disk you can run sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade and you will get the latest KDE version (4.7.4).

Furthermore you will get a newer kernel.
LINUX.EXTON.NET :: Linux Live CDs/DVDs in Swedish and English
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Yeah! De Linux Mint 12 KDE-ISO is in testing :D
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
exton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exton »

Where? (It is not on any of the mirrors I have tried).
LINUX.EXTON.NET :: Linux Live CDs/DVDs in Swedish and English
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

craig10x wrote:whine whine whine :roll:

It seems to me that craig10x is person who knows erything an he was everywhere. :) And we must worship him for his "big" experinces. :lol:
But I see that Kde version testing is stopped in progress at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/100.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I don't agree with that "gnome rules" and "gnome will always be better" stuff. Yes, KDE is "ram heavy," but of course if you have enough RAM that's a non-issue.

But craig10x summed up why he was really venting with this post:
craig10x wrote:Chris...i had to vent because mostly what i read here is how kde is soooo wonderful and gnome 3, MGSE, Cinnamon is crap...i wanted to turn the tables and point out "flaws" i find in your favorite desktop...so you guys gets a taste of what you dish out here most of the time...gets extremely annoying...and this will be my last comment for this thread...

if you don't like gnome and think kde is the cat's meow...fine...but that doesn't mean you have to keep putting down gnome all the time...if you don't like it don't use it and if you don't like the way Clem does things with KDE for mint (which is primarily a gnome distro to begin with) then don't use MINT...there's plenty of kde distros out there including kubuntu (and mint kde is just a slightly minty version of the same distro)...
And I think that was the point, that it's just as meaningless to say that GNOME 3, etc., are crap as it is to say the same thing about KDE.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Thank you, Malspa :D
Yes...that was exactly the point i was trying to make...it was actually done "tongue in cheek" when i was writing it...even my comment about "gnome rules" and of course my put downs of various aspects of the kde desktop and applications...which is what i have been reading in so many comments in this thread regarding gnome...i just wanted to "turn the tables" as it were, and show them what it sounds like when you are on the other end of it...

Oh and regarding about the testing having stopped on the iso at 94% (by ferri)...that is being testing by the community volunteers and this is a holiday weekend you know...so probably not too many around to work on it...and i would also imagine Clem has an outside life from mint and has plans for the weekend with family... :wink:

Happy New Year everyone :mrgreen:
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

I don't know what kde distro Craig was using that had the muon package manager. Mint KDE uses synaptic, Craig. The same one
you gnomees use. And as far as KDE programs, they are far superior. Like k9copy for instance. Rhythmbox? Give me a break! Amarok
out shines and out performs rhythmbox in every aspect. The feature list doesn't even compare. You should be thankful that KDE software
works on gnome because without them, you wouldn't have much of a system. :lol:
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

Return to “KDE”