Windows open up on the secondary monitor.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fretta
Level 1
Level 1

Windows open up on the secondary monitor.

Post by fretta »

All,

Two years later I have the same problem as scowal had, right hand side principal monitor, some apps displaying on the secondary monitor (left hand side).
Did anybody find a solution?

Please advise. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Windows open up on the secondary monitor.

Post by rossdv8 »

We were discussing this problem last week in another thread.
Rather than typing a heap of stuff again I'll post the relevant bits of my reply here.
I tested it and it works with some Apps but not with all of them. I'm not sure why, but you might like to see if it works for yours.

The thread was located at:
viewtopic.php?p=2191396#p2191396

If you decide to try this, you will need to select Compiz as your Window Manager (in Desktop Settings), and install CCSM :
sudo apt install compioz-config-settings-manager

if you don't already have it.

It is worth reading a couple of guides on how to use CCSM, because there is a LOT of stuff you can configure using it, including settings particular Apps to open on particular Monitors, and on particular Virtual Desktops within those Monitors.

Ok, here's the last bit of the thread so far:
E D I T

Going back to some notes, I believe that it was achieved in something called 'Special Application Settings'.
The Activities remembered Applications that were last opened in them - opr the Apps remembered where they were last opened. Not sure which.

However, wherever these settings were, probably in the Window Settings somewhere, a program could apparently be assigned to open on a specific Screen, and in a Specific Activity. My notes beyond that have gone missing.

Is there a setting in Mint Cinnamon or one of the other remaining flavours of Mint, that allows something like this?

Could it be useful for assigning a particular App, like a Browser, to always open on a particular Monitor?

U P D A T E :

It looks like people with Compiz installed might be able to assign a Specific Display or a Specific Workspace (in Compiz they are called Viewports) for individual Apps.

I understand 'how' this 'should' work. Initially though it has not worked for me without a reboot on the Program I would like to have open in the Workspace that I always use it in. Looks like it might warrant further investigation.
Especially if it allows opening something on a specific attached Monitor.

Explanation:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/how-to-m ... en-on.html

Step by Step Video (makes it look DeadBeef Easy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZXesqjTECA&t=63s

Updated UPDATE:
After the further investigationy bit.
It works ! At least, it works for Setting an App to open on a Specific Workspace.
I followed the written instructions in the first link and made a mistake in one step.
I followed the Video - step at a time - and it worked perfectly.

Now whenever I launch NoMachine, it opens in the workspace I use for my VNC connections.

Overall, not quite as flexible or slick as KDE Activities, but I now have something that allows me to define a multimedia Workspace and a VNC workspace by binding a couple of frequently used Apps to open initially in the Workspaces where I use them most.

It is also only a few clicks in CCSM to remove the binding.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Xfce”