Just one desktop?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tam
Level 1
Level 1

Just one desktop?

Post by tam »

Hi, first time user of Mint, but a long time user of Linux and KDE.

Going okay so far, only three annoinces so far...

Not setting up a root user account during install. Not a lover of sudo, would rather su on the terminal.
After installation system failed to complete shutdown, restart and or logout and just hung requiring power button forced shutdowns. That has not happened today. Hopefully it was just a blip. Will wait and see.

Most annoying is that on the taskbar I only have one desktop. Now I went to increase the number of virtual desktops but the option to do so is not where I expected it to be and I cant find the option anywhere. Help appreciated.

Final annoyance, I hate the colour green :)
vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Just one desktop?

Post by vanDoom »

It took me a while to figure out to use 'sudo su' to get full root :wink:
tam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tam »

vanDoom wrote:It took me a while to figure out to use 'sudo su' to get full root :wink:
I can work with sudo as is for now, will remember the tip though. :mrgreen:

How do I configure more than one desktop though on the taskbar?
vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vanDoom »

I think the KDE has the multi-colored dots next to the menu, which opens the activities pane. In the top right of the pane, you can say 'new activity' > 'empty desktop'. There could be an extension for this, but otherwise this is the new normal. I started using MATE, a gnome2 fork, which seems to have all the classic comforts of home, if your interested.
bluheron1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluheron1 »

If you go to the menu and open system settings, then open workspace behaviour, you can set up virtual desktops. I have kde 4.8 installed and this works fine.
Enjoying this new kde, think I've given up on gnome, can't figure out how to get past fallback mode.

Return to “KDE”