Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DeMus
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by DeMus »

I have installed Mint 12 KDE now a few times and every time I get messages that Nepomuk found an error and is disabled. I have no idea what I do wrong. I just wonder if I can switch it off (un-install) it together with Akonadi which only seems to work for typical KDE programs (Kmail, etc). Can I do that without running into more problems?

Then I have an issue with Thunderbird, but I wonder if that is related to Mint or KDE, although in previous OS'es I never ran into this: when I type an e-mail and during writing I switch to another window (webbrowser, file-manager, whatever) so the e-mail write window looses focus, the spelling-checker doesn't know any of the words I typed. Every word gets this red line underneath it. I then select the spelling-checker again and all is well, till the next time another window gets the focus.

Another problem is still the samba and/or NFS connections to my other computers. When the other computers are one everything works great, I can read and write on network drives as I please, but as soon as one of them is switched off, the problems start: Dolphin, KDE-menu and also other programs hang. Somehow they try to look in the network drives but since they are no longer available the programs just keep waiting and trying to make contact. I can then switch off the computer with the main power button and start allover again. I filed a bug but it seems not much is done about that. I don't see any news about it, although I have written a couple of times on the webpage with the report.

User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by colyn »

Alt+F2

type akonadi in the search box and click Akonadi Server Configuration

Click stop in the lower right then untick use internal My SQL server top left. Apply then OK..

Menu-system settings-Desktop Search. Under Basic Settings tab untick enable Nepokuk Sematic Desktop then apply.

Click Desktop Query tab and click Customize Index Folders and untick all ticked folders under Folders to Index then apply.

Click Backup tab and make sure backup frequency is disabled. Apply then close and reboot...

I've tried to recreate your Samba issues but cannot..

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by DeMus »

Colyn,

Please tell me how you installed the samba connection because I simply can not use it, neither NFS. As I wrote when the other computer is on it works but as soon as I switch it off the trouble starts.
Please tell me in detail how you did it because I always have problems here and if you have not I am doing something wrong.
Thanks

User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by colyn »

DeMus wrote:Colyn,

Please tell me how you installed the samba connection because I simply can not use it, neither NFS. As I wrote when the other computer is on it works but as soon as I switch it off the trouble starts.
Please tell me in detail how you did it because I always have problems here and if you have not I am doing something wrong.
Thanks
As far as the smb.conf file I did nothing.

The only thing I did to share via samba was to create a folder named share in /home then right-clicked it. Under permissions I gave owner and group full permission and others limited permission. Then tick the box in the lower left to apply changes to folders and files. Next I clicked the share tab and ticked both boxes and gave everybody full permission.

To check your smb file for errors open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
if you use another text editor sub it for gedit. Click save and close the editor then in the open terminal enter

Code: Select all

testparm
and look for errors. If there are any errors you'll need to fix them or find another correct copy of smb.conf and replace the old one with the correct one..

User avatar
andromeda.
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by andromeda. »

Thanks to Clem and developers,
I have updated the system, installed kernelpae3.0.0.15 and all is well
hello
Last edited by andromeda. on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 12 Lisa Kde, Kernel 3.0.0.15 pae , the best kde
Mint 10 Julia, Kernel 2.6.38.8 awn , a 'good alternative
ASUS X5DIP,Pentium T4400 NVIDIA GEFORCE G205M

blue_bullet
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 8:45 pm
Location: NW Montana

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by blue_bullet »

I am a refugee from Ubuntu 11.04. Things went south for me after 10.10. I went to Linux Mint 11 and loved it. Still using it on my laptops along with LM12. and LM12-KDE . LM 11 usb would not install on my new ZT Systems desktop, but LM 12 usb would. Go figure. That pretty much forced me to start using LM12. Even with Cinnamon it looks like things like Nautilus Actions might take some time to be reimplemented. Don't you love it when developers take away functionality like the gnome people did? Anyway I took the plunge to KDE though many have criticized it over the years. I love it. I have regained the ability to shred files in Dolphin just as I could in Nautilus. The look is clean and crisp.

I have 2 problems with KDE 4.8. One is with KGpg. I get the error:

GnuPG failed to start.
You must fix the GnuPG error first before running KGpg.

The error has to do with the non existence of an options file. That used to be ignored, but now must be addressed. I don't yet know how to address it. You cannot just create an options file under /home/userid/.gnpu. It gets ignored.
The bug has been reported and presumably fixed, but I cannot find the fix in backports. http://ubuntu.5.n6.nabble.com/KDE-4-8-G ... 42473.html

The second problem is with usb printers attached to my desktop. When I print to them from my laptops they hit the print queue but never print. Print jobs from the desktop always print be it from Windows 7, Linux Mint 12, or Linux Mint 12-KDE, all 64 bit. I think this is simply a configuration problem I always seem to have with CUPS.

I certainly appreciate the work being done to make LM the popular distribution it is. Seems like everyone is getting what they want with Cinnamon and now the KDE edition.

gmouzo
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by gmouzo »

DeMus wrote: Another problem is still the samba and/or NFS connections to my other computers. When the other computers are one everything works great, I can read and write on network drives as I please, but as soon as one of them is switched off, the problems start: Dolphin, KDE-menu and also other programs hang. Somehow they try to look in the network drives but since they are no longer available the programs just keep waiting and trying to make contact. I can then switch off the computer with the main power button and start allover again. I filed a bug but it seems not much is done about that. I don't see any news about it, although I have written a couple of times on the webpage with the report.

Find any solution for this problem ?

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by DeMus »

gmouzo wrote:
DeMus wrote: Another problem is still the samba and/or NFS connections to my other computers. When the other computers are one everything works great, I can read and write on network drives as I please, but as soon as one of them is switched off, the problems start: Dolphin, KDE-menu and also other programs hang. Somehow they try to look in the network drives but since they are no longer available the programs just keep waiting and trying to make contact. I can then switch off the computer with the main power button and start allover again. I filed a bug but it seems not much is done about that. I don't see any news about it, although I have written a couple of times on the webpage with the report.

Find any solution for this problem ?
No, not yet.It is so strange because when I was still using Gnome versions of Ubuntu and later Mint I had no problem whatsoever. The problems started when I skipped to KDE when the Gnome guys killed Gnome.
I use the same smb.conf file and I use the same way of adding network discs into fstab. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that for KDE there is a different way of sharing and using network-drives? Is there a manual somewhere I should read? I would expect that networking works the same in KDE as in Gnome.
Who can help me with this?

gmouzo
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE RC first impressions

Post by gmouzo »

DeMus wrote:
gmouzo wrote:
DeMus wrote: Another problem is still the samba and/or NFS connections to my other computers. When the other computers are one everything works great, I can read and write on network drives as I please, but as soon as one of them is switched off, the problems start: Dolphin, KDE-menu and also other programs hang. Somehow they try to look in the network drives but since they are no longer available the programs just keep waiting and trying to make contact. I can then switch off the computer with the main power button and start allover again. I filed a bug but it seems not much is done about that. I don't see any news about it, although I have written a couple of times on the webpage with the report.

Find any solution for this problem ?
No, not yet.It is so strange because when I was still using Gnome versions of Ubuntu and later Mint I had no problem whatsoever. The problems started when I skipped to KDE when the Gnome guys killed Gnome.
I use the same smb.conf file and I use the same way of adding network discs into fstab. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that for KDE there is a different way of sharing and using network-drives? Is there a manual somewhere I should read? I would expect that networking works the same in KDE as in Gnome.
Who can help me with this?


You can see here http://www.lamolabs.org/blog/6000/one-l ... edorarhel/
work for me

Post Reply

Return to “KDE”