Sadly I'm not having fun with my Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kayeng

Sadly I'm not having fun with my Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by kayeng »

System: Host: homet-01 Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Often times when I log in, the panel is missing. Or pressing Alt-F2 (Application Finder) doesn't work. I have to reboot and try again.

And that is even after I have updated using Update Manager.

Anyone else having these issues?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sadly I'm not having fun with my Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by Hoser Rob »

WHy don't you just post an inxi -Fxz report and try to solve these issues? You may be better off creating a new threat in a support section here, not a chat one.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 am threat
You scare me. :lol:

For the rest: +1
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kayeng wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am System: Host: homet-01 Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Mod note:
Moved into XFCE forum section. Carry on...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Make a second one, so you have two of them. If the second one always comes up, then dump the old one.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
kayeng

Post by kayeng »

I have one in a desktop computer and one in a laptop computer. Both experience the same problems. I think I'll go back to cinnamon.
Thank you.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

kayeng wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 am I have one in a desktop computer and one in a laptop computer. Both experience the same problems. I think I'll go back to cinnamon.
Thank you.
Greetings! What do you mean exactly by "... go back to cinnamon"? What edition/version of Linux Mint did you install at the very beginning: cinnamon, xfce, mate? Did you install any other desktops since then? Please explain...

Cheers, m4a

PS: Please follow the above suggestion to run the "inxi -Fxz" command (sans quotes) in a terminal, then copy&paste the command's output in your next reply. Thanks.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi mint4all...the OP posted his desktop version in the title of his post...its xfce...DAMIEN
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:56 pm hi mint4all...the OP posted his desktop version in the title of his post...its xfce...DAMIEN
Yes, i read so myself; but the OP's "... go back to" suggests otherwise, thus my question (trying to establish a baseline).

Cheers, m4a
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

kayeng wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am ...
Anyone else having these issues?

Thank you.
No, in fact, I have 19 Xfce on my desktop and on my laptop and both are running fine.

When you downloaded the Mint 19 Xfce ISO to burn, did you verify the ISO as suggested on the web page?
kayeng

Post by kayeng »

mint4all wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:50 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:56 pm hi mint4all...the OP posted his desktop version in the title of his post...its xfce...DAMIEN
Yes, i read so myself; but the OP's "... go back to" suggests otherwise, thus my question (trying to establish a baseline).

Cheers, m4a
I used Linuxmint 18 cinnamon, then replaced it with Linuxmint 19 Xfce.

JerryF, I believe I did. Maybe the thumb drive is defective or maybe I dropped it on a hard suface, I don't know if that would corrupt files.
Anyway I'll just try again. Thanks!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

I would first guess a problem with 3rd party stuff. Also, I could see a bad situation possibly arising if this install has come from a major version distro upgrade(ie. 18 to 19 but then most users have no issues there so depends on many variables). But, also, if you are mixing DE's it doesn't work the best, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of this type of problem from having multiple DE's.

Xfce has been solid as a rock from at least 17 through all versions up to 19.1. In fact Clem openly says Xfce is the most stable and that says something because Cinnamon and MATE are not exactly unstable. The application finder always opens, and the panel never disappears. There's something wrong for sure.

If you want to share the inxi result(enclose in code tags please) be sure to add the -r flag in the letters. ;)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

currently using mint 19.1 cinnamon/xfce and logged into xfce. never knew about alt-F2, it fails here too but i don't use keyboard shortcuts and don't use the appfinder when the menu has the same selection

i don't quite know what the question is. xfce4-panel -r will restart the panel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

trytip wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 pm currently using mint 19.1 cinnamon/xfce and logged into xfce. never knew about alt-F2, it fails here too but i don't use keyboard shortcuts and don't use the appfinder when the menu has the same selection

Mixing desktops can produce unpredictable results....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:05 pm
trytip wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 pm currently using mint 19.1 cinnamon/xfce and logged into xfce. never knew about alt-F2, it fails here too but i don't use keyboard shortcuts and don't use the appfinder when the menu has the same selection

Mixing desktops can produce unpredictable results....
Ime, it is not uncommon that a subsequent (to the initial build) app-install hijacks one or more keyboard shortcuts. The easiest workaround is to reinstate xfce's original keyboard shortcut (Menu > Settings > Keyboard > App shortcuts tab). The appfinder has 2 shortcuts: xfce4-appfinder ==> alt+f3; xfce4-appfinder --collapsed ==> alt+f2. Worth a try to refresh those shortcuts?

Re. erratic panel behavior ... a little project of mine (see @ https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=12453 ) turned up some interesting observations. Xfce's window manager uses panel-length/-width sized "hot strips" (my term) to show panels when their hiding-option is set to "Always" or "intelligent". Usually those hot strips are aligned with the corresponding desktop/workspace border, have a thickness of the theme's window border, and the background color of the theme. Whenever the hidden panel is NOT snapped to the desktop border, the panel loses that border-aligned hot-strip trigger and is difficult to find/show. Yes, there remains a barely visible thin line (1-3 px thick) down the center of the panel, but it is hard to find esp. on a busy desktop or wallpaper. Suggestion to the OP: ensure that the erratic panel is tightly snapped/moved to the window border, and then "locked" in place.

Cheers, m4a

PS: Xfce4 has been rock-solid on all my systems, laptops & desktops, familiy's and friends'. My only gripe with Mint's xfce-spin: xfce.org's bugfixes & enhancements come down the line way too slow ...

Return to “Xfce”