Mint KDE vs. GNOME KDE with install kde-full

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
digi123us
Level 1
Level 1

Mint KDE vs. GNOME KDE with install kde-full

Post by digi123us »

I've always been a fan of KDE but I don't like waiting several weeks after the GNOME version is released to get the KDE version. For the last few releases, I have been simply doing apt-get install kde-full when the latest Mint version is released. Is there much difference in the end results between doing it this way or waiting for the "official" KDE version to be released?

-- Digi
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint KDE vs. GNOME KDE with install kde-full

Post by tdockery97 »

Mostly in selection of packages. If you install KDE on top of Mint 12, when you boot up the Mint Update Manager will show up on your panel and it is fully functional. The default application launcher in Mint KDE is Lancelot Launcher, so you can just change the kickoff launcher to that if you prefer. Then you will have Mint KDE. I myself strip out Gnome and Mate so that I have a more pure KDE environment.

Here's what mine looks like:

Mint MATE 20.1
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

I did the same this time using the Software Manager. What I get is the option to boot into the other LM12 Gnome based desktops, as well as KDE. To me, it is the best of all worlds. As a user who likes the KDE desktop, I can boot into the others just to satisfy myself that I have what I like and don't need to change.

Chris
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

tdockery97 wrote:Mostly in selection of packages. If you install KDE on top of Mint 12, when you boot up the Mint Update Manager will show up on your panel and it is fully functional. The default application launcher in Mint KDE is Lancelot Launcher, so you can just change the kickoff launcher to that if you prefer. Then you will have Mint KDE. I myself strip out Gnome and Mate so that I have a more pure KDE environment.

Here's what mine looks like:

I have done apt install of full KDE on Linux Mint 12. Seems quite nice to me. My first date with KDE. So what am I likely missing if my default application launcher is not Lancelot Launcher?
Also, I would rather prefer to have both Gnome and KDE login options available form login screen, which I now have after KDE install. How does KDE desktop benefit if we take out Gnome? I thought one was Spanish and the other other was French translator for the Greek kernel? Just trying to understand it from end user perspective.

My KDE screen looks like this.
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

FWIW, since I wrote earlier, I've installed openSUSE KDE. The problem I had with the installation over the top of LM12 was all the Gnome applications in KDE that were cluttering things up. In an effort to clean things up, I cleaned too much and the system wouldn't reboot. The openSUSE KDE is a great distribution from what I can tell, and their forums are very helpful as well.

Chris

Return to “KDE”