linux mint kde 12 crashed after kernal update 3.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ali8383

linux mint kde 12 crashed after kernal update 3.2

Post by ali8383 »

hi every body ,,,

i installed mint kde 12 32bit , but when i try to install the nvidia driver , i cannot !! :(
so i kept looking about my issue on the internet , i found here topic , same as my problem . and was the solution for it to update the kernal from 3 to 3.2 as latest update . i follow all instruction for updating from kubuntu ppa , and after reboot the pc , mint with 3.2 kernal wont work !!
it just show the unclear screen with white and unknown symbols !! this same as previous kernal 3 !! both now is now working !!

i entered recovery mode ,,, when i exit it , the terminal is shown . i made full update and also upgrade it to kde 4.8 , and still the problem wont slove :(
i waste more than 500 mb for updates :evil: and still the problem

so , please any idea how to slove it ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
claudecat

Re: linux mint kde 12 crashed after kernal update 3.2

Post by claudecat »

How did you install the nvidia driver? The correct way is via the "additional drivers" thing in your control panel. If you installed via the .run file from nvidia, that may have caused the problem, though it may work if you run nvidia-xconfig. Try uninstalling it (NVIDIA.......run --uninstall), then apt-cache -search nvidia. From memory, I believe the file you need is nvidia-glx (or close to that), and will pull in the rest you need. If none of this works, try renaming your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else and try rebooting without it.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Try the correct add other drivers from the GUI method, however a standard way of installing nvidia (a method that has been available since nvidia first offered their binary drivers: any internet search will find that information) directly from Nvidia web site is available, for those that want to run nvidia's build against their installed kernel..
http://askubuntu.com/questions/37590/nv ... e-terminal
ali8383

Post by ali8383 »

1 - i uninstall all video drivers from recovery
2- tried to install them again from recovery
3 - when loginn the system stack on kde loading
4 - un install drives again ( i tried many drivers )
5 - download the driver from nvidia official web site .run
6 - installed it ,,
7 - the driver worked and activated just in recovery mode !!
8 - normal mod is not working , just black screen appair , loading ,, then stack !!

------------------------------------------------------------
what i'm tiring to do now :D

- try to uninstall the driver (but i don't know how ??)
- try to take backup of all my updates from here : /var/cache/apt/achive/
- and more :mrgreen:

i want kde distribution based on Ubuntu , and i want it stable :? all those distributions is toooo bugy and many problems , i think that's why most of famous distributions are using gnome >>

i'll come back later :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nico

Post by nico »

This problem is common to all ubuntu-based distribution and not only . If you make a research with Google, you'll find many forums about it , one example:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... creen.html

I had the same problem updating kernel from 3.0.0-14 to 3.0.0-15.
when I rebooted the kernel wasn't able to load the graphic, so i had a black screen with no response.....all i had to do was to select old version on grub2 splash and using the old kernel ( it should keep working)
Then i downloaded the latest graphic drivers from Nvidia site , booting with new kernel (recovery mode) , installing it , and finally rebooting with new kernel having its graphics working.
Unfortunately all that didn't work for 3.2 kernel. :shock:
vaxxipooh

Post by vaxxipooh »

ali8383 wrote: so , please any idea how to slove it ?
Heyas

take a look here https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates AND here http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppas/27

it maybe get you going :-)

Hope this helps

Return to “Software & Applications”