Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pantek
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pantek » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:04 am

My installation of LM17 XFCE worked perfectly so far. This morning I decided to create a second user on the laptop.
Strangely, when I log in with this new user, the screen remains black only showing the mouse cursor. I left it like that for 30 minutes and no change. Working with the original user I have been using for months now is no problem at all.

I marked the new user as a administrator to avoid some kind of access privilege problem, same result.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with this new user?

Thanks!
Jan

pfd27
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pfd27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm having the same problem, but I didn't do anything before it happened. Mate started lagging out and after I rebooted I get the black screen.

pantek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black screen with mouse cursor after login

Post by pantek » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 am

ByeByeXP wrote:Greetings! This does look like a "privilege problem" -- the session is properly started (display flips from login window to black with mouse cursor), but the window manager (XFWM) is unable to setup the GUI (XFCE-panel & -desktop) ... I had a similar problem on LM16-XFCE even though i had flagged the 2nd ID as "Administrator", just like you did. The way i got the 2nd ID to work was: i compared the group-membership of my original/1st ID to my 2nd ID, then enabled the 2nd ID in every group my 1st ID was activated. Surely there are commands to do this, but i'm just a noob so i just used the "Users and Groups" gui (part of "gnome-system-tools").
Hey ByeByeXP! :)
Thanks for your reply! I also compared the two users manually using the GUI (I'm too nooby for anything else) and the only group they did not share was Bumblebee. I don't think this is used to start up the GUI but I added to second user to the group anyway. Unfortunately it did not change anything. :cry:

Return to “Xfce”