Problem creating / logging into user accounts

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
j.emerson
Level 1
Level 1

Problem creating / logging into user accounts

Post by j.emerson »

I just did a install of Linux mint 12 kde ( 32 bit ) on a new computer and everything seemed to work normally . I have no problems logging in with the account that was created during the install , but when anyone else tries to login to the accounts I created for them a prompt appears and tells them they must change their password (root enforced) but it will not let them enter anything into the password and verification prompt . Has anyone else run into this?

ausminter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem creating / logging into user accounts

Post by ausminter »

j.emerson wrote:I just did a install of Linux mint 12 kde ( 32 bit ) on a new computer and everything seemed to work normally . I have no problems logging in with the account that was created during the install , but when anyone else tries to login to the accounts I created for them a prompt appears and tells them they must change their password (root enforced) but it will not let them enter anything into the password and verification prompt . Has anyone else run into this?
Me too
I've just installed the 64 bit KDE and I have the same problem.
The dialogue box won't take any input, so the accounts are useless.

I don't want to use the same user account for credit card transactions as my wife uses for for facebook and other dubious sites that steal all your details through cookies and LSO's

If I can't get this fixed I'll have to install something else, this is useless to me like this.

ausminter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem creating / logging into user accounts

Post by ausminter »

I've just deleted my KDE installation and reverted back to that annoying gnome thing, the only thing KDE did reliably for me was crash. I haven't wasted that much time or effort on a faulty linux distro since fedora first started. :evil:

Anyway I installed virtual box and I gave KDE a run as virtual machine. It does the same thing where the dialogue box won't accept any input from the keyboard when trying to log in as secondary user for the first time.

I got around it by clicking the middle mouse button twice in each field of the Faulty dialogue box, which inserted 4 dots/hashes per click. It needed to be clicked twice in each field to fulfill the minimum no. of characters for the password.
After that it logged me in and then I logged out and went back to the main account (as I hadn't giver the user any privileges when I set the account up) and changed the password from the user management section under system settings.
What a load of BS that was. :evil:

Given the date you posted your thread and the date I downloaded my iso was the same I'd suspect there has been some recent changes made that weren't tested properly.
Plenty of others are raving about the distro and have had no such dramas, so I must suspect some recent meddling as this problem would have come up before.

Return to “KDE”