Post by /dev/urandom »

That's what mirrors are for. :)

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by BubbaBlues »

There aren't any mirrors for the forum.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Ah, the website itself. Right. Why not btw?

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

BubbaBlues wrote:
I've been using Linux Mint 11 for some time, but upgraded to 12 a short wile ago.
Long story short: I hate Gnome3. The Mint team has done a good job at customizing, but I guess no matter how much you polish a turd, it will always be a turd (Gnome3 that is).
You can't polish the stink off can you? :lol:

I have to agree though about the crappy installer. It's been this way for way too long. Why the hell should anyone be forced to download all of those language packs? It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install a Linux system, but it takes almost an hour. Why doesn't someone fix it instead of just ignoring the problem for the last three releases?
The main reason that Linux Mint 12 KDE RC takes so long to install is, unlike the Main Edition, the installer updates the kernel during the install process. If you'll notice, your Grub2 screen shows two different kernels installed for LM 12 KDE. This is the first time that I know of that any Linux Mint edition install has done this--and yes, it shouldn't. Hopefully this will be fixed for the final release. By the way, I got this info off the Community website, ISO testing page for both LM 12 KDE 32 and 64 bit.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Then why does the installer say"Downloading language packs" for 30 minutes and then "installing language packs" after that? It doesn't take half
that long to downlaod a kernel.
"I sometimes wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by embeciles who really mean it."
Mark Twain

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

BubbaBlues wrote:Then why does the installer say"Downloading language packs" for 30 minutes and then "installing language packs" after that? It doesn't take half
that long to download a kernel.
Oh yeah, that's a problem that's been around for a long time now and I had completely forgotten about it. And that's been a problem not only with Linux Mint KDE but Kubuntu as well. There's a skip button that's supposed to show up when it comes time to download language packs and again when it comes time to install them but it's completely non-functional. I'd bet that's more a problem with the Kubuntu base or, more to the point, the Ubiquity installer for Kubuntu than it is with LM 12 KDE. Your connection speed also has a lot to do with how long someone will have to wait for the entire installation to complete. For me, I installed LM 12 KDE in slightly less than 20 minutes but I do agree, not being able to skip downloading and installing language packs as well as the installer updating the kernel is definitely a problem.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BubbaBlues »

Well on a brighter side, now that I'm passed the aggravation of the installer and the eula for true type fonts, I'm not having any problems with
Mint 12 KDE so far. I just can't figure out why the record stream script in amarok won't work. The only requirements are supposed to be streamripper and/or
mplayer. I have them both, but it just will not work. It works like a charm in pclos but not Mint. But it's not just Mint, because I've tried it in several
other distros as well to no avail. I used to use it in mint 10, so maybe it's a different version of amarok, or something. I'm just not enough of a geek to
figure it out evidently. :?
Mark Twain

pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

tdockery97 wrote:
edwardsantiago1000 wrote:IS it possible to install the LM12KDE environment on an existing LM12 installation?
Yes. The package you want to install is mint-meta-kde. Stay with it while it installs, because at a certain point it will ask you to choose between GDM or KDM as the login manager.
I updated/reloaded the Synaptic package library of my LM 12 default 64 bit version. But I couldn't find any package called mint-meta-kde. So where should I install it from?
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia

ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ferri »

pbanerjee wrote: I updated/reloaded the Synaptic package library of my LM 12 default 64 bit version. But I couldn't find any package called mint-meta-kde. So where should I install it from?
It is kde-full or kde-standard package. According what you want.

cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

ferri wrote:
pbanerjee wrote: I updated/reloaded the Synaptic package library of my LM 12 default 64 bit version. But I couldn't find any package called mint-meta-kde. So where should I install it from?
you have to add deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ lisa-kde main upstream import to your sources.list file and update system to see mint-meta-kde

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

ferri wrote:
And if you want to include the "mint-meta-kde" packages, you can try adding this line to your "sources.list" before you try installing:

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ lisa-kde main upstream import
Once you've added the line, installing "mint-meta-kde" should install the needed KDE packages.

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Mint 12 KDE has the same problem as Kubuntu 11.10: connecting 2 computers together in a network using either Samba or NFS makes things freeze. It can go well for a moment, but especially when you switch off a computer, in the other one Dolphin freezes completely. A shutdown is necessary to make things alive again.
When I was using Kubuntu I filed a bug but I get the feeling not much is being done with it.
In the weekend I updated KDE to the 4.8 RC2 hoping this would have been solved, but no, it did not.

Are there anymore people having this same problem? I can't imagine I am the only one. I'm using 2 completely different types of computers, one still with Kubuntu 11.10, the other (laptop) with Mint 12 KDE. I have tried Samba, I have tried NFS and both protocols make Dolphin freeze.
Second question: anyone able to help me with this? Thanks.

For the rest Mint KDE is really great, I love it very much. I have been a Gnome user until Gnome killed Gnome. I then made the step to KDE and I wish I had done that much earlier. Thank you Mint KDE team for this great distro.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

DeMus wrote:Mint 12 KDE has the same problem as Kubuntu 11.10: connecting 2 computers together in a network using either Samba or NFS makes things freeze. It can go well for a moment, but especially when you switch off a computer, in the other one Dolphin freezes completely. A shutdown is necessary to make things alive again.
When I was using Kubuntu I filed a bug but I get the feeling not much is being done with it.
In the weekend I updated KDE to the 4.8 RC2 hoping this would have been solved, but no, it did not.

Are there anymore people having this same problem? I can't imagine I am the only one. I'm using 2 completely different types of computers, one still with Kubuntu 11.10, the other (laptop) with Mint 12 KDE. I have tried Samba, I have tried NFS and both protocols make Dolphin freeze.
Second question: anyone able to help me with this? Thanks.

For the rest Mint KDE is really great, I love it very much. I have been a Gnome user until Gnome killed Gnome. I then made the step to KDE and I wish I had done that much earlier. Thank you Mint KDE team for this great distro.
I have two and sometimes three connected together with no problems..

pbanerjee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbanerjee »

kmb42vt wrote:
And if you want to include the "mint-meta-kde" packages, you can try adding this line to your "sources.list" before you try installing:

Once you've added the line, installing "mint-meta-kde" should install the needed KDE packages.
Got it! Thanks a lot
Partho Banerjee
Linux Mint 15 Olivia

plug_in
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plug_in »

To put it in laymens.....me-----> :D after installing linux mint KDE. I first want to say that I'm running a Acer aspire one netbook with all the standards for that besides the 250 gig ssd. I have played around with a few distro's before getting to KDE. Being that I always wanted to try a linux distro my first instincts took me to google and I did a few searches. I tried Ubuntu netbook remix first for obvious reasons and deffinitely liked it. However when I decided to upgrade to the latest version (netbook remix=dated) all my performance went totally down the drain. Then I tried Crunchbang which I thought would give me better speed being that its on the lighter side of distro's. Well it was faster then ubuntu, it still wasnt what I was looking for. Then I tried Mint lisa. It worked amazing and really liked it. Then I got it in my head that I wasn't a newb anymore ( :roll: dummmb!) and decided to take a try at Arch....after about 15 hours spread across three days I finally got my desktop environment running and I chose KDE for that being that Arch is totally customizable. I realized that I had found what I was looking for with KDE. After the hours of work I spent just getting KDE going on Arch when it came time to get adobe flash going I threw in the towl but starting doing some distro searches that used KDE. When I realized that mint had a KDE version I thought it was too good to be true haha. So I got Mint KDE up and running and I want to shout it out to all the people who are working on this project good ***king job. Runs like a charm on my netbook as if the computer was designed to run Mint KDE. Ofcourse theres a few bugs but comon its an RC and being that it runs so well im sure a full release is on the way soon...I useually never join forum's anymore but I had to just so I could say how amazed I am with this! As for the donwnloading speed with the lang. packs I did not have a problem and had the OS running in about 15 minutes however my internet connection is extremely fast. I was wondering if there is anyway I can be of service in helping work out the bugs? The only problems I've had is the application manager as other people have stated, a crash after messing with the backgrounds and other settings, thats also been mentioned, and the third is I get a message saying something isnt running properly that pops down from the notifications on start up. I apologize that I cant remember what it says now but I will up date. Thanks again developers and thanks for reading!

disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

[quote="DeMus"]Mint 12 KDE has the same problem as Kubuntu 11.10: connecting 2 computers together in a network using either Samba or NFS makes things freeze.

I have some questions, they may be ridiculous, but it may help in figuring out the issue.

1. What workgroup are the computers in? ( You can set this up, in the samba config)
2. Have you created users on both computers and given them adequate rights? ( don't know if this is relevant, but wouldn't hurt)
3. Are you using DHCP for ip addressing?, if so, Then give each computer a static ip and see what happens.
4. Have you done a traceroute to see how many milliseconds is it taking to respond? ( should be very short)
5. Have you done any other research outside of upgrading KDE to 4.8?

Sometimes you have to find the common denominator in the issue, If you updated to 4.8 and still have the same issue, Then you might want to look at dolphin and search to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

One other thing is you could have a hardware issue itself, maybe try different network cards if that is possible. If you have wireless, then try connecting through wifi and see if you get the same issue.

Are there any warnings that come up, if so, copy them to this forum and maybe someone can help. The more information that is provided, the better chance that someone has a solution or at least can point you in the right direction.

Have a great day! :D

DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Thank you disciple1964,
The story I wrote is of not complete, there is more to it.
First I was a Gnome user and in that time I had no problem whatsoever with my network. I used Nautilus as file-manager and it worked great. I don't think it is hardware related.
Then came Gnome3 and I switched to KDE, for obvious reasons.
It was then when the trouble started. I used Kubuntu 11.10 on both computers, one desktop (with ethernet) and one laptop (with wireless and ethernet).
On the laptop I switched to Mint KDE12 but that didn't change anything. With both OS's I used Dolphin as filemanager.
I, just now, installed Gnome-Commander to see if that changes anything. Have not any results yet but will let you know soon.

My computers use semi DHCP, which is as follows: they both have DHCP settings but in the router I coupled the MAC-addresses to fixed IP-addresses so each computer, although using DHCP settings in the computer always gets the same IP-address.
Both computers are in the same workgroup (smb.conf), as is my wife's Windows computer, with which I have no problem at all. It's just the connection between my two Linux machines.
In both computers I, as external user, have read/write rights which works.

traceroute 192.168.1.21
traceroute to 192.168.1.21 (192.168.1.21), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  LinuxDesktop21.local (192.168.1.21)  3.866 ms  3.769 ms  3.754 ms
When things work I have a data transmission speed of 11.5MB/s (both computers using 100Mb/s ethernet) using NFS, with Samba only around 7MB/s.

Are there any problems with Dolphin I don't know about? Anyway I will now use the Gnome-commander and let you know here how things work out.
Thanks for your answer and your help. If you have anymore advice please let me know.

Edit: also with gnome-commander the computer hangs once I shutdown the other one. It's exactly the same as with Dolphin: I have to use the power switch to shutdown the computer.
Who has any ideas which might help me?
Last edited by DeMus on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morphex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morphex »

pbanerjee wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

Got it! Thanks a lot
Hi, i tried this but you cant have both metas (kde and gnome) installled. So it fails.
If I remove gnome meta then there are still unmet dependecies (artwork).

I wanted to install LM Gnome on my existing LM KDE installation.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

morphex wrote:
pbanerjee wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

Got it! Thanks a lot
Hi, i tried this but you cant have both metas (kde and gnome) installled. So it fails.
If I remove gnome meta then there are still unmet dependecies (artwork).

I wanted to install LM Gnome on my existing LM KDE installation.
Okay, makes sense. Having one or the other installed should get you all the basic "extras that Mint supplies anyway. Stupid mistake on my part as I knew you could only have one or the other installed but apparently I my brain slipped into neutral when I posted my comment. Sorry about that.

Evil-K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Evil-K »

I tested the 64 bit RC via USB stick. I ran into problems immediately when it completely froze up while using Firefox except for the mouse (the pointer would move around, but not do anything, not even change when it came across text or hyperlink). Decided to try again, got the same result when using Firefox. Tried yet again. This time, I figured I'd install it because maybe, it's a problem in the Live environment and that things will iron out in an update. WRONG.

Interestingly enough, the same thing happened when I reinstalled Kubuntu 11.10 afterwards while moving my backed up files (I <3 my portable HD), so it's entirely possible that it's my computer, although right now I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 without a hitch. The short version of what I'm running: an HP Pavilion a6700y, AMD Phenom x4 9150 E quad core, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, NVidia GEForce 6150E video. Blah blah blah yada yada.

I also ran into a weird bug in Kubuntu 11.10 64 bit where the menus - including the App menu - would come down from the top of the screen, despite the taskbar being down on the bottom. This might be something to be on the lookout for with Mint 12 KDE.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

Return to “KDE”