Thank you for Mint XFCE!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for Mint XFCE!

Post by ander111 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Sorry to clutter up the forum with a non-essential topic, but I just wanted to send a sincere THANK YOU to the developers who've made Mint XFCE possible.

I've always liked my little Toshiba netbook's portability, but it crawled compared to normal notebook PCs. The main reason was its OS, the so-called Windows 7 Starter Edition.

W7 SE was a joke, and lots of computer users fell for it. Microsoft had just released Windows 7 and made a big deal about its higher system demands (even publishing an app to test people's PCs to see if they were powerful enough for the new OS). Then Linux netbooks suddenly started selling, and MS panicked. How could they claim Win 7 was a good netbook OS when many full-size PCs had trouble running it?

So in a classic case of corporate misdirection, MS modified Win 7 with a fixed desktop background (a Windows logo, of course) and no support for Secondary Log-On, and called it Starter Edition---and let people imagine it was a significantly streamlined and faster. You could have well put a spoiler on your family sedan and claimed it was a Ferrari. :?|

Replacing W7 SE with Mint XFCE has made my netbook a whole new machine. Everything works great. The long delays are gone, and it's more secure and easier to maintain. XFCE's simple interface is perfect for a netbook's smaller display, and avoids the well-meaning Unity-style, tablet-oriented approach. IMHO, it's is the only netbook OS. Cheers for the Mint team! -- Ander

JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thank you for Mint XFCE!

Post by JWJones » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Mint Xfce is very nice, I run it on my ThinkPad T61 (typing on it right now). I'm not a fan of either Cinnamon or MATE, and I have grown to really appreciate the modularity and light weight of Xfce. I did like Gnome 2, and I do like KDE4, but Gnome has gone totally unusable, IMO, and KDE4 is just too heavy, slow, and more DE than I want or need. Along with Xfce, I also like LXDE and Openbox. But for now, I'm sticking with Xfce. For me, it is the perfect balance of light weight, configurability, and functionality.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:43 am

agree with OP its the perfect WM

initially it puts your typical user off with its bare interface but after a few simple tweaks and learning you can get something that looks just as good as anything else imo. and its light weight and rock solid.

on my laptop the 32bit edition runs at 137mb ram usage on desktop ! KDE mint and ubuntu were more like 450-600mb after updates.

my desktop 64-bit build after some minor tweaks looks so clean and works fast and simple.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/8c/8cf8736c_Screenshot2.png

:D

igor83

Post by igor83 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 am

JWJones wrote:Mint Xfce is very nice, I run it on my ThinkPad T61 (typing on it right now). I'm not a fan of either Cinnamon or MATE, and I have grown to really appreciate the modularity and light weight of Xfce. I did like Gnome 2, and I do like KDE4, but Gnome has gone totally unusable, IMO, and KDE4 is just too heavy, slow, and more DE than I want or need. Along with Xfce, I also like LXDE and Openbox. But for now, I'm sticking with Xfce. For me, it is the perfect balance of light weight, configurability, and functionality.
I run LM Xfce on my htpc because I want to minimize the system resources reserved for the desktop, since I don't really use the desktop on a daily basis on the htpc. I have Thunar load automatically at startup and open into the video directory, and I have created shortcuts to the video and music directories in Thunar. Thunar is fast and has a special feature I need--custom actions. I defined an action that will load a directory of music into VLC, wait 5 seconds, and then run xscreensaver, which runs GLslideshow, accessing random images from my art collection.

For my Thinkpad R60, I find that actually LM KDE works faster than I ever expected. I prefer KDE on the laptop and the desktop because I like to use Ktorrent for torrenting and Dolphin as a file manager. Dolphin has a nice way of previewing images. I feel most comfortable with KDE overall on the desktop, having tried Mate, Cinnamon, LM Debian, Xfce, Fluxbox (due to Gparted), Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. I think KDE is best of them all, although mileage varies a great deal depending upon the user's hardware. On my ATI/AMD based kludge, KDE seems sluggish. However with my laptop's old 2008 Intel Core 2 Duo, KDE zips along as fast as I could ever want. Intel really is the way to go. I will never buy another AMD chip unless it is priced at a very steep discount.

Wouter_db
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wouter_db » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 am

I second all this, thanks a million developers! :) XFCE is purfect for my netbook which would grind to a halt on stock Win7.
So modular, you can exactly do what YOU want, not what the OS wants you to do.
Fresh happy penguin since mid juli 2012. Running Mint14 XFCE on my Asus R051DX, and Mate on my HP pav dv6000.

JWJones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JWJones » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 am

igor83 wrote:For my Thinkpad R60, I find that actually LM KDE works faster than I ever expected. I prefer KDE on the laptop and the desktop because I like to use Ktorrent for torrenting and Dolphin as a file manager. Dolphin has a nice way of previewing images. I feel most comfortable with KDE overall on the desktop, having tried Mate, Cinnamon, LM Debian, Xfce, Fluxbox (due to Gparted), Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. I think KDE is best of them all, although mileage varies a great deal depending upon the user's hardware.
I was actually thinking that I might download the LM 14 KDE and give it another try. There certainly is a lot to like about KDE, and it's been a while since I've given LM KDE a try. Most recently I was running Slackware-current with KDE 4.10, and it was pretty zippy, but still not as much so as Xfce. Are you running the latest KDE (4.10.2) or the stock 4.9 that shipped with LM 14 KDE?

3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3fRI » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 am

Agreed, LM Xfce is great! :D

I've tried all of LM's flavors during the past 3 years or so, but Xfce has been the one that I've used almost exclusively on my iMac, which doesn't play well with non-Ubuntu-based distros. Although I have machines that can handle a full-blown version of KDE with all the bells and whistles, I prefer a desktop environment with fewer "distractions." LM Xfce works OOTB and it's stable, fast, nimble, and easily configurable, which is all I need or want! 8)
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Manjaro 15.12 Capella Xfce/Cinnamon 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Mac OS 10.11

[iWhat? Me worry?[/i]

igor83

Post by igor83 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 am

JWJones wrote:
igor83 wrote:For my Thinkpad R60, I find that actually LM KDE works faster than I ever expected. I prefer KDE on the laptop and the desktop because I like to use Ktorrent for torrenting and Dolphin as a file manager. Dolphin has a nice way of previewing images. I feel most comfortable with KDE overall on the desktop, having tried Mate, Cinnamon, LM Debian, Xfce, Fluxbox (due to Gparted), Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8. I think KDE is best of them all, although mileage varies a great deal depending upon the user's hardware.
I was actually thinking that I might download the LM 14 KDE and give it another try. There certainly is a lot to like about KDE, and it's been a while since I've given LM KDE a try. Most recently I was running Slackware-current with KDE 4.10, and it was pretty zippy, but still not as much so as Xfce. Are you running the latest KDE (4.10.2) or the stock 4.9 that shipped with LM 14 KDE?
I went crazy and joined the other lunatics in this forum that upgraded their KDE in (Linux Mint Nadia KDE) to 4.10 by accessing the kubuntu backports. We were all okay with 4.10.1, but then when 4.10.2 was released, that was the doozy for some of us. Others were perfectly okay. Others only had a momentary issue and then were okay. I was confined to Konsole for a day or two until we finally figured out what to do, and then everything was smooth sailing for everybody. You know, I think the cause of my problem was guess what... AMD/ATI. heh heh, one day that thing's going up on Ebay. A Windows user will be perfectly fine with it.

But anyway I installed a new distro on my desktop this evening--Kubuntu 13.04! So far, my impression is favorable. I used to think of Kubuntu as Linux Mint KDE -4, but now it's more like Linux Mint -2. The negative number indicates how many additional hours are required to get the system looking and acting about as good as Linux Mint KDE. Of course this is all subjective, but I don't really care for some of the default apps in Kubuntu such as Rekonq for web browser or Kmail for email or even Kwallet for that matter. But Linux Mint KDE installs Kwallet and Kmail too, so there's no difference there. The verdict is out on Kubuntu's new Muon Package Manager, but I do think it has a beta-ish quality to it and rather prefer Linux Mint's Synaptic Package Manager. But I am very impressed with KDE 4.10.2, as they are really making strides in catering to users like me that love the dark backgrounds that are easy on the eyes. I clicked on one little setting and it made my Konsole have a black background, which pleases me to no end. KDE 4.10.2 does seem more responsive as well. The few minor bugs are related to petty little options in the Settings that can trigger a crash, but that is all manageable and not a big deal to me.

purgatori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by purgatori » Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 pm

I am delighted by Mint XFCE as well. I did try MATE, and it run just as well on my aging hardware as XFCE does, but it actually seemed less feature-rich and intuitive than XFCE -- and it was just little things, like not being able to use the mousewheel to scroll between virtual desktops and so on. It almost makes me wonder why MATE was necessary; but hey, I think diversity is a wonderful thing, and it is one of the things that gives Linux the edge over other operating systems on the market.

ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:44 pm

igor83 wrote:I run LM Xfce on my htpc because I want to minimize the system resources reserved for the desktop, since I don't really use the desktop on a daily basis on the htpc... For my Thinkpad R60, I find that actually LM KDE works faster than I ever expected. I prefer KDE on the laptop and the desktop because I like to use Ktorrent for torrenting and Dolphin as a file manager... I think KDE is best of them all, although mileage varies a great deal depending upon the user's hardware.
Obviously it depends on what you need and what you have. Many of us use our portable devices almost entirely online now, and don't need a lot of fancy desktop graphics and features. For that, XFCE is an excellent choice.

igor83

Post by igor83 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm

ander111 wrote:
igor83 wrote:I run LM Xfce on my htpc because I want to minimize the system resources reserved for the desktop, since I don't really use the desktop on a daily basis on the htpc... For my Thinkpad R60, I find that actually LM KDE works faster than I ever expected. I prefer KDE on the laptop and the desktop because I like to use Ktorrent for torrenting and Dolphin as a file manager... I think KDE is best of them all, although mileage varies a great deal depending upon the user's hardware.
Obviously it depends on what you need and what you have. Many of us use our portable devices almost entirely online now, and don't need a lot of fancy desktop graphics and features. For that, XFCE is an excellent choice.
KDE actually seems relatively slow on my AMD/ATI desktop, but fast on my old, $95, used Thinkpad laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo. Intel is just a thousand times better than AMD, is why. So if you are lucky enough to have Intel under the hood, I think one can spring for KDE. In retrospect, I wish I had installed Xfce on my AMD/ATI desktop. Or better yet, I wish I sold the AMD motherboard on Ebay to some Windows user. I know one thing, I will never buy another AMD chip as long as I live.

xfce13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xfce13 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank you to all for the hard work on Mint xfce - much appreciated. It runs on a very modest PIII notebook with 512mb RAM really smoothly.

All the best. Ed

Return to “Xfce”