How to get back the old dark thunar side panel? - 19.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gabriel Coutinho

How to get back the old dark thunar side panel? - 19.3

Post by Gabriel Coutinho »

How to get back the good old dark thunar side panel?
I remember this is as one of the first reasons Mint caught my eye. I have some visual handicaps and the dark panel is much more confortable for my eyes.
I've tryed changing the gtk-2.0 theme (apps.rc - "dark-sidebar" style) but changes are not reflected in the theme.
Some help on this would be mouch appreciated.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to get back the old dark thunar side panel? - 19.3

Post by MrEen »

Hi Gabriel Coutinho, and welcome to the forum.

The Xfce edition of Mint 19.3 is now fully(?) GTK-3, so that might explain your changes not having an effect.

That said, I have a dark side panel in my 19.3 Xfce VM, that I think may be applied by going to Menu > Settings > Appearance > Style tab and selecting Mint-Y-Dark. I honestly thought that's what mine was on install, but I may have changed it.
Gabriel Coutinho

Changing the style to the dark one is not an option for me because there's low contrast, everything turns dark.
But after your answer I've realized that in fact, thunar 1.8 is now gtk 3. After some search, I've found that some people from Arc Linux are having similar issues.
Now, the poit is how to get the right code to the gtk 3 css file.
After some comparison with the Gtk 3 on a Greybird theme, I've tryed this code successfully. There must be an other way like including thunar settings into the general side pane options to also get the icons with a propper light color:

Code: Select all

.thunar .sidebar .view, .thunar .sidebar iconview {
  background-color: #4A4A4A;
  color: #ffffff; }
.thunar .sidebar .view:selected, .thunar .sidebar iconview:selected, .thunar .sidebar .view:active, .thunar .sidebar iconview:active {
  background: #8BB158;
  color: #ffffff; }
I've hadded this to the gtk.css file. Search for ".thunar .sidebar" in that file, inside the theme's gtk-3.0 folder.
So, if someone else is working on this, please reply to this post.
Thanks.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I've raised this as a bug report against the beta as the Thunar theming is inconsistent with Caja and Nemo theming in the Mint-themes.

https://github.com/linuxmint/mint19.3-beta/issues/41

In the meantime the easiest place to override the current system theme is to add your override css to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css. Avoids needing to to amend the themes gtk.css
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Clem's response to the bug report - https://github.com/linuxmint/mint19.3-b ... -563238124

So thunar losing the dark sidebar was by design to avoid an issue with visibility of the home icon...

Anyway this content in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css will work across all Mint-Y and Mint-Y-Darker variants..

background-color: #404040;
  color: #dbdbdb; }
  .thunar .sidebar .view:selected, .thunar .sidebar iconview:selected, .thunar .sidebar .view:active, .thunar .sidebar iconview:active {
    background: @theme_selected_bg_color;
    color: @theme_selected_fg_color; }
For Mint-X variants the above will work, but if you want to fully maintain Mint-X colors you just need this.

background-color: #505050;
  color: #dadada; }
You'll need to log off and back on for the change to take.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Gabriel Coutinho

Well, I've followed all the links and I think this solution is good enough. The home icon can be easily hidden, once it’s shown by default in the toolbar. What would be really nice was to have symbolic icons on the sidebar (like in the “save” dialog) so we can manipulate it’s color. I hope Thunar developers can improve this shortly.
Thanks.
dm999

Post by dm999 »

smurphos wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:06 am Clem's response to the bug report - https://github.com/linuxmint/mint19.3-b ... -563238124

So thunar losing the dark sidebar was by design to avoid an issue with visibility of the home icon...

Anyway this content in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css will work across all Mint-Y and Mint-Y-Darker variants..

background-color: #404040;
  color: #dbdbdb; }
    background: @theme_selected_bg_color;
    color: @theme_selected_fg_color; }
For Mint-X variants the above will work, but if you want to fully maintain Mint-X colors you just need this.

background-color: #505050;
  color: #dadada; }
You'll need to log off and back on for the change to take.

Thanks SMURPHOS, I've been looking for a solution for this.

Return to “Xfce”