Too many updates for a fresh release?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Too many updates for a fresh release?

Post by claudecat »

I just installed Mint 12 KDE 64, and was alarmed at the fact that hundreds of packages need to be upgraded. This was released a few days ago! 380mb of updates for an os this new seems excessive... What's worse is that if you try to update using Synaptic rather than the notifier, you'll see that it wants to uninstall dozens of seemingly important things. It appears that you could really mess up an install if updated that way. I decided to leave it alone for now, as my bandwidth cap is an issue. I know the developers have been working on this for a long time, but still...seems like it could be somewhat more up-to-date.
vaxxipooh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Too many updates for a fresh release?

Post by vaxxipooh »

claudecat wrote: I know the developers have been working on this for a long time, but still...seems like it could be somewhat more up-to-date.
Hmm .. it seems to me that every new release of KDE based "Ubuntu" its gone worse, i guess the developers dont put much effort to it to be an really nice KDE distro anymore and thats sad - I run Mint 10 "Julia" KDE with upgraded KDE to 4.6.2 and it runs flawless here and i will stick to it as long as i can . . . I dont think i will upgrade to Mint 12 KDE or for that any "Ubuntu" based distro - when i feel i need to upgrade my OS i probably go for Slackware ...
~.: Vaxxipooh :.~
Gunnarn, Sweden
http://kahli.dmz.se

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy ...
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

@ claudecat
LM 12 is my first KDE desktop. You are right about a ton of update after first install. Maybe because LM 12 KDE use PPA :kubuntu repository :?:
I recognize a package like firefox, thunderbird, libre office have a big megabytes download. But I don't think all package is needed to update, like 89 MB KDE wallpaper .
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

That's one thing about Linux updates I have never cared for. With many application and system updates, instead of just updating parts that have changed, an entire new version is installed requiring downloading huge amounts of data.
Mint Cinnamon 20
claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by claudecat »

That's one reason I like Fedora... the use of delta rpm's reduces the size of updates dramatically. openSUSE does this too. Perhaps someday apt will implement this feature...
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Debdelta support on the way for Ubuntu:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu ... o-debdelta
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

claudecat wrote:I just installed Mint 12 KDE 64, and was alarmed at the fact that hundreds of packages need to be upgraded.
Many of these "hundreds" of packages are KDE specific not Mint.. Only a few were Mint specific.

Since Mint and KDE are maintained by unrelated developers many of the updates can be released after the actual iso has been created..

Firefox, Tbird, as well as other additional software packages often release updates that are not in the iso..
claudecat wrote:This was released a few days ago! 380mb of updates for an os this new seems excessive... What's worse is that if you try to update using Synaptic rather than the notifier, you'll see that it wants to uninstall dozens of seemingly important things. It appears that you could really mess up an install if updated that way. I decided to leave it alone for now, as my bandwidth cap is an issue. I know the developers have been working on this for a long time, but still...seems like it could be somewhat more up-to-date.
Again a lot of that 380MB is software updates unrelated to Mint..

Mint does not develope these software packages..

Some software has to be uninstalled for the newer version to be installed since some cannot be upgrades.
Knusperkeks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knusperkeks »

I agree with the updates.....even they are KDE updates. The wallpaper thing made me crazy.....(90MB) Im sitting behind a VPN(mainland china) and I when u download 90MB of "garbage" with 80kb/s you wish that these "updates" are on the CD on release. The argument that these are KDE updates does not really count cause the KDE Version shipped with Mint 12 is "old".
claudecat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by claudecat »

Ok... I remembered that I have a Kubuntu install on my laptop and copied the contents of the /var/cache/apt/archives from there to the same location on the Mint 12 KDE install. Reduced my download size to almost nothing! After playing with it for a short while, I really like Mint 12 KDE. I had to play with the font settings a bit, but now they look fabulous! Kudos to Clem and team for the release after all.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Knusperkeks wrote:I agree with the updates.....even they are KDE updates. The wallpaper thing made me crazy.....(90MB) Im sitting behind a VPN(mainland china) and I when u download 90MB of "garbage" with 80kb/s you wish that these "updates" are on the CD on release.
Well, why then do you update this package? Within Mint's updater you can sort the updates by size and then disable package you don't need or want to be updated. Once (untick) or for all (right-click and ignore ...)
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Return to “KDE”