Xfce13 Can't Move Items in Panel?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Xfce13 Can't Move Items in Panel?

Post by pcpunk »

I've done this before but now can't move Items in Panel. Now my Time/Date/Updater/Internet stuff is all to the left, when I like it all to the right like default. Panel is Unlocked, then I right Click and choose Move...but cannot. Even tried going to Panel Preferences to light up Panel and tried the Move option again to no avail.

Thanks pcpunk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce13 Can't Move Items in Panel?

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi pcpunk,

Did you have a "separator" in the panel that got deleted? Perhaps you need one on the left so you can move items to the right of it.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Not sure what you are asking, or saying, but, there is no Separator to the right, so this should not be impeded. Just added a Separator to the left as you said but it did not help. I just can't grab and move it for some reason? When I try - I get the little Red bar on one side of Time Date Icon, then when I move to the other side of icon the little red bar goes to the other side but nothing happens.

One thing I do notice, is that when the Panel Preferences is open, it says #2 Panel at top? But, when I choose what I want it is all lit up like it is trying to do something, again?

Thanks pc
Super Clean Runs Perfect
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi pcpunk,

A couple of things:
I have Panel 0 at the top and Panel 1 at the bottom. If I open Settings -> Panel then the panel that has focus is surrounded by red dots. How many panels do you have? If you open Settings -> Panel is the panel that has focus is surrounded by red dots?

You can see in Settings -> Panel how many panels XFCE thinks you have by selecting the up down arrows at the top of the window. Is it correct?

Both panels are locked but I can still moves items around.
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

there should be a separator (with expand box ticked) right in the middle of anything you want on the left and what you want on the right. The "expand" will make it push everything after it all the way to the right.

Like so:

Whisker Menu
Launcher (terminal)
Launcher (Thunar)
Launcher (Firefox)
Window Buttons
Separator (expand ticked)
*expanded empty space*
*expanded empty space*
*expanded empty space*
*expanded empty space*
*expanded empty space*
Notification Area
Clock
mansonfan78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mansonfan78 »

Have you tried moving the items from the "Panel Preferences" - "Items" list as opposed to clicking and dragging on the panel?
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

GeneBenson wrote:Hi pcpunk,

A couple of things:
I have Panel 0 at the top and Panel 1 at the bottom. If I open Settings -> Panel then the panel that has focus is surrounded by red dots. How many panels do you have? If you open Settings -> Panel is the panel that has focus is surrounded by red dots?

You can see in Settings -> Panel how many panels XFCE thinks you have by selecting the up down arrows at the top of the window. Is it correct?

Both panels are locked but I can still moves items around.
I have only Panel 2.

Only one Panel

Yes Surrounded by red dots

It's not Settings It's Panel Preferences
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Quexos wrote:there should be a separator (with expand box ticked) right in the middle of anything you want on the left and what you want on the right. The "expand" will make it push everything after it all the way to the right.
This was the ticket Quexos, thanks very much, now I need to remember that little trick! I knew it at one time but it's hard to find these little bits of info sometimes. I had not used my Xfce-13 in quite a while, need to see if 17.2 is similar, because I run that one via. LiveUSB and love it. This is my test bed that just havn't got around to using lately.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Quexos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Quexos »

Haha, yeah, I experimented with several distros and desk top environments, Cinnamon, two types of MATE, Xfce, and I started to get confused which options and behaviors are from which DE. I've decided I like Xfce the best now though, so getting pretty used to it and digging into it a bit more than the others.

I am running 17.2 Xfce and liking it. I tried 17.3 Cinnamon and MATE but did not care for this or that (MATE still crashes big time when I try to change the wallpaper) and went back to good old Xfce. Can't wait for the 17.3 version, and hope they don't bork anything up (Yeah, I'm a cynical bastage).
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yeah, I love it also - and want to install the newer version on this pc...but the graphics don't work for some reason. I just started a thread elsewhere, if I don't get an answer soon I will post here. This 13 version is not that good, well, it's okay if the graphics worked better, but just ran 17.1 on it and it is way better. I ran many distro's on this machine but could find none that worked well with graphics, this one has been the best. Don't want to ditch it hastily either as there are many programs that I worked hard to get installed.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Xfce”