xfce+Thunar vs Cinnamon+Nemo? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

xfce+Thunar vs Cinnamon+Nemo? [SOLVED]

Post by EdB »

Not sure why there is a separation here. I am running Cinnamon but am playing with XFCE in a VM and I sort of like it better. It's a bit crisper in some ways, or something. But I do like a lot of things about Nemo. Is there any reason why I should not install it set it as the default file manager app for XFCE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: xfce+Thunar vs Cinnamon+Nemo?

Post by mediclaser »

The default file manager is one of the things I like about the Cinnamon desktop. I can easily switch column positions (e.g. Size, Date Modified) by just dragging them horizontally. No other desktops that I have tried let me do this.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

mediclaser wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 pm The default file manager is one of the things I like about the Cinnamon desktop. I can easily switch column positions (e.g. Size, Date Modified) by just dragging them horizontally. No other desktops that I have tried let me do this.
Exactly. Thunar does look nicer in a lot of ways, but it does not have that sort of configurability. I just wondered if there is any reason *not* to use Nemo instead of Thunar in XFCE. It's just another program in the software manager, after all.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

Greetings!

Actually, rearranging Thunar's columns is quite easy to do: {open} Thunar > View {menu} > Configure Columns {option} > tweak column sequence ... Fyi, here's a screenshot:

Of course, it helps to switch Thunat's view to the tabular format (press Ctrl+2) while tailoring it.

Cheers, m4a

PS: my major complaint, if any, with Thunar is that it lacks window's per-folder/-directory view options ...
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

mint4all wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm...
Actually, rearranging Thunar's columns is quite easy to do: {open} Thunar > View {menu} > Configure Columns {option} > tweak column sequence ...
Yes, but it's not as fast and convenient as dragging the columns horizontally.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

mediclaser wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:22 pm
mint4all wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm...
Actually, rearranging Thunar's columns is quite easy to do: {open} Thunar > View {menu} > Configure Columns {option} > tweak column sequence ...
Yes, but it's not as fast and convenient as dragging the columns horizontally.
I also like that you can change views by picking buttons along the top menu, and adding other buttons as you want. And the favorites menu, where you can put commonly-used directories and ftp is very handy. And finally, the option "Connect to Server..." under File. Granted, you can do all these things externally, but it is just convenient to have them all in one place.

Anyway, I do not want to start a skirmish, so back to the original question - any reason not to make Nemo the file manager app under XFCE?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

To answer your question, it's probably far simpler of a thing to use a non-"native" file manager in Xfce than it is to use a non-"native" file manager in Cinnamon. That's just a guess from an ignorant one, but as long as Nemo follows accepted standards, it should work. Also, even if it does not, it should be a simple thing to revert the change back.

Do you wish Nemo to manage the desktop, too?

As an aside, one thing that Thunar has going for it is the ability to easily add "custom actions" to its right-click menu. I do not know if this is a thing in Nemo, too, or not, because I only used Nemo briefly and that was some time ago. See:
https://dquinton.github.io/debian-insta ... nar.html#3

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 pm To answer your question, it's probably far simpler of a thing to use a non-"native" file manager in Xfce than it is to use a non-"native" file manager in Cinnamon. That's just a guess from an ignorant one, but as long as Nemo follows accepted standards, it should work. Also, even if it does not, it should be a simple thing to revert the change back.

As an aside, one thing that Thunar has going for it is the ability to easily add "custom actions" to its right-click menu. I do not know if this is a thing in Nemo, too, or not, because I only used Nemo briefly and that was some time ago. See:

Regards,
MDM
I did see the thing with Custom Actions, though I do not see an application for it at this time. Perhaps later, I will investigate. I think just using Nemo as another utility alongside Thunar would probably get me everything I want. I don't suppose I would really have to make it the default manager, as Thunar would get 90% of what I would be looking for.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

EdB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm
MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 pm To answer your question, it's probably far simpler of a thing to use a non-"native" file manager in Xfce than it is to use a non-"native" file manager in Cinnamon. That's just a guess from an ignorant one, but as long as Nemo follows accepted standards, it should work. Also, even if it does not, it should be a simple thing to revert the change back.

Regards,
MDM
I did see the thing with Custom Actions, though I do not see an application for it at this time. Perhaps later, I will investigate. I think just using Nemo as another utility alongside Thunar would probably get me everything I want. I don't suppose I would really have to make it the default manager, as Thunar would get 90% of what I would be looking for.
On further review, the Custom Actions is quite a cool capability. I can foresee it having many useful applications! Thanks for steering me into looking at it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: xfce+Thunar vs Cinnamon+Nemo? [SOLVED]

Post by smurphos »

Nemo does custom actions as-well :)

Anyway to return to the OP's question - it should be fine to run both together. As an aside Thunar is actually a good edition to Nemo in Cinnamon - Nemo can then 'borrow' Thunar's bulk-rename capability.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:54 pm one thing that Thunar has going for it is the ability to easily add "custom actions" to its right-click menu.
I had to chime in about this. "Custom Actions" is pure gold! I went a whole year in Xfce before realizing it was even there.

Return to “Xfce”