http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... mments-bar

How will this affect Mint KDE (or not)?
Sysinfo:
Mint 19.1
HP 250 G2 Notebook
Intel i3-3110M 2.40GHz/4 Gig RAM
Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Def Audio Controller
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Netwk Adapter (rev 01)

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Canonical ends Kubuntu support?

Post by JordanV0712 »

Well this is quite concerning since I believe the Mint KDE ppas are essentially the same as Kubuntu's... Well hopefully Clem puts KDE ontop of Debian like was stated earlier!
Linux Mint 12 KDE

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Canonical goes from one bad decision to another lately. But it doesn't surprise me. Sort of leaves both Mint KDE and Netrunner out to dry. They should just pool their resources and make an awesome Debian KDE release IMO. I continue to worry for all those who bet so much, and rely so much on Ubuntu. Mint going Debian was brilliant.
KBD47

JoeInMN
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JoeInMN »

KBD47 wrote:Canonical goes from one bad decision to another lately. But it doesn't surprise me. Sort of leaves both Mint KDE and Netrunner out to dry. They should just pool their resources and make an awesome Debian KDE release IMO. I continue to worry for all those who bet so much, and rely so much on Ubuntu. Mint going Debian was brilliant.
KBD47
Canonical built Ubuntu on top of Debian. It it at all conceivable that Mint and its allies could take the same route, and someday produce a Debian-based distro that is as average-user-friendly as Mint Main is now, without the Ubuntu middleman? I imagine it would be a pretty major project. I went to LMDE for a month or two; from what I ran into with that, I don't think it's really in that niche, at least not yet.

KDE is by far my favorite desktop to use, and I use developer PPAs rather a lot, so Mint Main KDE is most likely the ideal distro for me. It's actually all irrelevant to me at present, because the only computer I have access to is my little netbook. KDE runs fine on it, but is a bit of a battery drainer, so I'm running Mint12/XFCE/Cairo-dock. But I'll be back to my desktop machine some day, and this action is only making me even more annoyed with Canonical than I've been lately. The developer in the Ars article framed it as a commercial decision, which is what Canonical is all about, I guess.
Sysinfo:
Mint 19.1
HP 250 G2 Notebook
Intel i3-3110M 2.40GHz/4 Gig RAM
Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Def Audio Controller
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Netwk Adapter (rev 01)

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JordanV0712 »

KBD47 wrote:Canonical goes from one bad decision to another lately. But it doesn't surprise me. Sort of leaves both Mint KDE and Netrunner out to dry. They should just pool their resources and make an awesome Debian KDE release IMO. I continue to worry for all those who bet so much, and rely so much on Ubuntu. Mint going Debian was brilliant.
KBD47
Well I can't really blame them from a business point of view. Canonical is a business remember. If they need to cut expensives for their own benefit, they are perfectly entitled too...
Linux Mint 12 KDE

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

KDE is a mature and polished desktop, but it is resource hungry. I've done some tweaks using suggestions here: Improve KDE performance:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... tu+support
Just yesterday I installed KDE Standard desktop onto my LMDX install on my netbook and it is running both faster and lighter than KDE ever has before with using the tweaks in the article, I especially think turning off the effects helped. It was running 65c and now 48c so temp definitely improved.
I'm not sure what to think of Ubuntu anymore, they seem to me a ship bragging about how great they are and all the time headed for an iceburg.
KBD47

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

JordanV0712 wrote: Well I can't really blame them from a business point of view. Canonical is a business remember. If they need to cut expensives for their own benefit, they are perfectly entitled too...
Yes, they are a business, which makes the cynic in me think they are more affected by this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/201 ... garden.ars
than the fact KDE has not 'made it' over the years and they need to reapply resources.
KBD47

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

While I'm not trying to impair any of the momentum behind a Debian-based Linux Mint KDE, I will say that I don't think Canonical's decision will kill Kubuntu. Yes, it will certainly change things, as disappearing funding will always change the landscape of any endeavor, but I don't see it as the end of Kubuntu. But in my mind, it does give more validity to a LMDE KDE.

Joe

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:Yes, they are a business, which makes the cynic in me think they are more affected by this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/201 ... garden.ars
than the fact KDE has not 'made it' over the years and they need to reapply resources.
KBD47, I saw your similar post over at the Ubuntu forums, but I still don't understand why you think this has anything to do with Ubuntu's decision about Kubuntu funding.

Anyway... Ubuntu Studio, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, none of those are funded by Ubuntu, isn't that correct? But they all seem to be doing okay. I figure Kubuntu will be fine, too.

Arran
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Arran »

JordanV0712 wrote:Well I can't really blame them from a business point of view. Canonical is a business remember. If they need to cut expensives for their own benefit, they are perfectly entitled too...
I agree. But then, the user can also not be blamed if he puts his back onto a greedy business and changes his distro. With a superb Mint KDE based directly on Debian (without any commercial Ubuntu relations) would be in the pole position of winning new users. In fife years it might well be on position 1 of Linux distros.

I am very happy with my own KDE-Version of LMDE.
Best greetings from Scotlands nicest Holiday Isle
Arran

OS: Mint xfce, Graphic: Nvidia 4800-GS, Monitor: HP ZR30w (2550x1600 px), «Broadband» Ø 50kib/sec!!!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa wrote:
KBD47, I saw your similar post over at the Ubuntu forums, but I still don't understand why you think this has anything to do with Ubuntu's decision about Kubuntu funding.

Anyway... Ubuntu Studio, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, none of those are funded by Ubuntu, isn't that correct? But they all seem to be doing okay. I figure Kubuntu will be fine, too.
Ubuntu brought up the idea that Kubuntu has not been a business success. That was their excuse for dropping Kubuntu. They also have made very clear that they want the tablet, smart phone, and now TV market for Ubuntu, but it is KDE that is making its way onto the tablet. Like I said, maybe it is the cynic in me, but Canonical appears to be pushing Unity at all costs, and they obviously are not interested in helping any other desktop or distro along the way. That is the way it looks to me.
I think Kubuntu will survive, it may even thrive without Canonical. Truly, at this point, one might be more concerned at being tied to Canonical than being free of them.
At the end of the day I don't realy care what Canonical/Ubuntu does, except that they have become the face of Linux for many people, and the seem to be making a lot of bad choices lately.
KBD47

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:Ubuntu brought up the idea that Kubuntu has not been a business success. That was their excuse for dropping Kubuntu. They also have made very clear that they want the tablet, smart phone, and now TV market for Ubuntu, but it is KDE that is making its way onto the tablet. Like I said, maybe it is the cynic in me, but Canonical appears to be pushing Unity at all costs, and they obviously are not interested in helping any other desktop or distro along the way. That is the way it looks to me.
Interesting way of looking at it. It would be quite petty of Canonical to be looking at things that way. "We don't want Kubuntu to get ahead of us in tablet market." Well, it's a theory, I guess.
KBD47 wrote:At the end of the day I don't realy care what Canonical/Ubuntu does, except that they have become the face of Linux for many people, and the seem to be making a lot of bad choices lately.
They sure have a way of getting everyone's attention, don't they? Seems like everybody watches Canonical, and everybody's standing at the ready to criticize any move they make. Or is it just me who feels that way?

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Overreacting. It just means Kubuntu's one (1) Canonical-paid developer will be reassigned to other work on the main edition. There are still many other developers working on Kubuntu. I doubt the change will be even noticeable.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

bimsebasse wrote:Overreacting. It just means Kubuntu's one (1) Canonical-paid developer will be reassigned to other work on the main edition. There are still many other developers working on Kubuntu. I doubt the change will be even noticeable.
I think there may be a difference. Look at Xubuntu and Lubuntu. Xubuntu will only be a 3 year LTS. Lubuntu will not even be an LTS. I understand that both cases are because they just don't have the support, the Lubuntu dev made that very clear. Out of the other 'buntus' only Kubuntu is set to be a 5 year LTS. Now I don't know exactly how much work the guy did on the distro, but what I'm noticing is that often only a few guys do most of the work, so it could be significant. Time will tell.
KBD47

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa if I'm cynical about Ubuntu/Canonical it is because I think I have reason to be. Despite what many in the community wanted Canonical is taking Ubuntu over the cliff chasing Tablets and trying to push Unity on people. It has left the community behind. I see dropping Kubuntu as yet another step in that direction--pushing Unity and not caring about the community. It is their money and they have a right to do what they want with it, they just should not pretend that they are in any way community-driven. What really stuns me is how much money they are going to waste on Unity, while dropping support for a usable distro like Kubuntu. But it's their money to waste.
KBD47

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47, at the end of the day you don't care what Canonical/Ubuntu does, right? :wink:

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa wrote:KBD47, at the end of the day you don't care what Canonical/Ubuntu does, right? :wink:
No, at the end of the day what they do is not likely to affect me much. But I comprehend that it may affect others. There are kids in third world countries that use Kubuntu based distros:
http://lwn.net/Articles/455972/
And there are others who switched from the madness of Unity to Kubuntu. So the change could very well affect them. But I'm of the opinion that in the end, maybe another 5 years or so, there may be no Ubuntu to speak of, they will likely drive themselves out of business with their crazy choices and some other distro will take over, probably Mint :-)
KBD47

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Anyway, none of this affects me, as far as I can tell. I always liked Kubuntu, but after awhile, I decided to simply install KDE in Ubuntu if I wanted to. Haven't done a Kubuntu installation since.

My only concern about Ubuntu and its derivatives is how well they work out here. The politics and business decisions don't matter all that much to me; if I like using the distro, I'll use it. If not, I won't. That's pretty much it. Canonical can do what they want to do -- why even complain about it? I guess that's what I don't get. Because they're "the face of Linux?" To some people, maybe, but not to me.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:But I'm of the opinion that in the end, maybe another 5 years or so, there may be no Ubuntu to speak of, they will likely drive themselves out of business with their crazy choices and some other distro will take over, probably Mint :-)
:lol:

That could very well come to pass!

I'm sure that Debian will still be there, though.

Of course, if Ubuntu ceased to exist, Mint would have to be completely Debian-based, right? That would be an interesting development. If that were the case, how popular would Mint be? Some people prefer LMDE, but it seems that a lot of people don't. Perhaps it's in Linux Mint's best interests that Ubuntu prospers?

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa think about how boring it would be if Ubuntu/Canonical wasn't always pulling some stunt to give us something to discuss :wink:

Return to “KDE”