Some Help please refining my XFCE desktop (Panel Launcher)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Some Help please refining my XFCE desktop (Panel Launcher)

Post by phill1978 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 am

Hi,

Love XFCE but there is one thing (well two but i dont want KDE just to do it) that I cant achieve easily (by the GUI anyway) with XFCE.

I have a 2nd Panel with very large icons on my desktop (size 80). It is filled with multiple 'launchers' each launcher is a program, So Firefox / Clementine / VLC / Terminal.

What I want is to be able to Click on them to launch the application and then 're-click' to minimize the application. Simple yes ? Just like windows / KDE / Cinnamon / Gnome / etc.. Has been able to do for an Age. Now its probably possible because XFCE is modular and just requires some sort of GTK-2.0.rc setting change.

So just before someone jumps in and says isnt that what the 'Windows Buttons' applet is for?? Well, yes and no. Yes it works like i want it to but when the application isnt launched the icon isnt there of course. Secondly, even if it was when scaling to 80 size the icons are half size and dont scale with the panel *I know this particular thing can be changed in the file i mentioned.

Apart from installing Docky (which occasionally disapears since the last few xfce updates on all the new builds I have made) because A. it has that annoying Docky Icon and B. The transparency isnt an exact match for the panel colour nor are the icons scaled 'cleanly' then end up looking a bit mucky. And forget Cairo dock as i think its just like some silly 90's piece of 'flash' that doesnt fit well with the modern look im going for.

I just need the 'launcher' to act as a minimize button also (perhaps with a slight glow or marker to say its minimized). Isnt is odd that XFCE doesnt merge the two when pretty much all other DE's do ???

thanks

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Some Help please refining my XFCE desktop (Panel Launche

Post by phill1978 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm

no replies as of yet? hmm.. i think this is one of XFCE's few weak areas then? Its a bit of a big fail.

minimising from a launcher to the same launcher icon has been around for ages and forms one of the key things a desktop user expects :?

hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hattpa » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 am

Hi phill1978
I also prefer XFCE, but don't use the default option for a second panel.

I've found Cairo-Dock is way better, far more configuration options, plus it seems to do what you're after :D
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain

aac74
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aac74 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

Sounds like a dock is your only option.
I too think cairo dock is way over the top !

Plank (based on docky codebase) looks good:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/3-themes-for-linux-dock-plank

But I found that it crashed a lot at startup (maybe because it's still alpha software ?)

------------------

AWN is no longer under development and is not included in mint 15 repos.

-----------------

Docky seems to be the only simple, fast and stable dock left standing, that is still getting some development.
The version in mint 15 32bit repos works great for me with xfce and compiz.
(though I found that the version in mint 14 64bit repos crashed on most package updates and installs and thus I was forced to use AWN)

The HUD theme with 3d background and a little icon scaling works best for me but you can set the icon size and scaling to what works for you.

Easy to remove the anchor icon like this:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/remove-anchor-icon-from-docky

Can still get to docky settings by right licking on the seperator.

Return to “Xfce”