Adapting 2 debs for Mint kde

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Adapting 2 debs for Mint kde

Post by helios »

Have been using kde Mint since 3.0 and I want to congratulate you folks on a fine release. My clients and customers get this distro 90 percent of the time so I do hope that equates to donations and help for your fine effort.

There are two debs I need help with. One of the most popular styles in my repertoire is metal4kde. It is available in rpm format and the guys over at Mepis have rolled it to work with 7.0. Alien will do the conversion but it while it shows up in all the appropriate folders and files, it is AWOL from the styles menu in the KDE Themes Manager and I can't get it to work. I have made a link for it because the file upload limits for this site are too small.

http://www.lobby4linux.com/debs/metal4kde_0.2_i386.deb

It is a remarkable style and I don't see why pclinuxos should be the only distro out there to have it. I have had other community members state that baghira was designed to take this style's place, but it does so poorly and doesn't come close to the sharp and beautiful metal look that metal4kde brings to the desktop. I just tried to attach a screenshot of what it looks like installed on kde but if I reduce it down any more to meet the restrictions of the forums, you won't be able to see it. You can see it clearly here. http://www.lobby4linux.com/images/metalshot.png Any help with in getting this rolled into a mint deb would be greatly appreciated.

As well, there is a fantastic new mouse tool/gui that I saw demonstrated earlier today on a friend's computer but unfortunately, the deb for kubuntu doesn't work. I am supplying the link to that article/file so you can see just how cool this gui hack is. People with exotic pointers or a mouse will appreciate the work that has gone into helping the Linux user who has struggled to map his mouse buttons. http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/

thanks

helios
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Adapting 2 debs for Mint kde

Post by Boo »

thanks for post, I will look into it for mint KDE 5.
I may be able to get it into the romeo repo before then though.

If you are a big KDE user please post any other KDE apps, themes... that you think would be useful to all.

I am thinking of adding more apps in mint kde 5 that I use regularly but more importantly the ones my dad uses.

I am not a general desktop user so I need all the help i can get that is not cli based. :)

Cheers
Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by helios »

Hey Boo,

I will be glad to help with this. We do all of our work in KDE and every computer we build and put out is kde based. That's why I am happy to see KDE for mint maturing. It is the distro of choice for both our business and the hundreds of installs and computers we put out every year. you can see a bit of what we do at http://www.fixedbylinux.com/about to get a better idea of our mission.

I do have some fairly simple suggestions for apps and we can continue by email if you like. you can reach me at helios at fixedbylinux dot komm

looking forward to working with you.

Ken
helios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by helios »

OK...let's talk about some kdeartwork for Mint. While I enjoy and applaud the work done at PCLinuxOS, there are just too many applications I cannot get to work there. Most people are happy with the repos they offer and for the most part, they will suffice for most...but as much as I need to demonstrate the outer limits of a kde distro, it can't give me what I need. On the other hand, they have some stunning artwork/decos/themes available in thier repositories. Of particular interest for us should be the domino/dekorator artwork. As of last check, neither of these were available in the default repos and having learned about mixing repositories, I do not enable any but what is given for that distro...that is on my production machines. The test machines are another story.

Of particular interest to y customers is the cylonminimal windec. Now I have tried to make make/install after ./configure and with minimal exception, they all fail every time. I mentioned a style called metal4kde. This in itself is a striking style and I would love to see it iin our repos. I have linked to it in an above-post. The list of available kdeartwork in pclinuxos is in rpm from at http://spout.ussg.indiana.edu/linux/pcl ... /RPMS.kde/

You can scroll down and see most of everything cool they have in morekdeartwork. I don't suggest we model our look from them...I am just suggesting they have about the most complete eye candy offerings I've seen.

h

Return to “Software & Applications”