[SOLVED}redshift failure in 20.0 xfce

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED}redshift failure in 20.0 xfce

Post by wh7qq »

I cannot get redshift to work properly in Mint 20.0 xfce. From startup or from console loading it returns
Failed to load redshift. Malformed argument. Failed to set manual argument.
This occurs if I load without a redshift.conf file placed in~/.config/redshift. If the example file from http://jonls.dk/redshift/is used, it loads with an inappropriate color temp for my longitude but when I change to that (-157.20) it ignores the minus sign and gives the Eastern longitude. It appears to work properly in Cinnamon but will not work correctly with xfce. I have tried a variety of different syntaxes for location but nothing helps. I have had it working properly in earlier versions of Mint xfce.
Last edited by wh7qq on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: redshift failure in 20.0 xfce

Post by carum carvi »

I have had some problems with getting redshift to automatically choose the correct location and timezone work in Cinnamon as well.

Apologies that the following is is not a real solution for you that is desirable for you, but what I do is enter a terminal command every time I want to use Redshift. It's a bit of a hassle, but I get what I want:

Code: Select all

redshift -O 4500
Instead of 4500 one can enter any other number to make colors look warmer or brighter. You can go as low as 2000, with this terminal command, which the standard settings of Redshift will not provide me with. And I can use this low, warm looking, setting even when it is bright daylight outside. I am so frustrated with Redshift not being able to simply accept a low setting when it's daylight outside. The above terminal command, however much of a hassle it is, circumvents this day/night issue for me.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Redshift seems to be working OK for me. What I do is edit the application using menulibre. I change the command option from "redshift-gtk" to "redshift-gtk -l 53.7:0.41" then save the launcher. Try that, using your own coordinates obviously, & see if that helps.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

I could not get it to work: First time with menulibre but could not find any close out button. I changed the command and crossed my fingers. It did not seem to help and I still got the "Malformed argument" message. The command may not have been changed. Running from command line with the revised command was no help. Thanks anyhow.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Not sure what you mean by "close out button". You do need to click the "save launcher" button though after you have edited the command, in menulibre. It's in the top bar, second from the left.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

I was expecting an explicit button titled "Save" or something similar...this is a bit stealthy. In any case, that worked but the error message persists and I now have 3 "Accessory" items in my menu and I haven't figured how do delete the extras or get the remainer to work. Thanks but forget it. I will hold off upgrading the wife's machine to 20 until this is fixed...it's why I always do mine first...get the bugs out. The wallpaper for this edition is lame as well. I should have stayed with 19.3
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

"Malformed Argument" Seems to indicate that you dont have the launch command correct. Try copying & pasting my command & see if you get the same result.
redshift-gtk -l 53.7:0.41
Any items in your accessory menu that you have created are found in you Home folder, in your .local/share/applications folder, & can be removed from there.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

I get the same result as before...Malformed argument..." with a direct copy of your command. The light bulb shows up in the panel and the menu comes up as it should but if you try for "Info" the message comes back and the bulb and menu vanish. It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with this download...did not go through all the verification routine...just sha256sum.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Redshift does come as part of the Mint stock install. So you could boot into the live usb/dvd, & see if it works there.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wh7qq »

I just downloaded a fresh copy of linuxmint20 xfce and went through all the steps in Clem's blog for verifying it. It passed. I am now burning to a USB drive and will run when finished.We shall see.

The freshly downloaded and verified .iso works properly so now we will install it and see if redshift still works as it should. This will take some time, of course. More later.
wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED}Re: redshift failure in 20.0 xfce

Post by wh7qq »

@cottcfan: I burned the fresh, verified copy of 20 Xfce to USB and installed it to a hard drive and as if by magic, your entry worked. Either something was screwed up in the original download or ?. The ? installation was an upgrade from 19.3 so maybe that was screwed up. Thanks.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED}redshift failure in 20.0 xfce

Post by cottfcfan »

Glad You're sorted.
That's one reason why I always do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Saves all the little glitches.

Return to “Xfce”