Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

Postby EsixX » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 am

I found a few topics that supposedly are about this problem, but they didn't include any usable information. Thus I will make a new topic. Since last week my window borders disappeared. I do not know when this happened but I noticed it after starting the calculator. Just a week before this happened I installed a fresh and clean Linux Mint 13 Maya XFCE 64-bit.

So my borders disappeared but I experienced this before on Mint and Ubuntu because of to much tweaking with themes. In this case I didn't tweak, but I knew how to temporary get my borders back by this code in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo xfmw4 --replace

When doing this I get the following error/warning messages:

Waiting for current window manager (Xfwm4) on screen :0.0 to exit: Done

(xfwm4:4988): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(xfwm4:4988): xfwm4-WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

I just noticed that this code has an ouput of: 'xfwm4:4988' this is new, it was: 'xfwm4:2910'

now, every time I start my laptop, all windowborders are gone. I desperately go to the terminal to put in this code, but it takes a lot of trouble to get the terminal working because it doesn't recognize different windows. For example: Firefox starts, I start the terminal and want to put in this code but it only puts things in Firefox, supposedly after a couple of minutes the terminalwindow 'activates' and I can put in the code. So how to solve all this?

Thanks in advance,

Level 1
Level 1

Postby bombadil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 am

Me too.

I have same problems, after last update windows border disappears.
After a command xfmw4 --replace border and button showing up, but i can't close a terminal or press ctrl-c, otherwise disappear again.

$ sudo xfwm4 --replace

(xfwm4:2911): GLib-WARNING **: (/build/buildd-glib2.0_2.32.3-1-i386-987P8N/glib2.0-2.32.3/./glib/gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

(xfwm4:2911): xfwm4-WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: Impossibile connettersi al gestore della sessione: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

32 bit OS version.

Thx for any help suggested.

Level 1
Level 1

Postby mephisto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 am

After I updated the kernel I had the same problem.. no windows borders or anything.. here's how I solved it

I actually just used
in the terminal.. leave terminal open

then when the windows look OK again go to sessions-startup menu and save the current session for xfmw4.
On next reboot all should be OK, for me it was at least... fortunately ;)
Hope this helps.

BTW I never saw any of those errors but that might be because I just used "xfmw4" in the terminal. A wild guess, the replace might not work because it is not running in the first place, so there is nothing to replace.

Return to “XFCE”