Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BubbaBlues

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by BubbaBlues »

mank_in wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:I tried to install the kubuntu restricted extras (I was trying to get the record stream script to work in amarok). But it froze in the eula for microsoft true type fonts. There is no place to accept or deny the user agreement and you can't get rid of it. It happens in synaptic as well as the terminal. All you can do is kill the program (synaptic or terminal)
and it renders apt-get inoperable. It's a horrible mess!.
you can see how to accept the eula in : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1868888
or you can try install "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" in synaptic first
Dadgummit! I tried everything and clicked everything, except tab. I should have known that! I'm an idiot sometimes. :oops:
Thanks Colyn.
jari

Post by jari »

I've just installed mint 12 kde and everything worked well, but after install some applications the gtk+ appearance messed up. Firefox and the welcome screen have that ugly appearance. I tried to solve that as explained on this page http://tinyurl.com/8a82hmy, but it didn't work at all.

Any tip on how to solve that?
vaxxipooh

Post by vaxxipooh »

tdockery97 wrote:It's really sweet if you upgrade to KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 RC2). :mrgreen:
How do i do that ?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

vaxxipooh wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:It's really sweet if you upgrade to KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 RC2). :mrgreen:
How do i do that ?
The PPA with instructions is here: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/beta. It will update your KDE system to 4.7.97 and leave the Mint bits alone (Update Manager, etc.).
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
edwardsantiago1000

Post by edwardsantiago1000 »

IS it possible to install the LM12KDE environment on an existing LM12 installation?
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

I give up on Linux Mint KDE, I ran it from the cd and it went ok, but once i started to install it, it took nearly an hour, first of i would like to say, why in hell is there not an option to skip downloading the language pack and also the packages downloads when installing.

If you pick English at the start of the install then so that should be the language and not download all the other foreign languages, after all that waiting and waiting for it to finish the install, it asked me if i want to reboot which i did, then the big let down came, it started to boot and low and behold the same old problem it just gets stuck on a grey screen with a white line at the top and no matter what i did it just would not budge.

My card is an ATI HD6850.

In regards to the language pack, if anyone suggest's for me to turn of the modem, forget it, it's a wireless modem, there should be an option to skip them.

Well i tried Linux Mint again, and as far as i am concerned that's it from me, i am sick of wasting my time with it, time for me to move on and go back to windows.

No good suggesting to do this and that, as far as i am concerned it should pick the graphics card and run just like windows does.

So maybe someone comes and says what do you expect for free, i can tell you that i pay a price for free and it's proven above, no thanks i stick with what works for me.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

First of all, I'm a GNOME fan ;)

That said, I really like Mint 12 KDE
It looks good, works great on my 7,5 years old Fujitsu laptop

Let's hope Clem will make Mint 13 LTS version with KDE
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

Chuckie,

Sorry you are having problems with Mint KDE 12. I would like to make a suggestion, Rather than blaming mint for issues, why don't you post the exact problems you are having and maybe someone can help you. I don't see how the modem has anything to do with language packs causing your system not to load, can you post a screenshot and let us see what may be happening? Learning how to use a new OS to me is never a waste of time, However you are entitled to your opinion and if you feel windows is a better platform for you, then maybe sticking with a platform you feel comfortable with, would be a good idea.

Personally, Windows is much more troubled platform than linux, but that's just my opinion... :P
ferri

Post by ferri »

disciple1964 wrote:Chuckie,

Sorry you are having problems with Mint KDE 12. I would like to make a suggestion, Rather than blaming mint for issues, why don't you post the exact problems you are having and maybe someone can help you. I don't see how the modem has anything to do with language packs causing your system not to load, can you post a screenshot and let us see what may be happening? Learning how to use a new OS to me is never a waste of time, However you are entitled to your opinion and if you feel windows is a better platform for you, then maybe sticking with a platform you feel comfortable with, would be a good idea.

Personally, Windows is much more troubled platform than linux, but that's just my opinion... :P
He will return. :D It needs time.
It was the same at me. There were periods when I was disappointed from linux. And after it there were periods of disappointment from windows.
So finally I desided fully for linux. :D And it takes about 6 years, I think.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

edwardsantiago1000 wrote:IS it possible to install the LM12KDE environment on an existing LM12 installation?
Yes. The package you want to install is mint-meta-kde. Stay with it while it installs, because at a certain point it will ask you to choose between GDM or KDM as the login manager.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
edwardsantiago1000

Post by edwardsantiago1000 »

tdockery97 wrote:
edwardsantiago1000 wrote:IS it possible to install the LM12KDE environment on an existing LM12 installation?
Yes. The package you want to install is mint-meta-kde. Stay with it while it installs, because at a certain point it will ask you to choose between GDM or KDM as the login manager.
which is aesthetically better?

edit:Terminal can't find the package even after sudo apt-get update. Do I have to add a repository or something?
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

I'm also planning to add mint-meta-kde to my Mint 12.
I tried MGSE, Mate, Cinnamon... not satisfied with my ati graphics performance, but Gnome 3 Classic runs fine.
Mint 12 KDE RC is very promising for me, but I hate the thought of having to reinstall from scratch.
I already completely removed Mate, should I remove Cinnamon too before adding KDE?
Btw, what KDE version will I get through mint-meta-kde?
vaxxipooh

Post by vaxxipooh »

Hmm ... how do i upgrade to KDE 4.7.97 ?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

To get the Mint KDE you have to have this repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ lisa-kde main upstream import

The current KDE version in Lisa is 4.7.4
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
disciple1964

Post by disciple1964 »

To all,

Seems like chuckie should have read the release notes. The black screen issue is not a bug or problem, but by design

Black splash screens
In Linux Mint 12 the boot splash screen is completely black. It doesn't show a logo with green dots as it used to. This is by design. Once the system is installed the boot sequence is relatively fast. The black loading sequence doesn't look out of place and it looks consistent across all computers, whatever driver you're using.
colyn

Post by colyn »

BubbaBlues wrote: Dadgummit!
Spoken like a true Okie.............. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ivarth

Post by ivarth »

I'm getting really excited by the KDE version!

I've been using Linux Mint 11 for some time, but upgraded to 12 a short wile ago.
Long story short: I hate Gnome3. The Mint team has done a good job at customizing, but I guess no matter how much you polish a turd, it will always be a turd (Gnome3 that is).

On monday I got fed up with Gnome3 and scratched my Mint12 for Kubuntu 11.10. I have before tried to like KDE but it never caught on. Until now!
I've been having so much fun being able to customize things again! It's a change from Gnome, but I like it very much.
Then I saw the announcement from Mint about the KDE version of Mint12 was very excited about that and can't wait for the final version!
I've been trying it out in vmware and so far so good!

I do have one minor gripe with Mint though.....I like splash screens, I like the screens in Ubuntu/kubuntu where you can actually see that something is going on. Since they can do it and it seems to work on most computers, why won't Mint do it?
I know the reasons, but still.....I want it! :)
ferri

Post by ferri »

Copied from Linux Mint Blog. It is about disabling Akonadi and Nepomuk.
Posted by bobby.

Disabling akonadi, alt+f2, start typing akonadi, akonadi configuration menu will appear, click it, go to akonadi server configuration – tab, then press stop at the bottom right also uncheck Use internal MYsQL server. In notification it will show that akonadi has been stopped.

1. Disable Semantic Desktop
a: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Basic Settings, unticked Nepomuk and Strigi
b: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Desktop Query, unticked “Index files on removable media” and unticked every folder under “Customise index folders…”
c: System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Backup, set “Backup frequency” to Disable

2. Disable Notifications:
a: System Settings -> Application and System Notifications -> Manage Notifications, unticked all the “Show me a message in a popup” under “Desktop Search” and Semantic Desktop”

Before it I had about 280MB in RAM after login.
After it I have about 190MB in RAM after login.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I've been using Linux Mint 11 for some time, but upgraded to 12 a short wile ago.
Long story short: I hate Gnome3. The Mint team has done a good job at customizing, but I guess no matter how much you polish a turd, it will always be a turd (Gnome3 that is).
You can't polish the stink off can you? :lol:

I have to agree though about the crappy installer. It's been this way for way too long. Why the hell should anyone be forced to download all of those language packs? It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install a Linux system, but it takes almost an hour. Why doesn't someone fix it instead of just ignoring the problem for the last three releases?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

And do something about the horribly slow servers. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to load a web page either!

Return to “Software & Applications”