is there a way to have Mint Xfce OEM?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlexMex90

is there a way to have Mint Xfce OEM?

Post by AlexMex90 »

Hello, I'm going to install Mint 13 Xfce for a friend, I would like to know if is there a way to enable OEM install mode so my friend can set up his keyboard layout, password and account by himself without having to setting up things by myself that may not suit him.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: is there a way to have Mint Xfce OEM?

Post by DrHu »

I don't know, but I don't belive xfce has an oem version, they simply allow anyone to install it
--even with an oem version, the new user is still on their own as far as setting up their own preferences for the desktop, session control and so on
  • That might or might not be too much for him
    --you know his level of comfort with Linux and can make that judgement
My suggestion(s)..
  • Ask him what he wants as a user name
    --give it a simple password or a blank, and show him how to reset hist password
  • For a naive user, despite the fact that xfce is quite fast and lighter weight than the standard desktops (kde or Gnome); it nevertheless sometimes requires editing text files
    --not too difficult with some clear instructions
Even a simple one or two page sheet with the basic instructions would probably be good enough, and if you want you could make it a point to point out the web site and user manual or guides or tips available..
--or even a video walkthrough as might be available on youtube or some reviewer's site..
http://www.xfce.org/
http://www.xfce.org/about/tour
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

I would like to avoid doing that...

also I know there is a way by editing the boot parameters (using the TAB key while booting the live media) i did that once to install Ubuntu in OEM mode from a UnetBootin LiveUSB. However, I don't remember what to add...

it is currently

> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

Got it, the boot parameter to be added is

oem-config/enable=true

so, to set up an OEM installation in Mint Xfce is necessary to press tab to edit the boot parameter and add oem-config/enable=true at the end.

> /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- oem-config/enable=true

however, after installation, I'm unable to set up the system for the end user, so I'm permanently stuck with the OEM tmp user. Should I report a bug?

Return to “Xfce”