Desktop icons Mint 13 Xfce questions

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nomko

Desktop icons Mint 13 Xfce questions

Post by nomko »

I have some questioins regarding some icons on my Mint 13 Xfce desktop. I have a second computer running Mint 13 Xfce.

Q1:
I went to /usr/share/applications and right clicked on some applications of which i wanted a sterter on the desktop. But now i see an arrow going over the whole icon. How can i remove that?

Q2:
I have picked a wallpaper which has dark edges. I want to keep the icons at the left-top corner. But the letters are black of the icons so it is not really good visible at the dark edges. Oh yes, i want to keep that wallpaper since my daughter likes it very much. Question here is: how to get those letters of the icons in a different (more brighter) color?

Thanks everyone!
d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Desktop icons Mint 13 Xfce questions

Post by d00med »

I don't know how to get rid if the desktop icon overlays, but to the second question, make a file in your home directory, rename it to .gtkrc-2.0, and paste this into it.

Code: Select all

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 75
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-label-alpha = 100
    XfdesktopIconVIew::ellipsize-icon-labels = 1

XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#ff0000"
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 2
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 2
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#00ff00"

XfdesktopIconVIew::cell-spacing = 6
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-padding = 6
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-text-width-proportion = 2.5

base[NORMAL] = "#00ff00"
    base[SELECTED] = "#5050ff"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#0000ff"

fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#ffffff"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
You'll have to adjust the colors to your liking.
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr »

There should already be a hidden file called ".gtkrc-2.0" in your home directory. It should redirect to another file called ".gtkrc-xfce". You want to edit the .gtkrc-xfce file.

As for what properties the different codes adjust, take a look at this http://tacticalvim.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... d-in-xfce/
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

For Q1 -

Right-click the symlink for your program you have already created on the desktop
click Edit Launcher - leave this box open

Then, right-click the desktop > click Create Launcher
Copy the text from Edit Launcher fields (Name, Comment, Command), to Create Launcher fields

In Create Launcher box, next to Icon: click "No icon" button - navigate to your program icon - click it, click ok
Click Create

Test to see if ok, then delete the symlink from the desktop.

Edit:
Easier than the above -
I just realised you can also just click and drag an application icon from /usr/share/applications to the desktop - you should get the shortcut icon without an arrow - then delete the symlink you created. This doesn't work if the icon in /usr/share/applications already has an arrow - eg. Libre Office applications - then you have to do the original way.
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)
nomko

Post by nomko »

edwardr wrote:There should already be a hidden file called ".gtkrc-2.0" in your home directory. It should redirect to another file called ".gtkrc-xfce". You want to edit the .gtkrc-xfce file.

As for what properties the different codes adjust, take a look at this http://tacticalvim.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... d-in-xfce/
Ok i edited that file and now everything is visible. But the background of the text-labels is green. Can this also be changed? Which lines must be edited to change the background color?
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr »

The lines that begin with "base[..." are for the text background
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by PussyCat »

I'm a little puzzled by the relationship between gtkrc-2.0 and gtkrc-xfce. Edwardr states that gtkrc-2.0 redirects to gtkrc-xfce but that is surely not accurate since gtkrc-2.0 uses include gtkrc-xfce. Thus any values in the latter will be superceded by those in the former? Logically, I'm not sure why both files are needed (unless gtkrc-xfce is also called independently from elsewhere) but presumably the system demands that both are present especially if the include line were removed? Fumdamentally, I don't think it matters which which file the code is inserted in?

This tutorial http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1146 suggests editing gtkrc-2.0.

Anyway, in the OP, the code includes lines about shadow and I had hoped that it would provide the solution to my desire - ie to get shadow fonts which would be visible whether using a light or dark wallpaper. But unfortunately not (yet)!

EDIT Yes it does! The web page that I copied from had the values set to 0 but if set 1 or 2 as in OP it works! That's another objective that can be ticked off on my bucket list! [PS I've added the modification to gtkrc-2.0].

Return to “Xfce”