Some KDE noob questions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kevin108

Some KDE noob questions

Post by Kevin108 »

Just installed Mint 12 KDE. I've never liked any of the other KDE 4 distros I've checked out but, as usual, the Mint team seems able to make everything better. I know basically nothing about KDE but I'd like to learn, especially as well as the KDE version of Mint 12 seems to be working.

First three questions, with more to come later:

What can I do with the transparent "This folder is empty." on my desktop?

Can I move the "New Activity" button?

Can I change the theme or window borders?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lendo

Re: Some KDE noob questions

Post by Lendo »

I think the "This folder is empty" adds recently used stuff in it. You can shrink it or get rid of it I believe. I've only ever tested Mint KDE in a virtual box.
il_marcello

Post by il_marcello »

Kevin108 wrote:Just installed Mint 12 KDE. I've never liked any of the other KDE 4 distros I've checked out but, as usual, the Mint team seems able to make everything better. I know basically nothing about KDE but I'd like to learn, especially as well as the KDE version of Mint 12 seems to be working.

First three questions, with more to come later:

What can I do with the transparent "This folder is empty." on my desktop?
What you are referring to is a widget called "Folder View". It is a "viewer" for any folder on your filesystem. By default it points to your desktop folder.
In KDE, to avoid clutter on your desktop, icons are not shown as in traditional desktop environments such as gnome and in other OS' such as Windows and Macosx - hence this widget.

You can make it point to any folder you wish by hovering on it with the mouse and selecting the wrench icon that pops up on one side of the widget. You can also remove it completely by clicking on the X in the same popup. If you want to restore it at a later time just right click on the desktop, select "add widgets" and navigate to "Folder View".
Can I move the "New Activity" button?
I'm not sure about this, as the button is not there in my Mint 12 KDE.
Can I change the theme or window borders?
Start menu --> system settings --> Application appearance should be what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Marcello
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

It's also possible to use a traditional desktop without the widget but I don't remember exactly how to do it.
nico

Post by nico »

Nice tutorial, andromeda :wink:
Anyway it's written in italian , i am afraid not everyone would fully understand our language :?
so there's another link useful for all worldwide noobs and not :

http://userbase.kde.org/System_Settings
strangeland

Post by strangeland »

I was able to hide the "New Activity" button, referred to as "cashew" by installing PyCashew.
Just pull up that widget menu on the bottom, and you can download a widget called PyCashew that hides the Cashew/New Activity button in the upper right hand corner of your Mint KDE desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”