Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Changing icons in XFCE panel applets?

Post by Losgann » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:28 pm

OK, another annoying XFCE theming question. :D

When I change icon sets under User Interface Settings, the desktop icons and menu icons change, but the panel applet icons (for example, the "actions" applet to log out/shutdown/etc.) do not. Is there any way to change these? I'm hoping that I could copy and rename an image file from another icon set, perhaps, but just poking around in Thunar I couldn't seem to find where panel applets live.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Changing icons in XFCE panel applets?

Post by Husse » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I just changed and the log out applet (if that's what it is :)) changed too
Changed from Elyssa to Crux and back
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Hello,

I have just about finished my new Mint desktop. I have successfully created new icons for my panel applets and also many apps. I found many of the panel applets in /usr/share/pixmaps. You will also want to check the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folder as that is the default Xfce icons file for those that the separate themes do not cover.

My remaining task is to switch from the orage clock (which rocks!) to the Xfce clock using the analogue option. I want to reskin the icon to match the rest of my "bubbles" but I do not know where to find the .png or whatever graphics the clock uses. Anyone have any ideas? Another option is to use cairo-clock, which I have reskinned, but I cannot get it to show on top of the panel. It only works on the desktop, even the "always on top" option does not work in the panels. I would be grateful for any suggestions on how I can create a custom analogue clock in my panel.
Attachments
snapshot4.png
My bottom panel: Xfce
snapshot4.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 5578 times

Losgann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Losgann » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:00 am

Wow, that’s a nice panel! I like your "bubbles". What GTK theme are you using, and where did you get the background image? Did you make it?

Also, thanks for the tips regarding the icon folders. In particular I was wanting to change the icons for the wifi connection level, volume level, and logout (I hate that little green stick figure!). I ended up removing the logout button from the panel and putting it in the dock, since I could choose the icon I wanted. I'd still like to modify the other two, though. I like the ones you have (assuming that's what the two level indicators on the right side of your panel are) — if you'd be willing to tell me in a bit more detail how you did it and what icons you used (did you use an existing set, or create your own?) I'd be grateful. (I'm still very much a newbie to both Linux and XFCE.)

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:18 pm

I am using a theme called MurrinaBlue. I did not install this, it was in the Xfce selection, though I have never encountered these themes before. maybe they are the ones done by Death Dream for Mint? Not sure the story but I love the theme. I am using Gion for my base icon set.

The icon set I am using is custom made using a templet from a Gentoo icon set that is no longer linked. I dont know why they took it down, it may infringe on someone's work, I dont know. I am just using it myself so i am not worried about it. I went beyond this awesome icon set and created many more simply by using a blank bubble as a templet.

The WICD icon set is in /usr/share/pixmap/wicd. I simply opened the .png of each icon in Gimp and copied it to my templet scaled accordingly. Those icons are scaled to 34x33 pixels for the bubble and I had to scale down the stock icons from 22 to 19 pixels. Then just rename the stock icon (you could copy over it, but I wanted to retain them) and save the new icon with the old name.

I believe the mixer icon was in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folder. This folder is screwy though, many files in it are empty. You have to look good to find things. For .svg files just resave the templet as .svg then use inkscape to create the icons.

edit: Here is a link to the Gentoo icon set mentioned. Not sure who the creator is, just be aware that they are freely offered but are someone's work.

http://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo/distfiles ... 811.tar.gz

edit edit: Seems to be quite a story behind these icons, and I am not going to get into it. The above linked file are icons created by Wolvin, who contributed to the main set created by many Gentoo users, but is not a complete set. Wolven's icons ARE licensed under the GPL, but many icons in the set were not. I believe this is why Gentoo pulled the main set. Here is a link to one of Wolvin's sites. You will find the icon templet here.

http://www.ionbox.org/icons.html

In any case, the icons are a breeze to make with the templet and are actually quite common. I see many using them as avatars even. Hmmm...I need an avatar...

ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ossified65 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:48 pm

FedoraRefugee wrote:Hello,

I have just about finished my new Mint desktop. I have successfully created new icons for my panel applets and also many apps. I found many of the panel applets in /usr/share/pixmaps. You will also want to check the /usr/share/icons/hicolor folder as that is the default Xfce icons file for those that the separate themes do not cover.
Would you mind telling me how to change the background image of the panel and how to change the little green stick figure to a different image? If it is as simple as replacing the files with different images with the same name, could you tell me where to find them in the system? Are they in the directories you mention above?

Your panel looks awesome

Bryan

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:36 pm

The themes MurrinaBlue, Murrina-LightGreen and MurrinaGreen were made by me.
The icons for the Actions buttons panel applet are located:
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/system-log-out.svg
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/system-lock-screen.svg

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:36 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:The themes MurrinaBlue, Murrina-LightGreen and MurrinaGreen were made by me.

Well, thank you. Not only for these themes but for the entire Xfce edition. It is the best out of the box Linux edition I have yet seen and I will be here for a long while. I am at heart a tinkerer but Fedora has just become too broke for me and while I use various other distros to play with on my desktop tower I use Elyssa Xfce on my work laptops. Also on my kids computers.

ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ossified65 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:The themes MurrinaBlue, Murrina-LightGreen and MurrinaGreen were made by me.
Even though I changed the icons at those locations the little green man in the applet did not go away... I want him to leave and be replaced by the nice red circular quit symbol.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 pm

ossified65 wrote:
Even though I changed the icons at those locations the little green man in the applet did not go away... I want him to leave and be replaced by the nice red circular quit symbol.
/usr/share/icons/ICON_THEME_NAME/scalable/actions/system-log-out.svg
/usr/share/icons/ICON_THEME_NAME/scalable/actions/system-lock-screen.svg
You also might need to change all the .pngs, if the theme has them.

Return to “Xfce”