XFCE and Wi-fi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nikos

XFCE and Wi-fi

Post by nikos »

Hi All,
I gave a try to XFCE with the live CD before to install, but I was unable to make work the Belkin zd1211 usb wireless stick with wicd. I connect to the router but no internet connection. I tried all possible combination with no success. I have a fixed ip assigned by the router to the Belkin stick and also DNS are assigned by the router. I also tried to insert the ip and DNS into the wicd but nothing happens. I don't have any problem with Ubuntu 8.04 or Mint 5 with the 2.6.24 kernel. It should be a DNS problem. I suspect that the problem arises with the newer kernel used by XFCE. Any suggestions to try. I will greatly appreciate any help.
Nikos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: XFCE and Wi-fi

Post by Husse »

For me it has varied - sometimes I've managed to just get out on the internet, sometimes I've only managed to get to the router (wired)
So I wrote a short guide in the troublehsooter
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs
This may help you
nikos

Post by nikos »

Thank you Husse, your guide didn't help me to solve the problem. I have a reserved ip address assigned by the router to the Belkin stick, but even if a put another ip into wicd it always connects to the router!, but no internet. Ubuntu and Mink KDE CE work fine with live CD and installed too. I only insert my wep passphrase, ip and DNS are assigned by the router automatically, I checked the resolv.conf file, so network manager works fine in roaming mode. I will continue trying and let you know.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I connect to the router but no internet connection.
Can you ping an IP?
Try

Code: Select all

ping -c 4 72.14.207.99 
This is a google IP (google.com)
If you get a response we know that you have a name resolution problem and the solution in the troubleshooter is a likely solution

Return to “Xfce”