xcfe should come with hardinfo

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phill1978

xcfe should come with hardinfo

Post by phill1978 »

there is no full system information utility in mint 15 xcfe?

so you cant look at a full hardware roster and what drivers are running.

hardinfo is an exellent utility for this. it should be included :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: xcfe should come with hardinfo

Post by cwsnyder »

hardinfo, inxi, and other system information packages are available in the repositories. IMO, there is no reason to add them to the default packages and 'confuse' the n00bs.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Confuse the newbies?

I think Hardinfo was the first linux app I ever ran.

Not only should it - or another comparable app - be included by default in every version of every distro, there should be a big multicolored impossible to miss notice during the installation process of each distro telling people how to find and run the thing.

It wouldn't hurt to have a second, smaller - but also impossible to miss - notice telling users that whenever they post to forums like this one, they should state the full name of the distro that they are using, such as "Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit" or "Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-bit" instead of "Mint."

Along with Hardinfo and the ability to state what they are running, it would be helpful if every distro had a menu item for "Things People Will Expect to Know When I Ask for Support (and How to Find Them)" - I could use that one, myself :roll: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
mimix

Post by mimix »

Agreed completely. The focus should be on the end-user, so the packages should reflect that (such as including hardinfo and other user-friendly interfaces) not developers and such (removing java would be a must for instance).
aac74

Post by aac74 »

Yep hardinfo should be there as standard. Like it is on windows and mac !
Catfish too. So you can search for files !
aac74

Post by aac74 »

Also if mint is going to include Zeitgeist services (and auto start them) by default (I assume this is for maximum compatibility with ubuntu and gnome) it would make sense to include (but not necessarily auto start) an app like synapse (only uses about 12mb of ram) by default that makes use of Zeitgeist.
Otherwise you are just using up resources (about 6mb of ram ?) for no user benefit ?

Good to see that gnome 'users and groups' tool has been included as default.

Return to “Xfce”