[Solved] Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint KDE 13 Release ?

Post by KBD47 »

Kubuntu 12.04 is working perfectly for me. I've never been this impressed with KDE before. I have tweaked it a bit and it is running as fast as Xfce and temp is cool on my netbook. I think now that Mint has teamed up with netrunner they should shift focus to KDE as their default distro, and make gnome their second or follow up distro, give Cinnamon time to mature and get to the point it runs well on all hardware and has more features/functions. KDE is already there IMO. And for LMDE, same thing, KDE based and built on the new Debian Stable at the first of the new year.
kbd47
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Yeeaaaahhh!! Mint 13 KDE is in testing :wink:
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

midas wrote:Yeeaaaahhh!! Mint 13 KDE is in testing :wink:
you can follow it here 8)
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/132
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Thanks for the update zerozero!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just noticed that myself. It will be great to see what Mint does with the already good Kubuntu 5-year LTS.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
tprender

Post by tprender »

tdockery97 wrote:Just noticed that myself. It will be great to see what Mint does with the already good Kubuntu 5-year LTS.
Let's just hope that the dreaded screen freeze problems that Kubuntu 12.04 has been having are not inherited in Mint. So far this hasn't happened with MInt 12 but it is a major problem with Kubuntu right now and has been that way across several kernel and driver updates.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/993187
barnac1e

Post by barnac1e »

For those inquiring about KDE 13 on Mint, it's as simple as this: Take Mint 12 and view you /etc/apt/sources.list then check your "Mint Updates" sources list. Find the difference between the two sources list and copy out the one or two from Mint's Sources list and paste them into you /etc/apt/sources.list. And change "oneiric" to "precise" through the apt list on each line and leave all other words the same. Then follow this guide exactly as it states: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm#du-st. Should something go wrong though just type apt-get clean, hit Cntl+Alt+Delete, reboot and you're back to the original Mint 12 KDE. Just fix your apt-sources back.

And you should end up with a freshed KDE Mint 13, Why all the "blah blah" about the lead developers taking so long is beyond me.

And whoever it was wherever it was stating Netrunner is the best polished Kubuntu/Ubuntu distro is WRONG. Why? Simply this: They plaster a FACEBOOK icon on the panel. I've had enough of Facebook and to see it shoved in my face by a Linux distro is nauseating.

Oh, and hopefully Mint developers will see this but can you please quit plastering you Linux Mint logo into Chromium's default search results via the navigation bar? Okay, it's bad enough to not include it as the default and premier (rightfully so) search engine, but then to have to see it in my Google search results page isn't nice. :x
barnac1e

Post by barnac1e »

barnac1e wrote:For those inquiring about KDE 13 on Mint, it's as simple as this: Take Mint 12 and view you /etc/apt/sources.list then check your "Mint Updates" sources list. Find the difference between the two sources list and copy out the one or two from Mint's Sources list and paste them into you /etc/apt/sources.list. And change "oneiric" to "precise" through the apt list on each line and leave all other words the same. Then follow this guide exactly as it states: http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm#du-st. Should something go wrong though just type apt-get clean, hit Cntl+Alt+Delete, reboot and you're back to the original Mint 12 KDE. Just fix your apt-sources back.

And you should end up with a freshed KDE Mint 13, Why all the "blah blah" about the lead developers taking so long is beyond me.

And whoever it was wherever it was stating Netrunner is the best polished Kubuntu/Ubuntu distro is WRONG. Why? Simply this: They plaster a FACEBOOK icon on the panel. I've had enough of Facebook and to see it shoved in my face by a Linux distro is nauseating.

Oh, and hopefully Mint developers will see this but can you please quit plastering you Linux Mint logo into Chromium's default search results via the navigation bar? Okay, it's bad enough to not include it as the default and premier (rightfully so) search engine, but then to have to see it in my Google search results page isn't nice. :x
Hi, I just wanted to say to anyone concerning my previous post, forgive me if I sounded harsh in the last two statements I made although on a personal level I believe them to be true. But I don't mean to "diss" Netrunner but Facebook is a serious parasite for the internet as a whole and I just have issues with a "free and opensource" distro assuming its user wants Facebook as a default panel widget. My complaint will probably fall on deaf ears.

As for Chromium, the embedded code into the Google search results is way to "Windows-like" to suit me. Maybe some fanatics are all about it but its very distracting. If I type Google.com into the browser, I expect to see just Google's page, with no annoying windows frames and insignia there from a "third party" no matter who it is (hint).

And finally, yes, that technique does work actually concerning upgrading Mint to whatever release you desire. I myself ran into a Python software problem in dpkg but I was trying to go from Julia to Maya so don't do that I guess. I think it will work from Lisa to Maya okay. You may need to type apt-get -f update if apt starts complaining about things and just keep at it. If this is too technical for a lot of you, disregard it. I don't want Clem or anyone undermined in anyway, nor do I mean to encourage a newbie to break their systems. Perhaps if you have a spare computer in the house try it on there as a test point. Things can't get much buggier with KDE these days, regardless if its Mint or Kubuntu so what can it hurt :wink:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tprender wrote:
Let's just hope that the dreaded screen freeze problems that Kubuntu 12.04 has been having are not inherited in Mint. So far this hasn't happened with MInt 12 but it is a major problem with Kubuntu right now and has been that way across several kernel and driver updates.

Yes, that bug hit my desktop computer, everything Ubuntu 12.04 and related freezes to the point of unusability for me. Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 works fine on my main computer, but definitely something to be aware of. Might be worth spending lots of time with the Mint KDE 13 release with a live dvd, or better yet, installed onto a usb stick, for several days to a week to make sure your computer doesn't have the freeze problem.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

KBD47 wrote:
tprender wrote:

Yes, that bug hit my desktop computer, everything Ubuntu 12.04 and related freezes to the point of unusability for me. Ubuntu 12.04/Mint 13 works fine on my main computer, but definitely something to be aware of. Might be worth spending lots of time with the Mint KDE 13 release with a live dvd, or better yet, installed onto a usb stick, for several days to a week to make sure your computer doesn't have the freeze problem.
Crap. I'm guessing I'll see this when I take the latest batch of updates on my Mint 12 KDE virtual machine. Thanks for making sure I was able to see to not take the updates until I hear it's resolved.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I think Ubuntu 11.10/Mint 12 is safe from this bug, something they changed in 12.04/Mint 13 is causing this issue. As far as I know it hasn't showed up and isn't a threat to the previous version.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks. I keep forgetting I'm not running the latest and greatest Kubuntu derivation on my VM. As it is I keep having to remember how Ubuntu does things since I normally work in LMDE + KDE.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

barnac1e, the first thing I did was remove the Facebook icon, so I agree with you on that to some extent, but only because I had no use for it. I haven't met a panel or dock yet I didn't remove what wasn't personally useful and add what was. But I imagine there are many, many people who might like having it there, so I don't have any reason to complain about it. I still say Netrunner is a lovely distro and one any level of user can sit down in front of and start in comfortably right away. I'm a common end user, not at all a Linux expert, so this is what I look for: usefulness, stability and appearance. I think Netrunner has all of that well-covered. I look forward to seeing what the BlueSystems team of LM KDE, Kubuntu and Netrunner can come up with together.
tprender

Post by tprender »

BostonPeng wrote:Thanks. I keep forgetting I'm not running the latest and greatest Kubuntu derivation on my VM. As it is I keep having to remember how Ubuntu does things since I normally work in LMDE + KDE.
Somebody suggested upgrading to 12.04, I would strongly warn against doing that until that bug is squashed. It is a major deal breaker on Kubuntu 12.04 at the moment.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread ... untu-12-04
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

It's bugs like that, which should have been squashed before the release, that prompted me to leave Ubuntu in the first place. Thankfully clem and co. will probably hold back the release until it's resolved, but does anyone know if it's present in the main Mint 13? I honestly don't follow the main release threads since I spend so much time in LMDE and now I wish I paid a little more attention so I know how to advise friends I'm trying to turn onto Mint.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

There is a thread about it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=103054
Seems to be affecting a lot of Mint 13 Cinnamon users, but not limited to that release.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks KBD. I was hoping to look for it once I got my morning tasks done. I'm kind of surprised that slipped through the cracks but things like this happen form time to time, especially when it's not limited to a single release.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BostonPeng wrote:Thanks KBD. I was hoping to look for it once I got my morning tasks done. I'm kind of surprised that slipped through the cracks but things like this happen form time to time, especially when it's not limited to a single release.
It is definitely a bad bug, it can freeze your computer when you first boot up, or go for hours with no problem then freeze on you, very hard to nail down.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

KBD47 wrote:It is definitely a bad bug, it can freeze your computer when you first boot up, or go for hours with no problem then freeze on you, very hard to nail down.
That explains why Mint 13 didn't get held up to get the bug fixed first. I hope the devs can figure out how to fix it, and that those of us running LMDE can avoid getting bitten by it.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

BostonPeng wrote: That explains why Mint 13 didn't get held up to get the bug fixed first. I hope the devs can figure out how to fix it, and that those of us running LMDE can avoid getting bitten by it.
I think LMDE is safe. This appears to very much be a buntu bug. I don't know what they changed between 11.10 and 12.04 but something they tweaked or added caused it. I've found it across all desktops on my desktop computer:
KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Unity, and MATE.

Return to “Software & Applications”