Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by craig10x »

good luck Manny :D
to tell you the truth...if i were into kde i would be using kubuntu...i think it's a terrific kde distro.....the reason i prefer mint is because in the case of gnome....mint is the better ubuntu :wink:
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

craig10x wrote:Well, it's really kubuntu with a bit different theming, mint tools added (like the gnome version has), codecs already installed, mint software center instead of the one that kubuntu has... and actually more gnome programs installed by default then kubuntu normally has...that sort of stuff...I played with earlier editions of the kde mint and i was just as happy using kubuntu as i was using the mint version of it, to be quite honest...but after a spell i realized that i just felt more "comfortable" using gnome... :wink:
I think that LM 12 KDE is going be the only proper version of LM 12.
I have been always KDE user. Previous two panels (upper and bottom) Gnome 2 was not for me and present Gnome Shell too.
So I was happy that I found LM 11 with its Gnome 2 concept after abandoning Mandriva 2011, because that concept had taste of KDE.
But if there was LM 11 KDE, I would be use it.

This time I feel LM 12 MGSE like some semi-version and testing version for cinnamon and LM 13.
I know this is development and it must be. It is OK. And we will see ... :)
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

very good ferri :)
i just added the "cinnamon session" to my mint 12 and it is coming along nicely (considering it is only in alpha) doesn't have all the features yet but i see the potential there...and of course only 1 panel on bottom like kde and the old mint had...new menu is very nice too :wink:
mint 13 gnome should be very nice indeed...and i am sure your kde mint will be appearing (as an RC) fairly soon too :D
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

Craig, you're beginning to sound like the White House press spokesman. (You can take that any way you wish. :) )

When I look at the repository you sent the link to, I see that most files were date stamped on December 8th, a few on December 12th and the latest files on December 15th. Yet, it is being actively worked on. When I look at the Cinnamon link, I see files that were updated anywhere from December 19th to 11 hours ago.

Actions speak louder than words.

Chris
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Chris...you really don't know what is being done behind the scenes...so you really shouldn't make any assumptions about it's progress...all i know is Clem mentioned just a few days ago that there was 3 items that required attention and once they were straightened out he would be able to give it to the testing community...as you know, once testing is 100% approved it then would go to release candidate and then (usually about 2 weeks or so later) to final edition...that is the way mint has always worked...

In fact..here is part of that reply from Clem (and this was on Dec 24th):

I am also working on the KDE and LXDE editions, I started them at the beginning of the month. The KDE edition is not far from entering testing but it’s got a few issues I need to fix (in particular in regards to mime types, Firefox and apturl) before submitting to QA.

Also, you forget that he has two other full time people working on the various things with him (one permanent and one temporary)...
That's really about all i have to say on this thread...but just wanted to let you know (i keep up on all this stuff....lol)... :wink:

Really...it is obviously coming soon...but if you don't have the patience to wait...then best to try another distro...as far as feeling like a 2nd class citizen...well, how do you think the gnome fans feel over at PcLinuxOs...the Gnome edition (based on Gnome 3) has been coming for an eternity now....and they still don't have a released 64 bit version of even the kde version (imagine how long they have been waiting for that to arrive!)...
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

craig10x wrote:Cinnamon wouldn't be less important if you were a gnome fan instead of a kde fan :lol:
So, we will have to agree to disagree on that one point :wink:
It's really not about what's important to end users and I appreciate that Gnome users want Gnome add-ons and bug fixes ahead of all else. It's what's important to the project. Clem has stated that KDE is the priority, soo for the project this must be most important at the moment.

If Clem fails yet again to get the KDE release out then his credibility is lessened which will affect the WHOLE project.
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

Daboo wrote:Craig, you're beginning to sound like the White House press spokesman. (You can take that any way you wish. :) )

When I look at the repository you sent the link to, I see that most files were date stamped on December 8th, a few on December 12th and the latest files on December 15th. Yet, it is being actively worked on. When I look at the Cinnamon link, I see files that were updated anywhere from December 19th to 11 hours ago.

Actions speak louder than words.

Chris

And Daboo, you are spot on. Cinnamon is updated hourly almost every day.
KDE is in the boonies!
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

yeah...but you guys can go to kubuntu and get a great desktop environment...if i go to ubuntu, what do i get? UNITY :roll: :lol:
that's why i am happy that Clem is pushing on with Cinnamon...I already have the alpha installed and it's very stable...but it's basic and still needs all the configuration options, themes, etc....

meanwhile Clem (and don't forget he has 2 other developers working with him right now) are working on your kde at the same time...so try not to be so discouraged... :)
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

I do not understand you, people.
I am also longtime KDE fan. But it seems to me that some peole do not have anything to do except waiting for LM 12 KDE.

I have some hardware which did not work under Mandriva 2010 and I was waiting for Mandriva 2011 with hope.
In the meantime I was searching and testing various KDE distros for 3-4 month. I found, tested and started using LM 11, which was not KDE but I was satisfied.
But still I was very looking forward Mandriva 2011. And finally Mandriva was out. And it was disaster. After throwing out Mandriva 2011 I was back on LM 11.
This is my short story.
So some one-two week are not matter for me.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

ferri wrote:I do not understand you, people.
I am also longtime KDE fan. But it seems to me that some peole do not have anything to do except waiting for LM 12 KDE.

I have some hardware which did not work under Mandriva 2010 and I was waiting for Mandriva 2011 with hope.
In the meantime I was searching and testing various KDE distros for 3-4 month. I found, tested and started using LM 11, which was not KDE but I was satisfied.
But still I was very looking forward Mandriva 2011. And finally Mandriva was out. And it was disaster. After throwing out Mandriva 2011 I was back on LM 11.
This is my short story.
So some one-two week are not matter for me.
Not quite sure what your point is, but if it is the wait then some of us have been waiting since Mint11 was released (KDE would normally follow the Gnome edition, so it's not just one or two weeks).

As for distro hopping most of us here have been there and done that. I'm waiting to update my "main" PC which is used by my whole family so continually changing distros is not viable.

There seem to be many users here who only consider their own needs and not those of the the community. Because you're ok with the situation does not mean that all users may be. Gnome users post here regularly saying there is no issue with the wait. If the Gnome edition were delayed as the KDE version had been there would be uproar.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

Fandangio wrote: Not quite sure what your point is, but if it is the wait then some of us have been waiting since Mint11 was released (KDE would normally follow the Gnome edition, so it's not just one or two weeks).

As for distro hopping most of us here have been there and done that. I'm waiting to update my "main" PC which is used by my whole family so continually changing distros is not viable.

There seem to be many users here who only consider their own needs and not those of the the community. Because you're ok with the situation does not mean that all users may be. Gnome users post here regularly saying there is no issue with the wait. If the Gnome edition were delayed as the KDE version had been there would be uproar.
Of course.
I did not quite understand your situation. After your explanation I see.
I have been on Mint fully since the end of September. So this is different for me.

But the similar me and Mandriva. I was waiting for Mandriva 2011 long. And I was trying to use it for 3 weeks after its releasing. And finally I resigned.
I was Mandrake/Mandriva user since 2002. I was very sad.
And why I mentioned it above.
We have many linux distributions. But few usable. And KDE usable distros even less. So LM 12 KDE is going to be one of them.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

craig10x wrote:to tell you the truth...if i were into kde i would be using kubuntu...i think it's a terrific kde distro...
PCLOS, too. Right now, the distros I'm using with KDE are Mepis, PCLOS, and Fedora 15. I have no idea which distro is the "best" KDE distro; for all I know, it could be Kubuntu. I simply haven't used Kubuntu here in a few years. Got to a point where I'd install Ubuntu and Mint, then add KDE to them later. Or else just add certain KDE apps to them.

As for Mint KDE, it should be clear by now that Linux Mint is not gonna be able to focus on the KDE version to the satisfaction of many Mint KDE users, despite any "promises" that have been made. It doesn't look like Mint KDE is ever gonna be high on the list of priorities.

So if I wanted KDE in Mint, I'd just install it myself. Problem solved.
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

+1 Malspa....and i have to mention that although i am not personally a big kde fan there is one kde program that is always a must install when i put on the latest mint and that is: K3b... best darn disc burner i have ever found on Linux...runs rings around Brasero...However, for most of the other programs i use, i generally like the gnome apps better which is why i didn't see much point to be on KDE itself...but you are right...KDE will never be the main priority on mint because Mint is primarily a gnome distro and that is what is used here by the largest volume of mint users...just a fact whether the kde mint fans like it or not...

And at PcLinuxOs it is just the opposite...KDE is King there...gnome is treated more like a third class citizen...no princess over there about it though..their forums do not permit it like mint does :wink: It IS an excellent KDE distro though i must say... :)
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

craig10x wrote: And at PcLinuxOs it is just the opposite...KDE is King there...gnome is treated more like a third class citizen...no princess over there about it though..their forums do not permit it like mint does :wink: It IS an excellent KDE distro though i must say... :)
Note one.
I think you are not fair in comparing Mint (Gnome) and PCLinuxOS (KDE).
Main version Mint has Ubuntu base.
PCLinuxOS has only its own packages. It is forked from Mandriva but it do not has Mandriva like base.
In this case of comparing it is correct to use Kubuntu like example because it has Ubuntu base and I think that it is currently one of best KDE distro. :)

Note two.
About my mobile internet which I have already mentioned.
Where Kubuntu, openSUSE Kde, Fedora Kde, Debian Kde, Mandriva work without problem, there PCLinuxOS gives me stupid answer Please check that your SIM card is inserted.
So I do not think that PCLinuxOS is so great. Not for me. :(
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

This thread demonstrates clearly the answer to the question: "Why so many distros?"

Everyone has different tastes and infinitely different hardware. That hardware may work well on one distro and not so well on another. So you may have to search for it, but the perfect distro and desktop environment is out there.

As for Mint 12 KDE, I agree with the statement above. If you can't wait, install it yourself. It's not any more difficult than installing and adjusting a new theme, it's just a little more time consuming.
Mint MATE 20.1
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Mint 12 KDE is 80% tested. yippee. 8)
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain
ruel24
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruel24 »

Can't wait to try it. So much for the Christmas deadline, but oh well. Good things come to those that wait...
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

see...told you guys that the kde was being worked on at the same time as Cinnamon...hope that relieves the skeptics among you :lol:
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

BubbaBlues wrote:Mint 12 KDE is 80% tested. yippee. 8)
Very good news. :D
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

BubbaBlues wrote:Mint 12 KDE is 80% tested. yippee. 8)
Just curious...what is your source?

Chris

Return to “KDE”