Resizing windows difficult

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doug Brunelle

Resizing windows difficult

Post by Doug Brunelle »

I don't know if this also applies to other desktop editions of Linux Mint, but I'm running Mint 14 Xfce, so I'm speaking about that experience. When attempting to resize a window on the desktop, by mousing over the lower left or lower right corners of the window, there seems to be only a one or two-pixel range in which the mouse pointer changes so that I can drag and resize the window. This makes it really difficult and exacting to resize the window. This applies to the sides of the window as well. Interestingly, at the top left and right corners, there seems to be a bit more range in which the mouse pointer changes to the 'resize' mode, perhaps because of the rounded window corners on top.

Is there a way in Mint Xfce to make the windows more friendly to resizing, i.e. give more range to the mouse poiner when hovering over resizable parts of windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Resizing windows difficult

Post by jjaythomas »

The different 'themes' have diferent properties. Try other theme for the window manager. (I need a larger/bolder one because of old eyes and shaking hands :roll: ) I also make the mouse Icon bigger then default. :wink:
Also there's a way to do it using the keyboard I think. (not in Xfce right now will check on later for if need be).

J.Jay
Doug Brunelle

Post by Doug Brunelle »

Thanks, J.Jay. I'll experiment with the themes...
Doug Brunelle

Post by Doug Brunelle »

One way I found to make it easier to resize windows is to use Alt-F8, which snaps the mouse pointer to the resize position in the lower-right corner of the window. Then I can drag and resize the corner of the window. I found this in Settings/Window Manager/Keyboard tab.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

One way I found to make it easier to resize windows is to use Alt-F8, which snaps the mouse pointer to the resize position in the lower-right corner of the window. Then I can drag and resize the corner of the window. I found this in Settings/Window Manager/Keyboard tab.
Thanks thats the one (listed in preferences>window manager (keyboard tab)) I used with keyboard (I forgot where listed :oops: ) old age/memory :roll:

J.Jay

Edit P.S. after using <alt F8> can use arrow keys to resize either height or lenght and will toggle between without a subsequent <alt F8>
Badders

Post by Badders »

Doug Brunelle wrote:One way I found to make it easier to resize windows is to use Alt-F8, which snaps the mouse pointer to the resize position in the lower-right corner of the window. Then I can drag and resize the corner of the window. I found this in Settings/Window Manager/Keyboard tab.
Perfect! Thank you. I was having the same problem resizing my windows too. I prefer to have no or very minimal borders on my windows. This is much better :D

Pete.
flyingrhino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by flyingrhino »

Easiest one yet - hold ALT then drag the window edge with mouse RIGHT BUTTON
petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

Post by petedecember »

Greetings--
I have the problem resizing a window in VLC. When I open VLC the window pops up fully expanded (NOT maximized) and no matter what I do I cannot get it to return to a different size. <alt> F8 won't send the cursor to the corner to resize nor will it give me the arrow pointing to a bit of line. Anyone have any ideas?
LG Gram 17 upgraded to 2 tb SSD, dual booting Windows 10, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
Asus Zenbook UM425Q, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
flyingrhino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by flyingrhino »

Try ALT-SPACE and see if a menu comes up.
Then you'll get some resizing options.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

petedecember wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:33 pm Greetings--
I have the problem resizing a window in VLC. When I open VLC the window pops up fully expanded (NOT maximized) and no matter what I do I cannot get it to return to a different size. <alt> F8 won't send the cursor to the corner to resize nor will it give me the arrow pointing to a bit of line. Anyone have any ideas?
If I'm understanding correctly, use F11 to toggle fullscreen.
petedecember
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: Resizing windows difficult

Post by petedecember »

Thanks for the suggestions: F11 solved my problems exactly. Good people helping out on this board!
LG Gram 17 upgraded to 2 tb SSD, dual booting Windows 10, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit
Asus Zenbook UM425Q, Linux Mint 21 with Cinnamon, 64 bit

Return to “Xfce”