xfce panel disappears when removing app-icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jildridge
Level 1
Level 1

xfce panel disappears when removing app-icons

Post by jildridge »

Hi,
I don't know if there is already a thread regarding the above mentioned problem.
However, I just installed a fresh Linux Mint 20.2 xfce edition on my laptop, without any further configuration or changes to the system.
I can add apps to the panel without problems, but when trying to remove apps again, the whole panel disappears. I only can reactivate it by opening a terminal window manually (strg-alt-t) and typing xfce4-panel.
Is there anyone with the same problem?

Any ideas are welcome.

---------------
Linux Mint 20.2 xfce on a HP 250 G7
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AntonyL
Level 1
Level 1

Re: xfce panel disappears when removing app-icons

Post by AntonyL »

Hi there, having same problem here on 20.2 upgrade.

I have main panel at top of screen and a second larger panel at bottom of screen, when I try to remove/delete an item from the lower panel it basically crashes leading to both panels disappearing from screen. Log out recovers both panels.

'System Reports' app reports a core dump on my Star Lite Mk III laptop running 5.11 kernel.

Didn't do a clean upgrade from 20.1 as I usually do, but have removed all config files in home directory & rebooted. Problem still persists, so unless it is a side effect of something somewhere else related to the upgrade, it appears to be a bug.

Not used to this on Xfce!!

Hope this helps.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I have had this issue on the new install. It looks like a XFCE panel bug and should be reported.

To restore the panel to default state:

Shut down the panel: xfce4-panel --quit
Kill the xfce4 configuration daemon: pkill xfconfd
Delete settings for the panel: rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel
Clear out the settings for xfconfd: rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
Restart the panel: xfce4-panel (full path to it is /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/xfconf/xfconfd )

Still you can remove launchers from panel:
right-click on panel : Panel -->Panel Preferences... -->tab Items --> select launcher --> click Remove
-=t42=-
AntonyL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyL »

As an aside to this issue, if for any reason the panel(s) disappear and you're left feeling a bit perplexed:

- Right click on desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Menus -> tick: Include applications menu on desktop right click -> close

- Right click on desktop -> Applications -> Log out

Simplest method & worked for me.
jildridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jildridge »

Thanks for your replies;
Good to know that it is probably a bug. I tried the panel-restore procedure and saved it for emergency in case of a total panel disaster. Thx. In Mate this is much easier to do I think. And to have the App-menu placed in the desktop-context-menu is surely a good alternative.
Well, in the meantime I have found another fussiness, when trying to send an application from the menu to the panel. No matter what application I send to the panel, I always get firefox placed there instead. Strange. However, setting things via the panel-properties works at least.
AntonyL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyL »

Yeah I've also experienced that Firefox issue too, but that was on 20.1. Seems a bit of a random issue, often on the second try it would be fine. Can't say it has happened for me on 20.2 yet, though I am using my newer laptop at the moment.
jildridge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jildridge »

I found a solution that works for me, solving the firefox issue as well as the lost panel issue:
On the panel I added another whisker menue plugin, then I deleted the preinstalled one.
And bingo the above mentioned problems are gone. --- more or less --- Give it a try.
AntonyL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyL »

Glad you've resolved some of your problems. Did try this here, but didn't stop panels crashing on deleting items.
Think the problem stems from the underlying Ubuntu core - I just booted up the live image of Xubuntu 21.04 and the panel crashes just the same as LM.
Quite suprised at this really as Xfce 4.16 has been released for quite a while now, and you'd think that most major bugs would have been fixed by now.
I will probably reinstall LM 20.1 for now - at least that is a stable environment I can rely on.
AntonyL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyL »

Does seem to be a specifically Ubuntu issue -> just booted up fairly recent Manjaro Xfce 21.0.6 live image and there is no problem deleting stuff from the (second) panel. Would have thought if (X)Ubuntu had fixed problem this would have filtered through to LM by now via updates or something ...
Manuki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manuki »

Hail dear people,

Thanks for sharing your experience, i got the same bug with the panel and i was lost about to find a solution.
Here i noticed that its really a bug and i learned the 'xfce4-panel' comand, that solved my problem.

Thank you for that, and should we try to solve that bug? How can we try this?
mladenp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mladenp »

Same issue here. No solution so far?
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

mladenp wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 am Same issue here. No solution so far?
how to remedy this described above
by t42 » 13 Jul 2021 06:59
-=t42=-
mladenp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mladenp »

Having to go trough this every time when adding or removing a launcher is no solution..
Is there a way to revert to XFCE 4.14 on Linux mint 20.2 XFCE?

This current version of XFCE(4.16.2) should not be considered stable.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Xfce”