Mint 12 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daboo

Mint 12 KDE

Post by Daboo »

FWIW, I decided to take a chance, figuring I had nothing to lose. I had installed Mint 12 and formatted the partions so it would install clean. After the installation, I installed "KDE-Full" from the Software Manager. I figured that if it didn't work, I could just reinstall from scratch with nothing lost but an hour of time.

From what I can tell in looking through the forum posts, it is working more smoothly than the Gnome versions. No issues at all. The version that installs is 4.7.2.

Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by LindseyD. »

I was planning to do the same thing. You've answered my two big questions: Does it work, and which version of KDE do I get. Thanks for the info.
Mint17 KDE
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

Yeah, I've read for months of the issue of getting a KDE version built and the lack of resources to do so with. It probably is an issue if you don't want any Gnome software "contaminating" your system. I don't care. The Gnome software is residing quite nicely without causing any issues that I can find. And none of it really takes up much room on the drive. I am well within the size of partions I had set up originally for LM10 KDE...with both desktops installed.

It has seemed like a win-win to me. I get the KDE desktop I've come to like a lot, and if I want a little bit of change, I just select one of the other LM12 desktops at boot.

Chris
redkey

Post by redkey »

Thank you Chris for this posting, I can not get use to the gnome desktop (it is not for all), and I was not planning moving to any newer versions of linux-mint that did not include the kde-desktop (also not for all). I did as you posted, through software manager I downloaded "kde-full" after a fresh linux-mint 64-bit 12 gnome install. I did not format my /home directory and never-the-less every thing was "fine and dandy", personel settings and all. thanks again.
Happy holidays all.
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

I thank you too, because I've been wondering the same thing. I know my laptop doesn't seem to like KDE (graphical glitches on Mint 10 KDE), but I've got a nice graphics card on my desktop so I might experiment with it on that.
oldal

Post by oldal »

LindseyD. wrote:I was planning to do the same thing. You've answered my two big questions: Does it work, and which version of KDE do I get. Thanks for the info.
After I install a virgin version of Mint12 on my multi-booting PC, I will try to install KDE-Full.

Just that currently I have a very limited vision in one eye, so with 1 and 1/2 eyes it is a tough call...
exton

Post by exton »

Until Linux Mint 12 KDE original gets released you could try my DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas Live DVD with KDE 4.7.3 (latest stable version) and kernel 3.1.4 (latest stable version).
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

You people still think a Mint-KDE is coming? lol
papamint

Post by papamint »

I haven't tried Mint 12 with KDE. Had not though of doing as you did. However I did install Kubuntu 11. 10. The KDE 4.7.2 is working far better on my laptop than did Gnome 3, any flavor.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I had done the same to LMDE a while back and it worked great. Since I wanted to change LMDE from testing to stable, decided to do a reinstall of the version just before Squeeze went final. Now I want to keep that as Gnome so that I can stay with Gnome 2 another couple of years. Sooooo...I already have a Clonezilla clone of my Mint 12 installation, now would be a good time to change it over to KDE and see how it goes. My tactic though usually includes stripping away most of the Gnome stuff except the absolutely necessary dependencies.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote:You people still think a Mint-KDE is coming? lol
According to Clem Linux Mint 12 KDE is Ubuntu based and should be out before Christmas...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That's two more weeks. I can have KDE tomorrow. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
exton

Post by exton »

Tomorrow? Why not today?
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

tdockery97 wrote:...My tactic though usually includes stripping away most of the Gnome stuff except the absolutely necessary dependencies.
There is definitely something to be said for that. However, I recognize I'm the kind of user who likes to see something new, and I'm also curious about all the hub-bub regarding the Gnome desktops. I hadn't intended it this way, but installing KDE Full allows me the best of both worlds. I can do as I did this morning and boot into the new Gnome 3 desktop, fool around for a few minutes, and then log out and go into KDE where I feel more comfortable.

In my case, I'd probably strip out something I needed in trying to eliminate all traces of Gnome. So this actually seems safer.

FWIW, I'm not bashing Gnome. I especially don't want to come across as bashing the incredible work the people who sacrificed a lot of time and effort to code all these desktops. They've done a tremendous job, and I appreciate it very much.

Chris
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Daboo wrote:
FWIW, I'm not bashing Gnome. I especially don't want to come across as bashing the incredible work the people who sacrificed a lot of time and effort to code all these desktops. They've done a tremendous job, and I appreciate it very much.
In terms of the user experience, there's more difference between Gnome and KDE than there is between Windows and Mac. It's very much different strokes for different folks.
Mint17 KDE
colyn

Post by colyn »

exton wrote:Tomorrow? Why not today?
Because it is not Linux Mint....................
davidvrbanec

Post by davidvrbanec »

Some news about this topic. Clem posted comment on Linux Mint Blog and said this:
In terms of timing, we’re hoping for an RC this month. You’re not going to see both an RC and a stable release before Xmas.
I think stable LM12 KDE will be released in first week in 2012.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Don't you have to have a 11 before you can have a 12? You can call it 12 but if it comes after 10 it's 11.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Added KDE to Mint 12 today. It is running sweeeet! :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Electroman6913

Post by Electroman6913 »

I also installed kde on LMDE and it is working great.

Return to “Software & Applications”