Sleep mode when closing lid. LM12KDE.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
niuginibenz

Sleep mode when closing lid. LM12KDE.

Post by niuginibenz »

I am totally impressed with the KDE version of Mint 12 in all respects except one. This small problem is far from a showstopper but a little annoying. I have a Samsung RF411 laptop and have set the system to go into sleep mode when I close the lid. It seems like it works - the "sleep chime" is played BUT it does not go the whole way. I need to lift the lid again for a second and close it again. Then it does it properly.
If I forget to lift the lid again before packing it away in my bag I will end up with a flat battery and/or possibly overheated computer. Anyone else had this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rayek

Re: Sleep mode when closing lid. LM12KDE.

Post by Rayek »

Just realized something similar happening to me, too. I know It was working, and it isn't now for some reason, but there is no way I shut it off myself, I had messed with the Power Management Profiles a little bit, it had stopped suspending, reset those back to the defaults, and it's still not working properly.

Edit: I just did a small experiment, changing the power settings to "Lock Screen" when the lid closes. Applied the settings, closed the lid, and nothing, no locked screen. The screen is turning off, just no "you've closed the lid" sound or anything else.
cespinal

Post by cespinal »

Question: did you upgrade to KDE 4.8?

There is a known, annoying bug in 4.8 that is causing this problem. What is happening is that for some reason, developers gave some applications priority to decide over power devil. This means power devil sends the signal to suspend to RAM (or disk) but some applications running in the background don't allow this to happen. Developers though this would be a good idea but it seemed to have backfired...

A solution to this bug has been pushed into 4.8.1 which will be released today. The solution will be an option in power devil which will allow you to decide which sort of behaviour you want from the system when managing these events.

I loved 4.8, but the power devil thingy kept bugging me... I will try to update to 4.8.1 if they release it D:
cespinal

Post by cespinal »

Question: did you upgrade to KDE 4.8?

There is a known, annoying bug in 4.8 that is causing this problem. What is happening is that for some reason, developers gave some applications priority to decide over power devil. This means power devil sends the signal to suspend to RAM (or disk) but some applications running in the background don't allow this to happen. Developers though this would be a good idea but it seemed to have backfired...

A solution to this bug has been pushed into 4.8.1 which will be released today. The solution will be an option in power devil which will allow you to decide which sort of behaviour you want from the system when managing these events.

I loved 4.8, but the power devil thingy kept bugging me... I will try to update to 4.8.1 if they release it D:

Return to “Software & Applications”