Safely remove external hdd from Thunar?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Erwin_19
Level 1
Level 1

Safely remove external hdd from Thunar?

Post by Erwin_19 »

Hi, I am on Linux mint 21 xfce 64bit, Whenever i try to unmount/eject my external hdd there is a message saying "writing data to disk please don't remove it" for a couple of second and it disappears. So how to fix this thing? I usually plug in and out couple of times a day. So a bit paranoid about this message.

Sorry it's my first post and kind of noob when it comes to all this
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Safely remove external hdd from Thunar?

Post by Spearmint2 »

Using "time shift" or some other backup system and having it sent to that drive?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Erwin_19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Erwin_19 »

No, i haven't done anything like that, infact i formatted and it gives the same message, other file manager doesn't give any message as such.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

I use the Thunar File Manager and have never worried about this.
If the file manager or some module/command it invokes to dismount the volume wants to write to the volume before dismounting it, what is the problem?

I now notice that the Xfe file manager (not to be confused with the xfce environment) does in fact not show this message. Maybe it is not "integrated" into the Xfce environment like Thunar is.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

That message is completely normal. It's just telling you that it's flushing the write buffers before unmounting/electing the disk. I always click the little eject icon in the left pane for that drive and get that message every time. I've been using Xfce for years and it hasn't caused any problem with this.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Erwin_19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Erwin_19 »

Okay i was just confirming things. I thought it might cause problems in long run. Thanks for clearing it up

Return to “Xfce”