Update Manager Hangs

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
castletonia
Level 1
Level 1

Update Manager Hangs

Post by castletonia »

Ok so I installed Mint 12 KDE RC and for the most part it has been good. My biggest problem is that the update manager hangs all of the time and I have to go into the system monitor and end process to close it. If I uninstall the update manager and then reinstall it it works fine until I reboot the computer and same problem. I have been doing updates via terminal but would like to know if anyone else is having the same problem or just me.

Also, this is my first time trying KDE as I have been using Mint 11 LXDE and Mint 10 Main edition. I have two other questions. First, how do I get the NumLock enabled on boot? Second, my iPOD is not recognized in the file manager like it is in the other Mint editions. How do I safely eject or unmount it as it does not show up on the desktop like in Mint 12 main edition or in the file manager like LXDE.

I appreciate any help and I apologize if I missed an easy fix here.
Lophiomys
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Update Manager Hangs

Post by Lophiomys »

A similar problem here:

Fresh install of Mint KDE 12, English language.
After reboot, the icon of the Update Manager the Task Bar shows 336 Updates, right mouse click "Install" , some *.py program hangs.
Even after forcefully terminating (proggy not reacting) it, its window stays on screen. Rebooting (like in Windows!)
direkt "Install" via Update Manager Icon in Task Bar, waiting for 12h is not a resolution either.

Running Synaptics shows ZERO updates before and after a refresh!?

So I tried closing the "Update Manager" in the Task Bar, then open its window from the System Menu,
and now it showed a list of updates, and even started downloading package files after pressing "Install Updates".

So Long
Lophiomys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lophiomys »

The Update Manager did update once successfully.
Now it hangs on a blank window after package download.
Thats a real showstopper.
wiugrad2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiugrad2010 »

I just recently installed Mint 12 KDE and I am getting the same problem. After a fresh install there were numerous updates, so I started the update manager to do the updates. After the update manager hung, I also tried closing it with no success. I had to restart the computer. I then thought maybe just updating through command line and that would fix the problem. NOPE. mintupdate.py still hangs and will not close besides on a restart. I came from Main Edition, so I am used to using the provided mintupdate program. This is not a good start to my KDE experience. Anyone find a solution to this?
wiugrad2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiugrad2010 »

I am very surprised nobody has found a solution. Clem, Vince, anyone? This is an integral part of the 'ease of use' Mint has always accomplished. Surely there is a solution. I am no so noob that I cant run the update in the command line, but I guess I have just become accustomed to the update manager working in GNOME.
claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by claudecat »

When I first updated Mint 12 KDE, the first thing it did was update the mintupdate itself, then restarted it after that. It all worked for me. I'd try opening Synaptic and search for mintupdate, update just that one package and then try it again.
wiugrad2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiugrad2010 »

claudecat wrote:When I first updated Mint 12 KDE, the first thing it did was update the mintupdate itself, then restarted it after that. It all worked for me. I'd try opening Synaptic and search for mintupdate, update just that one package and then try it again.
Well, I used Konsole and the apt-get update/upgrade commands right away so I ended up installing all updates in one lump some. But, your method gave me and idea. This worked for me but I can not guarantee it will work for everyone. I opened up Synaptic, found mintupdate, and then marked for re-installation. After the re-installation, I rebooted and low and behold, MintUpdate did not freeze on me. So, for anyone still having problems, just mark mintupdate for re-installation and it should solve your problem. Hopefully.
Lophiomys
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lophiomys »

In another thread it was suggested to
- deinstall Mint Update Manger(I chose to deinstall Mint Software Manager too) and
- install the KDE packet manager MUON using Synaptics.
That worked out for me. Muon is great.

Thanks.
wiugrad2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiugrad2010 »

I have heard of a lot of problems with muon freezing on updates. I am sticking with synaptic for now since I was able to get mintupdate to work properly. But every computer and user has different experiences.
zero-sum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zero-sum »

FWIW, I'm having a similar problem with Synaptic. I wonder if Update Manger, Synaptic and APT are all involved. In my case I was trying to do a simple download of some Windows fonts and Synaptic froze at an EULA screen as shown here -

http://wsrl.org/x-img/synap-1.png

It's very repeateble here. I sure don't need the EULA because I've had the fonts and many more for many years. I just wanted to see where Synaptic would put them in Mint. Only a reboot will clear out Synaptic but other apps are not affected.
nico
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nico »

To answer OK on 'EULA' screen all you have to do is to use Tab button on your keyboard

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1868888

Easy but not foreseeable :?

Return to “KDE”