KDE 4.8

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nat101

KDE 4.8

Post by nat101 »

Considering the new LM 12 KDE distro; Does it update to 4.8 automatically after install? If so, does it retain all the Mint 4.7 customizations?
Thanks,
nat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sam Poison Oak

Re: KDE 4.8

Post by Sam Poison Oak »

I'm having the same question:
Is it safe to update to KDE 4.8 using the kubuntu backports?
I must say that on my previous Mint12(Main) I'd installed kde 4.8 and the audio gone broke and hdaintel dissapeared from hardware selection on phonon :S Maybe that's the reason why it doesnt appears anymore on phonon, even with a fresh-clean install or using an Precise Pangolyn live usb.
colyn

Post by colyn »

You have to enable Kubuntu backports..

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

sudo apt-get update
then open update manager and it will list the updates which you can then install..

Customizations should be retained..
Knusperkeks

Post by Knusperkeks »

Install 4.8, i absulute recommend it. I was always a critic of the KDE update policy (adding n functions instead of making things work)...the last updates are different and KDE 4.8 focuses on some small things which make the KDE experience just better.
Im running 4.8....and it does what i expect...it just runs smooth. till now not 1 crash lightning fast and it seems that some nasty bugs (kwin memory problem etc) have been fixed.
ivarth

Post by ivarth »

Same here, I installed Mint 12 with KDE 4.7.4 (or whatever it was), updated to 4.8 and everything is running smooth!
canobi

Post by canobi »

Have you guys lost any packages with the update process as described in this thread? Update manager is informing me that I will lose mint-welcome and some other stuff, and that it will install kde-oxygen additionally to what is currently on the system. That kind of worries me, and I'm not in the clear about what's the official plan for KDE updates in Mint KDE. Are they planned to be provided strictly through kubuntu backports, or will Mint be working on their own customizations for 4.8 (and later version), and release them through standard update sources? I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to 4.8 if there will be an "official" Mint release, so if anyone has more info on this I'd appreciate it.
nat101

Post by nat101 »

Thank you Colyn. Smooth 4.8 upgrade.

And Canobi, I still have Mint Welcome. Other than that, since I know little of KDE 4.x series, I wouldn't really know specifics. But I wanted 4.8 because I read that finally it is stable & workable.

nat
Sam Poison Oak

Post by Sam Poison Oak »

Well... one more quiz! using the backports will add a kubuntu session on the login screen beside the plasma workspace or is it updating the actual wokspace and not showing any other session?
Knusperkeks

Post by Knusperkeks »

Sam Poison Oak wrote:Well... one more quiz! using the backports will add a kubuntu session on the login screen beside the plasma workspace or is it updating the actual wokspace and not showing any other session?
No...just the KDE files get updated nothing else changes. Their will be no different sessions added to the Login Screen.
Sam Poison Oak

Post by Sam Poison Oak »

Is adding the backports the safe way to do the update using mintupdate? No matter they're on level 3? Should I wait till'em reach level 2?
ivarth

Post by ivarth »

Sam Poison Oak wrote:Is adding the backports the safe way to do the update using mintupdate? No matter they're on level 3? Should I wait till'em reach level 2?
I haven't had any problems with Level3 updates so far.
mads

Post by mads »

colyn wrote:You have to enable Kubuntu backports..

sudo apt-get update
then open update manager and it will list the updates which you can then install..

I am writing this from KDE 4.8. Everything works fine. Thank you colyn. :)
okie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Post by okie2003 »

I was just wondering if anyone using KDE 4.8 is using KMail and, if so, how is it working?
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
Dell Latitude E6510; i7-620M 2.67; 4GB RAM; 1920x1080, nvidia NVS3100M
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Once Linux Mint offers 4.8, will the Kubuntu backport be necessary? Will it matter whether that ppa is active after that time, or not?

I have never used, nor am I familiar with how backports are used, so any info will be beneficial...

Hawkeye
mads

Post by mads »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:Once Linux Mint offers 4.8, will the Kubuntu backport be necessary? Will it matter whether that ppa is active after that time, or not?

I have never used, nor am I familiar with how backports are used, so any info will be beneficial...

Hawkeye
Hi Hawkeye. I had almost the same questions in my mind. So I did some research and came to these answers. Hope it makes sense. :)

- there will never be a major offer to upgrade to 4.8, only minor updates in 4.7 series
- to upgrade to 4.8 kubuntu backports need to be added
- after upgrading kubuntu backports should not be removed
Arran

Post by Arran »

mads wrote:- after upgrading kubuntu backports should not be removed
Correct. However, after the Installation I have outcommented these sources and will just run them once a month. Otherwise your risk to break a dependency on any of the installed applications.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

I had a problem with OpenGL crashing KWin (or something) all the time after installing Mint 12 KDE, but after adding Kubuntu backports and updating to 4.8 everything's been working fine.
k4ever

Post by k4ever »

Matti L wrote:I had a problem with OpenGL crashing KWin (or something) all the time after installing Mint 12 KDE, but after adding Kubuntu backports and updating to 4.8 everything's been working fine.
I'm having an opposite issue. After install KDE 4.8, OpenGL stopped working with KWin. It works for everything else (games, cairo-dock, etc) but with KWin I have to use XRender, which doesn't give me all of the effects.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

I have the backports option checked inside of the Mint version of Software Sources. I also have the option enabled via the Software Sources option in the Muon Software Center. I am still at 4.7.4. Does it not use the same backports PPA as Kubuntu?
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

Did you do this?
colyn wrote:You have to enable Kubuntu backports..

sudo apt-get update

Return to “Software & Applications”