Page 10 of 12

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am
by KBD47
podagee wrote:kubuntu not only runs sluggish,the d.e seemed very buggy to me.kubuntu -100.tried the kde-full and it operated the same as kubuntu.im trusting the clem and the gang will create a far better kde version since he's doing a great job with d.e tweaks
Right now I'm trying out Netrunner 4 KDE. I read on the Mint blog that Netrunner and Mint are teaming up on KDE so I thought I'd give their version a try. It's a dinosaur on my netbook. Looks gorgeous, lots of pretty features, but terribly slow. Feels very much like Kubuntu on my netbook, though I think it looks nicer. The font rendering on Netrunner is better than either Kubuntu or Mepis with KDE. I think if Mint's KDE version is this good or better the KDE fans will be happy. I probably would not hesitate to install it if I had more ram and a better processor (mine is 1gig ram & 1.66 ghz).
KBD47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:28 am
by podagee
i have the same amount of ram and processor size,but,will definately look into the netrunner.gonna try out opensuse kde.just bored...still trying to find that perfect kde

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 am
by KBD47
podagee wrote:i have the same amount of ram and processor size,but,will definately look into the netrunner.gonna try out opensuse kde.just bored...still trying to find that perfect kde
I may keep it on a usb just to play with. It looks great if it just wasn't so slow. I think a Mint Debian KDE would have run fine on my computer since Mepis did, but I fear a Mint Lisa KDE will be too heavy just like netrunner. I've also been using a gnome fallback spin called Freezy Linux, really liking it, very fast and light on my netbook.
KBD47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:24 am
by podagee
well i just played with opensuse 12.1 kde.its alright just too bad i dont know a thing about opensuse.click on the temperature widget and was shocked my computer was really heating up it was at about 50 degrees and shot up to around 107.dont know what that was about so i logged out.i am so used to ubuntu/debian based distros.would like to learn others.
gonna checkout mandriva 2011.they have a pretty nice kde.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:28 am
by ferri
BubbaBlues wrote:I predict that KDE will eventually become the main version of Mint. Gnome has gone completely off the deep end. As bad as it was before, it's
even worse now.
I do not think so.
According me KDE will only increase its present little rate of mint versions.
Because it is Cinnamon as rescue here. After Unity, Gnome shell there is the light at the end of tunnel. :)

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:46 am
by ferri
podagee wrote: gonna checkout mandriva 2011.they have a pretty nice kde.
As a lonftime former mandriva user I am warning you. :!:
I was mandrake/mandriva user since 2002. But mandriva 2011 broke me down. After 3 weeks I threw it out.
It is disaster, crap, horror, nightmare in one. :!:
Only the own risk. :!:

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 am
by gerhardy
Looks like Netrunner servers are down...must be all the Mint users trying to download Netrunner. I think that the Mint/Netrunner KDE edition will really take off seeing that Blue Systems is now the main sponsor of Mint. This will be great for all Linux enthusiast and further the adoption of Linux by the mainstream.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 am
by BostonPeng
KBD47 wrote:... I was kind of hoping Mint KDE would be Debian. Mepis 11 based on Debian with KDE flies on my netbooks. Kubuntu runs like a slug. Will still check out Mint's KDE version when it's released.
KBD47
I have to agree with you KBD. I was disappointed that the first new release of Mint KDE would be built on the Ubuntu foundation but I understand that this way they can get it out the door faster, especially since Debian KDE doesn't even have Kpackagekit yet. I may look into helping out getting some missing Debian KDE packages built just to help us get closer to the KDE so many of us are looking for. (I doubt seriously Mint KDE built on Kubuntu will be what we want.)

I'll throw Mint 12 KDE on a USB to try out but I won't blow away LMDE + KDE 4.7.2 just to install an official Mint KDE release. LMDE has already spoiled me, even though I am without some packages I want/need like Kpackagekit and python-appindicator. And speaking of python-appindicator I need to take another look at Wally. Without python-appindicator I can't even install Webilder outside of a VM to add to my 500+ wallpaper image playlist.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 pm
by ferri
So both 32bit and 64bit isos of LM 12 KDE are approved for RC release.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:56 pm
by BostonPeng
Sweet!

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 pm
by BubbaBlues
So when can we get it? 8)

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm
by tdockery97
Just keep an eye on the mirrors listed under "Project" on the Main Page.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm
by KBD47
podagee wrote:well i just played with opensuse 12.1 kde.its alright just too bad i dont know a thing about opensuse.click on the temperature widget and was shocked my computer was really heating up it was at about 50 degrees and shot up to around 107.dont know what that was about so i logged out.i am so used to ubuntu/debian based distros.would like to learn others.
gonna checkout mandriva 2011.they have a pretty nice kde.
I believe I read a news article about Mandriva being on the brink of bankruptcy. Magea might be better to try. I think it's a Mandriva fork.
Never warmed up to any of the Redhat distros. Pretty much hated Fedora. Feduntu was the only one I liked much.
KBD47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:35 pm
by KBD47
gerhardy wrote:Looks like Netrunner servers are down...must be all the Mint users trying to download Netrunner. I think that the Mint/Netrunner KDE edition will really take off seeing that Blue Systems is now the main sponsor of Mint. This will be great for all Linux enthusiast and further the adoption of Linux by the mainstream.
Netrunner was down last night. I did a google search and found the netrunner 4 iso on softpedia I think. Netrunner is still down today.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:44 pm
by KBD47
Bostonpeng, Mint Debian is pretty impressive. LMDX is my main OS right now. The only thing that concerns me is that when updates finally come for latest it may be a big mess. I've been tempted to point to the Testing repositories.
I suspect that a Mint Debian KDE version would be very good. But I'm not interested in installing a Kubuntu based KDE either.
KBD47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:50 pm
by BostonPeng
I'm already using the testing repos to use LMDE and KDE 4.7.4 and I'm pretty happy with it, despite lacking some packages I want. I follow the testing threads under LMDE pretty closely to make sure I don't inadvertently hose my poor laptop. I almost feel sorry for those using the Kubuntu base since I know how nice the Debian base is.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:07 pm
by KBD47
BostonPeng wrote:I'm already using the testing repos to use LMDE and KDE 4.7.4 and I'm pretty happy with it, despite lacking some packages I want. I follow the testing threads under LMDE pretty closely to make sure I don't inadvertently hose my poor laptop. I almost feel sorry for those using the Kubuntu base since I know how nice the Debian base is.
My first Linux distro was Mepis. I can't say enough good things about it. If the font rendering was better, and the apps more up to date I'd probably still be using it. I can only imagine how nice a Mint Debian KDE would be with newer software and a bit of polish. You can pretty much beat Debian Stable to death and not break it. I'm considering switching LMDX over to the Stable repository when Wheezy becomes Stable.
KBD47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:20 pm
by podagee
installed netrunner 4.0 dryland and i must say...im pretty impressed.a rather nice kde.thanks for the heads kbd47

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm
by KBD47
podagee wrote:installed netrunner 4.0 dryland and i must say...im pretty impressed.a rather nice kde.thanks for the heads kbd47
Cool :-) If it was faster on my netbook I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a regular basis.

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm
by colyn
BubbaBlues wrote:So when can we get it? 8)
I'm downloading the 64 bit RC right now..

Check some of the mirrors under testing. You should find it there..