Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
enigma
Level 1
Level 1

Missing Menu Items

Post by enigma »

Hello

I just installed LM12 and then I added kde-full. Everything works well except I am missing some menu items.

The items 'Services' and 'Hardware Drivers'(?) are missing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thnks
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Missing Menu Items

Post by LindseyD. »

Apparently there are several bugs in 4.7.2's menu. I think the solution to your problem is here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... =3110628.0 . And, just to give you a heads-up: you'll probably run into this one, too: http://bugs.kde.org/283658
Mint17 KDE
enigma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma »

Thank You LindseyD for the information.

I checked the links and the information appears to be valid in my case but I am not sure. The LM menu is a bit messy due to the app MATE. I have many, many entries that are not visible but I think they may be in a state of toggle depending upon which GNOME you are using.

But anyway, I followed some information from the links and found out that Services is probably started by services-admin but I don't have it nor can I find it in the packages. The closest I have is chkconfig and sysv-rv-conf. It is a start.

Hardware Drivers was difficult to find because it no longer exists. It is replaced by Additional Drivers and started by jockey-gtk.

I am eighty percent to the answer. I'll keep looking. I spoke too soon about everything working well. PulseAudio still wants to use an HDMI connector which isn't hooked up. ~/.gvfs is screwing up my rsync backups and Akonadi will not stop. May go back to LMDE KDE on my other hard drive.

Thanks again for you help
pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I installed LM KDE 4.7.3 using APT (Mint 12)
Looks fine to me.. you said that you have 4.7.2. Do you wanna try 4.7.3?
Everything seems ok to me, except that twice it has crashed, but that may be due to the tweaks I did from GNOME. Not sure.
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia
enigma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Missing Menu Items

Post by enigma »

Thanks pbanerjee

Thanks for the suggestion but after a couple of more things such as being unable to use a pae kernel. I downloaded it, installed it and selected it but it kept being overridden. Maybe Kubuntu cannot see all my memory?

I removed LM Kubuntu KDE and installed wheezy. The install picked a pae kernel and ~/.gvfs is not a mounted filesytem(?).
I will stay with pure Debian until an updated LM debian KDE is released. Looking at the posts, this doesn't look promising.

Thanks all

Return to “KDE”